Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watch pretty much every NRL game each week, including the Titans and would have to say the Dale has his bright moments, shows surprising speed at times when making the odd break, can put his winger over in the corner, and I think his defence has improved from his last stint here. However, he still tends to have butter fingers at times, and does seem to pick up injuries more than you would like. I do like his commitment and work ethic though, as well as being an excellent clubman.

I remember reading he was promised a centre position with us, but then the opportunity to sign Roberts came up and Dale probably thought he would get more opportunities at the Titans. If we could get him for around that $200k mark, more or less, I don't think he would be the worst signing we could make.
Trouble with Copley is his form re injuries. Its as bad as Kahu. No doubting the off field integrity of either player though.

I think there’s better options but if they’ll take one year contracts I’d take Proctor, Opacic and Copley. We have to spend our money somehow and if we can’t get Smith, Welch, Bromwich, Nicho Hynes, Guerra, johnston etc.

We are a desperate club now, so until things change we won’t be the preferred option for high profile players. I think we will see automatic changes in the quality of our team pretty quickly though. Next year won’t be great but we will be better. 2022 is when shit will become great again. Seibold and the board forced a rebuild when all we needed was a halfback. Now we need a fullback, a centre, a five eight, a prop and a second rower.

1000% disagree ... Fifita left because he was offered to be made the highest paid forward in the history of the game (and equal highest paid player)
Even to put Fifita solely on him is mostly unfair. It severely lets White, Lockyer and whoever else forms our recruitment and retention committee off the hook for something they are arguably even more responsible for than Seibold is.

The role of the Titans insane offer itself also cannot be overstated enough too.
Fair point guys.

On Proctor offering himself to the Broncos I figure I've probably got the most knowledge here of his last few years so will give my 2 cents. Given how big his contract was I am not going to lie he was a bit of a disappointment with (as I read somewhere above) him really not threatening the line very often. The Taylor short ball to Proctor became a grievance to a lot of fans as it was ineffective all the time. Sure he may have some of the better defensive stats of 2nd rowers in the comp but until recently has offered little else. To be fair to him, it is hard to say whether he is playing well for a new contract or just lost form in what was a poor side over the last couple years and with better structures is starting to improve. I think the general sentiment on our side is his experience and leadership would be good to keep around but at a reduced price and I am sure he has been offered a contract reflecting this. I get that it is probably his retirement contract though so if he heads elsewhere fair enough. Would be a desperation signing on your end though and wouldn't recommend it. On Copley, I actually think he is a decent player, just the injuries are a big problem so not sure how much value you would get but he would come cheap as chips I assume.

On Proctor offering himself to the Broncos I figure I've probably got the most knowledge here of his last few years so will give my 2 cents. Given how big his contract was I am not going to lie he was a bit of a disappointment with (as I read somewhere above) him really not threatening the line very often. The Taylor short ball to Proctor became a grievance to a lot of fans as it was ineffective all the time. Sure he may have some of the better defensive stats of 2nd rowers in the comp but until recently has offered little else. To be fair to him, it is hard to say whether he is playing well for a new contract or just lost form in what was a poor side over the last couple years and with better structures is starting to improve. I think the general sentiment on our side is his experience and leadership would be good to keep around but at a reduced price and I am sure he has been offered a contract reflecting this. I get that it is probably his retirement contract though so if he heads elsewhere fair enough. Would be a desperation signing on your end though and wouldn't recommend it. On Copley, I actually think he is a decent player, just the injuries are a big problem so not sure how much value you would get but he would come cheap as chips I assume.

Defense, this is where our side is lacking, if he brings that on a fair contract, I'm absolutely fine with it. If he comes on a retirement package, I wouldn't be surprised and will once again be disappointed.

Su'A was 100% on Seibold. He was signed through till 2020 on a good deal with the club after he knocked Seibs back at Souths. He came into 2019 worst for wear after a serious ankle injury and like a lot of players around him, just didn't seem to receive the support he should have.

I'm not going to pretend he instantly improved the second he came to Souths, but over the past couple of months he's really started displaying the type of form he promised in 2018 and he's become a really solid option for them on that right fringe.

I hope now that the Broncos have cleared the decks, they can make a play for him for 2022, even get in early and see if he wants to come home in 2021.

I was far from happy when Seibold effectively traded him for Kennedy.

Last edited:
Defense, this is where our side is lacking, if he brings that on a fair contract, I'm absolutely fine with it. If he comes on a retirement package, I wouldn't be surprised and will once again be disappointed.

How I see a problem with getting Proctor purely based on defence is realistically he would probably only very marginally improve the defence. I admit I am no expert/coach, however, I would assume in attack this would leave you much more one dimensional with him not really troubling the opposing line. I say this as it leaves you with only the options of barging over the middle or spreading it to out wide which I would assume would become predictable with the 2nd row having little impact. That is why I feel getting Fifita was big for the Titans personally. Obviously it is different for fullbacks but I would compare it to Brimson and (to a smaller extent even Boyd) coming back at fullback. It just creates that doubt in defenders, adds an extra element to shapes and gives the outside backs more space with the last few weeks the Titans line breaks and attack in general improving significantly. (Hope you can make sense of that it was a struggle too contextualise.) It is actually why I have been excited to see Fermor in the team lately, he may have defensive deficiencies currently (which should be able to be reduced a lot if given time to gel etc.), however, I feel the benefits in attack counteract this. I would assume with what I have heard about some of the Broncos juniors a similar line of thought could be applied given time to learn the defensive structure and improve.

Su'A was 100% on Seibold. He was signed through till 2020 on a good deal with the club after he knocked Seibs back at Souths. He came into 2019 worst for wear after a serious ankle injury and like a lot of players around him, just didn't seem to receive the support he should have.

I'm not going to pretend he instantly improved the second he came to Souths, but over the past couple of months he's really started displaying the type of form he promised in 2018 and he's become a really solid option for them on that right fringe.

I hope now that the Broncos have cleared the decks, they can make a play for him for 2022, even get in early and see if he wants to come home in 2021.

I was far from happy Seibold effectively traded him for Kennedy.

100%? Really? C'mon, mate, that is just too much. Like a said before, he was 3rd or 4th in line with Glenn and Fifita and possibly Oates in front of him. Some of the decision to leave would have been his own, and some would have been Bennett.

Trading him for Kennedy was probably not a bad choice either considering the lack of depth and injuries to props we seem to be getting.

Su'a probably deserved to be running on. He's come into form with more game time. Stupidly enough, playing on the bench can be counterproductive because it limits your real game experience. If anything, Seibold allowed a young man to chase his dream and show the NRL what he had to offer. This isn't Pokemon, you can't catch 'em all. Should Seibold have shopped Oates? The captain Glenn? Fifita?

We have Riki, Palasia, Piakura. All apparently "next big things". Let's see what we can get from them before we pine for an ex.

Last edited:
100%? Really? C'mon, mate, that is just too much. Like a said before, he was 3rd or 4th in line with Glenn and Fifita and possibly Oates in front of him. Some of the decision to leave would have been his own, and some would have been Bennett.

The only player infront of him was Fifita who can play either side (same with Su'A who primarily played left in juniors). Glenn was being shopped around and Gillett was being shifted around since he wasn't far from retirement himself. Oates wasn't even being considered an edge forward at the time, that experiment had been abandoned.

The only player infront of him was Fifita who can play either side (same with Su'A who primarily played left in juniors). Glenn was being shopped around and Gillett was being shifted around since he wasn't far from retirement himself. Oates wasn't even being considered an edge forward at the time, that experiment had been abandoned.
And that uncertainty had nothing to do with Su'a seeking out a more stable contract? Seibold didn't just start shopping him. Su'a was sought out by Bennett

And that uncertainty had nothing to do with Su'a seeking out a more stable contract? Seibold didn't just start shopping him. Su'a was sought out by Bennett

Seibs is the coach, he fostered that environment. Su'A wasn't the first and won't be the last player to be courted by an opposition coach, there's probably been a dozen instances in the past week alone.

It should never have played out the way that it did.

Someone posted this in a group I'm in. However, I can't find the actual post anywhere, or anything backing this up.

Attachments

• fifita.jpg
    fifita.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 181
Seibs is the coach, he fostered that environment. Su'A wasn't the first and won't be the last player to be courted by an opposition coach, there's probably been a dozen instances in the past week alone.

It should never have played out the way that it did.
I'm with you Pete. I was severly pissed when Su'a left. I've watched him at Souths and he is quietly developing into a very reliable backrower. His error rate seems to have dropped off and his cover defence for Reynolds is starting to become a real asset to his team. Littl4e wonder that Reynolds has been touted as playing his best footy ever. Don't forget Su'a's body will not properly harden to the rigours of the NRL for another year or two. By then he'll be Qld's answer to Frizell.

Ok, believe what you will, and yes Seibs fostered the environment. But Seibold wanted to buy him when he was coaching Souths. Then Su'A hit a spot of bad form and from all reports felt the pressure of underperforming at the Broncos. He chose to chase the opportunity to go to Souths.

Yes, it is a shame he is now playing well. Yes, it's a shame Seibold flopped. The combination was not working. If it means he is now played into form, then good for him. Let's not lump it 100% on Seibold. Seibold had hopes for him that didn't pan out. Bennett was also interested and Su'A made the decision to leave. Maybe you can see why I disagree with the 100% figure.

Why hasn’t Dearden been re-signed already?

a) he isn't off contract

b) it is likely contract negotiations will be put on hold temporarily until a new coach is hired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • jarro65
  • BroncoFan94
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Skathen
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Rambstien
  • Johnny92
  • winslow_wong
  • Foordy
  • marw
  • Bucking Beads
  • Brocko
  • ozzball
  • Fitzy
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Jazza
  • Fatboy
  • Shane Tronc
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.