Brett Stewart under investigation for alleged sexual assault

I wonder if there would be any legal avenue for Stewart to pursue should he be stood down and then found not guilty or have the charges dropped. Risky move by the NRL if there is, unless they have some reason to be convinced of his guilt.

He should be dropped I don't care if he's not found guilty yet. He should not be allowed to play unless he is cleared.

So on that basis, what if some random made up a story? You think the player should be stood down automatically?

He has been charged. That means the police have enough evidence in their eyes to get him on it.

That's why he should be stood down. Pending further progress.

You have to wonder how drunk a high-profile player needs to be to try to "sexually assault" (what is this? rape? attempted rape? Cloth tit?) a girl right outside his AND her front door. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Probably pretty drunk. But 6 (or so) hours of free drinks and a total lack of self-control will do that to you.

gUt said:
You have to wonder how drunk a high-profile player needs to be to try to "sexually assault" (what is this? rape? attempted rape? Cloth tit?) a girl right outside his AND her front door. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

He claims to remember almost nothing about the night, so I'd say he was extremely drunk and/or high.

I do think the key thing here is that there are charges. The next step would be the committal hearing (I think). If the outcome of that is the magistrate believes there's sufficient evidence to go to trial then I think it's reasonable to suspend him until the outcome of that trial.

It was a dangerous precedent they (the NRL) set when they stood down Bird/Crockett/Lacey, but they made their bed and now they're lying in it.

Now it is a warning to all players to be on their best behaviour. Don't even let themselves get into a compromising position.

Wow big call. I'm not sure I entirely agree with the suspension, but it's nice to see the NRL finally get some balls. They've also fined Manly $100,000 for the whole disastrous night.

mrslong said:
It was a dangerous precedent they (the NRL) set when they stood down Bird/Crockett/Lacey, but they made their bed and now they're lying in it.

If I recall correctly, those players were banned by their club long before the NRL got involved..? I think this incidence sets a whole new precedent.

Good. It's about bloody time the NRL showed that they are not messing around, and will go above their clubs. The bullshit from the drunken nights out needs to stop.

gUt said:
He's diabetic don't forget, they can have about 4 drinks max without having their sugars sky-rocketting, one would assume his tolerance to alcohol is lower than most NRL footballers because he would drink less (if he is smart and is managing his Diabetes, which you would think he would have it under control as he is one of the most pristine athletes in the country)

schmix said:
Wow big call. I'm not sure I entirely agree with the suspension, but it's nice to see the NRL finally get some balls. They've also fined Manly $100,000 for the whole disastrous night.

mrslong said:

If I recall correctly, those players were banned by their club long before the NRL got involved..? I think this incidence sets a whole new precedent.
Hmm true that. I suppose their supporting the clubs, and now having Manly say they aren't going to do it made them step up.

I just hope the cops have some serious evidence against Stewart, and that it's not just going to be a her word against his type scenario, because that would open the flood-gates for anyone wanting revenge on a footy player.

Assassin said:
Can't beleive Stewarts been charged with rapeing a 17 year old and he's still playing this weekend....

First let's be clear - he has been charged with Sexual Assault NOT Rape. While still a serious and completely unjustifiable offense Sexual Assault is not as bad as Rape.

The Bulldogs fans should be the last ones to be abusing any player for alleged sexual mis-conduct given the allegations made against players of their own clubs on more than one occasion.

I am in 2 minds about him being stood down. On the one hand I can see where the NRL are coming from in regards to protecting the image of the game, but let's say he is found not guilty and absolved of any wrong-doing and in the meantime Manly has lost every game without him playing - there's going to be a case for some kind of legal action by either Stewart or the Manly club or both. I can understand Manly not wanting to stand him down because by doing that they are admitting he did something and lends weight to their own culpability in allowing him to get so drunk at a club function. Glad to see the NRL has taken action against the club for that as well though.

mrslong said:
I just hope the cops have some serious evidence against Stewart, and that it's not just going to be a her word against his type scenario, because that would open the flood-gates for anyone wanting revenge on a footy player.

They would have to have some pretty solid evidence to lay charges. Which is why most players involved in these type allegations in the past have not been charged - little to no evidence and not much more than her word against his - the fact they have charged Stewart tells me they have much more.

I just hope the process doesn't get slowed down in any way and that whatever did happen all comes out and is justly dealt with in a timely manner. I hope they don't rush it through just to get a closure but also that it doesn't just drag on.

I feel exactly the same way as you Flutterby. I'd be quite concerned about the ramifications if Stewart is either found not guilty or the charges are dropped and he's been stood down for however long. I can only assume that the NRL has done some serious homework with their legal team and have covered all bases otherwise they could be in a spot of bother.

The NRL are covering themselves by saying it's been accepted that Stewart drank excessively at an official function and thus has breached their code of conduct.

That way they're not saying he's being stood down due to sexual assault charges, but because of boozing.

Broken Link.

If that's the girl with the Dolce and Gabbana (can't spell) shirt, then that's not her. That's the sponsor's daughter.

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • theshed
  • thenry
  • Financeguy
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Alec
  • lynx000
  • BooKhaki
  • GCBRONCO
  • Waynesaurus
  • johnny plath
  • mrslong
  • Midean
  • Bucking Beads
  • Nerd
  • Justwin
  • Strop
  • The Strapper
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.