Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joffa was congragulating Herbie on re-signing in instagram, must be true, hoping.

If we could somehow offload Milford and Bird and with Boyd and Fifita not here next year we will have some real cash to make a dent in the player market.
We have three areas that need improving from what I can see (not including the obvious one of our defence).
1. We need more metres from our back 3 coming out of trouble. I think as Coates and Farnsworth get bigger and grow this might resolve itself.
2. We need a good fullback. Better judges then me have said Niu is going to be good there but I haven’t seen anything to suggest he is going to be a superstar. We need a superstar there. I’d be happy to sign Alex Johnston to play wing and let Niu have a full off season. If he doesn’t work out Johnston to play fullback next year until a good Fullback comes into the market.
3. We need a good half to partner Dearden. He looks good to me and with a decent halves partner he only get better.

So with all that in mind in a perfect world I’d make the following changes. Bird, Milford, Fifita, Boyd gone. Sign Cam Smith to a one year deal and Alex Johnston. Use the Smith money when he retires to go hard for a superstar fullback if Niu doesn’t work out.

1. Niu / Johnston
2. Coates
3. Farnsworth / Niu
4. Staggs
5. Farnsworth / Johnston
6. Dearden
7. Smith
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Glenn
12. TPJ
13. Carrigan
14. Paix
15. Fleglar
16. Offa
17. Bullemore

If we could somehow offload Milford and Bird and with Boyd and Fifita not here next year we will have some real cash to make a dent in the player market.
We have three areas that need improving from what I can see (not including the obvious one of our defence).
1. We need more metres from our back 3 coming out of trouble. I think as Coates and Farnsworth get bigger and grow this might resolve itself.
2. We need a good fullback. Better judges then me have said Niu is going to be good there but I haven’t seen anything to suggest he is going to be a superstar. We need a superstar there. I’d be happy to sign Alex Johnston to play wing and let Niu have a full off season. If he doesn’t work out Johnston to play fullback next year until a good Fullback comes into the market.
3. We need a good half to partner Dearden. He looks good to me and with a decent halves partner he only get better.

So with all that in mind in a perfect world I’d make the following changes. Bird, Milford, Fifita, Boyd gone. Sign Cam Smith to a one year deal and Alex Johnston. Use the Smith money when he retires to go hard for a superstar fullback if Niu doesn’t work out.

1. Niu / Johnston
2. Coates
3. Farnsworth / Niu
4. Staggs
5. Farnsworth / Johnston
6. Dearden
7. Smith
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Glenn
12. TPJ
13. Carrigan
14. Paix
15. Fleglar
16. Offa
17. Bullemore

Not that we have much choice unless some elite fullback makes themselves available in the offseason but my concern with Niu is that he only signed a 1 year extension, and based on his dads post and the timing of things, I suspect we will just be developing him for a year only to go the Titans in 2022.

I think it is stupid people talking about signing smith i can see how it could be good in a way for short term, i want to start having a permanent halfback in such as Dearden, and find someone who will be there to pair him for a while as well. Im over swapping and changes its bad for the team. If milf and Dearden work well together like they did last year, keep them there good for milf to play his best footy running/kicking when he can while Dearden controlls most of the kicking game and steers the team around will only get better with experience. cant find a spot for crofty.

Last edited:
I think it is stupid people talking about signing smith i can see how it could be good in a way for short term, i want to start having a permanent halfback in such as Dearden, and find someone who will be there to pair him for a while as well. Im over swapping and changes its bad for the team. If milf and Dearden work well together like they did last year, keep them there good for milf to play his best footy running/kicking when he can while Dearden controlls most of the kicking game and steers the team around will only get better with experience. cant find a spot for crofty.
I agree, maybe as an assistant coach. But if we want a 9 we go hard for grant and build around him and dearden. Next in line is the fullback , not sure about Nui but it's still early days for him. What we lost in Fifita is x factor, so replace him with someone similar and that's in whatever position . In saying that TPJ , staggs and Coates could all cover for the loss.

I don't know what is worse.... The fact that Pies is telegraphing any sort of intent to sign Cameron Smith to the media or that we would have to hear references to 'Smithy' hundreds of times in the next few months.. Heaven help!

I don't think Cam Smith the player is the answer to this mess... I would take his influence as an assistant / support staff / just get him around the club, but I don't think paying $1.5m / year for a one year loan is a good return on investment.

Having said that, I think its beyond unlikely that he would ever agree to an off-field position with anyone other than the Storm and I'm willing to bet any agreement with Melbourne would probably be preceded by him stuffing us around first, giving us false hope, drawing a huge offer and then assisting the Storm again regardless.

I don't know what is worse.... The fact that Pies is telegraphing any sort of intent to sign Cameron Smith to the media or that we would have to hear references to 'Smithy' hundreds of times in the next few months.. Heaven help!

Given the way he shortens name it would actually be ‘Smitty’.

Well here we go.... QLD borders are being closed so maybe this season from outer space is not long to go?

Confusion still reins.

Last edited:
I don't see any reference in there to 'wouldn't happen', looks like he's spilled the beans on some internal dialogue going on at the club about potential recruits.

Take this with a grain of salt, sugar, pepper, whatever .. Apparently Cameron & Barb Smith sold their house in Melbourne recently and are in the process of moving to Brisbane.. that's all, nothing Broncos-related but hopefully something is in the works.

Wish Seib would just stfu for a minute and stop snitching about contract talks.
If he did say 'We'd consider it' in regards making an offer to the GOAT he definitely needs to stfu.

The right answer so as not to cause any needless offence is 'of course we would. Who wouldn't want the best player of all time to play for their club?'

Take this with a grain of salt, sugar, pepper, whatever .. Apparently Cameron & Barb Smith sold their house in Melbourne recently and are in the process of moving to Brisbane.. that's all, nothing Broncos-related but hopefully something is in the works.

Barb has always wanted to return to Brisbane to be closer to family up here.

Confusion still reins.

not confusion ... just a journo asking a question with only one possible answer then focusing on that instead of bit where he says it is likely unrealistic.

there is not a coach in the game that would say they have no interest in signing Cameron Smith when asked about the possibility. it's not like seibs contacted this journo and stated the Broncos are chasing Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncs1459
  • broncoscope
  • bert_lifts
  • kiwibronco
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncosarethebest
  • mystico
  • Ronald
  • phoenix
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Xzei
  • Tim K
  • Maroon4life
  • mitch222
  • theshed
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.