Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember when Rothfield was actively trying to justify how the Roosters weren't over the cap early this year? One of his points (no doubt given to him by Uncle Nick) was that Ferguson was on chump cash because he was offered a take it or leave it deal based on his behaviour. Now that Ferguson is leaving, the talking point will be, "We've lost an international and that frees up international player money."

I get that you seem to have a better ear to the team than other here but what you say makes little sense.

There doesn't have to be moving Milf - a half is a half these days. Its fair money for a 3rd half/center who is a big body to help cover a smaller half inside him.

Its not logical to be considering bird at lock when you look at the talent we have in the ranks...so it would make no sense to spend 700k on him planning for him to compete against younger and cheaper talent. His only real position is centre with the adjunction of being an additional half. Anywhere else is just paying overs?

We need a playmaking half with more of a kicking game and more game management, which isnt Bird so he wont be playing half, and I dont see Wayne playing him in the centers on the money he is on when he needs to be around the ball and involved a lot more than at center.

While I agree we have some fair talent coming through, they might not be suited to play the lock role how I believe Bennett wants to play Bird. He has been shoehorned in the team to get fitness.

Not by any stretch am I having a dig at you, but the problem with the bold portion of your comment is that, for example, Oates sees second row as his best position.

There’s been hefty debate on here about this very topic, with only a handful of people on this forum thinking it’s a good idea to move him to second row. Bennett also seems to agree with the majority, publicly at least, and has said he won’t be doing it.

With that in mind, it would seem rather strange to sign someone knowing you had to reshuffle the side to accommodate them when you won’t do it for another player who has at least got the runs on the board for the Broncos.

As an example and to touch on some of your earlier comments; if we wanted a ball playing lock, what would have been far less disruptive to the team during the offseason, not to mention cheaper, would be to move Gillett to 13 and give Oates a shot at 12. I don’t doubt for a second that Gillett could be just as good as Bird at lock, if not better.

I must reiterate, I was OK with the Bird signing. But his injuries aside, it’s looking like a more curious signing with each passing day.

I just think Wayne had a clear plan for Bird and how he would affect how the team plays and its been blown out of the water by his injuries.

I think the Oates comparison is a little different because while corey says he wants to play back row, he still plays on the wing without any fuss. Bird plays at center like he is being put out imo. To me, I dont see bird coming here if he isnt in a position he gets a lot of the ball. That wont be center and the other positions are filled. We probably wont know our true plans for him until he is fit.

I get that you seem to have a better ear to the team than other here but what you say makes little sense.

There doesn't have to be moving Milf - a half is a half these days. Its fair money for a 3rd half/center who is a big body to help cover a smaller half inside him.

Its not logical to be considering bird at lock when you look at the talent we have in the ranks...so it would make no sense to spend 700k on him planning for him to compete against younger and cheaper talent. His only real position is centre with the adjunction of being an additional half. Anywhere else is just paying overs?

So a swap + $$$ for Corey norman Yeah?

We need a playmaking half with more of a kicking game and more game management, which isnt Bird so he wont be playing half, and I dont see Wayne playing him in the centers on the money he is on when he needs to be around the ball and involved a lot more than at center.

While I agree we have some fair talent coming through, they might not be suited to play the lock role how I believe Bennett wants to play Bird. He has been shoehorned in the team to get fitness.

Well then the issue becomes our CAP if Bird is to play lock. We have too many younger guys that need reasonable money to lock up. Birds salary is approx 2 of them - so who do we let go in lieu of fitting bird to lock?

The idea of the ball playing lock just stunts attack these days. You can see what happened to the bulldogs with having their forwards involved in ball movements.

I hate our attacking structure when McGuire is first reciever.

We need a real 7 that gets the ball more than once every set and is the first reciever.

We don't have anyone who can dictate terms in a match with that style.

Ball playing locks are overrated. Would much rather Taumalolo. ( or Tevita Pangai in broncos case )

The idea of the ball playing lock just stunts attack these days. You can see what happened to the bulldogs with having their forwards involved in ball movements.

We need a real 7 that gets the ball more than once every set and is the first reciever.

Ball playing locks are overrated. Would much rather Taumalolo. ( or Tevita Pangai in broncos case )

Ellery Hanley was overrated?

The Bulldogs made two GF's on the back of their forwards being involved in ball movements.

Teams today are much sharper from compression to slide than 2-4 years ago. Ball playing lock in most situations does cause a bottle neck.

Yeah it really hasn't changed.

There is still a lot of value for ballplaying forwards. Jake Trbojevic the best example.

Don't get me wrong. Ball playing ability is always a plus with any player in the side. Jake Trbojevic is an amazing lock. He's not a lock because he can ball play though.

I share the concerns regarding Jack Bird, however I'm not prepared to make a judgement on him until he is fully fit

I'm hopeful that a fully fit Bird with a full pre-season, will be an asset to this football team no matter what position Wayne gives him

Teams today are much sharper from compression to slide than 2-4 years ago. Ball playing lock in most situations does cause a bottle neck.
Not suggesting anything positive or negative re Bird as a lock, but to me the locks doing the "ball playing" in today's game offer very little threat to the line... their passes to initiate the sweep are telegraphed and easily covered or they just take a hit up.

Graham is about the only ball playing middle that offers threat because he takes it to the line and can play short or run to get one-on-one and a quick PTB. Jurbo is another, but there aren't many really threatening the line

Moving forward the intention could switch to Bird as 6 Milf as 7. Seems to be an obvious play to get Milf more involved in the kicking and management of the team this year.

Bird's pedigree as a running 6 were set pretty high in his debut season at the sharks... albeit a little one dimensional

I won't have egg on my face if or when Jack Bird performs. I will still believe he was the wrong signing for us. I thought it was wrong as soon as the news came out that he had signed. It's the wrong signing for us regardless of the cash he is getting paid.. the cash just makes it hurt more..
So if youre proven wrong youre still right? So its a win-win for you...

Yeah it really hasn't changed.

There is still a lot of value for ballplaying forwards. Jake Trbojevic the best example.

Some teams also still have forwards involved in the ball movements and are successful, such as the Dragons with James Graham.

Wouldn't really call him a ball playing lock though . Can pass and offload but not in the glenn Stewart type mould , more like c. Parker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• HarryAllan7
  • Broncosgirl
  • Behold
  • Aldo
  • johnny plath
  • Tim K
  • IceWorks
  • Cavalo
  • Manifesto
  • Financeguy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • jarro65
  • mystico
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Dash
  • Gympie devil
  • Fozz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Harry Sack
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.