Broncos Player Movements and Rumours 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bronco bob

NYC Player
Aug 9, 2012
According to the CM this morning we are back in the race for Thurston and looks like the biggest threat to get him from the Cowboys

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
THE Broncos face a fight to retain boom five-eighth Corey Norman with Parramatta secretly targeting the Queensland Origin hopeful.

The revelation came as the Broncos torpedoed fresh speculation the club was putting together a big-money package to poach Johnathan Thurston from the Cowboys.

Having missed out on Cowboys front-row enforcers James Tamou and Matt Scott in the past three months, the Eels are cashed-up and coach Ricky Stuart is continuing to scour the player market.

Now Norman, Brisbane's most exciting young playmaker, is on the Eels' radar.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...man-from-broncos/story-e6frep5x-1226579664880

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Such is Thurston's standing in the game, his manager Sam Ayoub has not been shopping him around the clubs. Instead, they have been knocking his door down.

The champion halfback or five-eighth is in no hurry to make a decision.

Ayoub met with Cowboys officials last week for further talks. They remain the favourites. But, according to sources, the Broncos have emerged as the biggest threat.

They are desperate to find a playmaker who can deliver another premiership to Brisbane.

Thurston and his manager are closely considering what clubs can offer in life after football as this will be his last playing contract.

The fact the Broncos are in a one-team town, with such huge corporate support, weighs heavily in their favour.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...rls-biggest-deal/story-e6freraf-1226579524121

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Brisbane do have heaps going for them in luring him here, I'm sure he would love to return home as well and I'd imagine he has a lot of family in Logan. (Unless they moved to the Gold Coast a few weeks back ;))

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I know this sounds stupid but I honestly feel like we will get him. My gut feeling is the feeling is the deal is already done. I felt like when the rumour spread that the broncs baulked at his price that was when the deal had been done, but both parties are wanting to wait until later in the year to announce. Probably just getting carried away but I can't shake the feeling

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
That article loses credibility when naming Norman as a Origin hopeful.

Offer the cowboys him for JT

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Apparently the RLW mole has been saying for ages that the Broncos will get Thurston.

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
They lose Norman and our roster could take years to recover. It's one thing to have a policy of recruiting from within, which is admirable and i agree with, but you can't then let them leave so easily. The argument against signing an ageing Thurston is that it would be at the expense of a young Norman and Hunt etc, negating the time and money the club spent on their development. If we were to then lose Norman to the eels anyway without picking up Thurston we will end up even worse off, left with a 35yr old half in his final year and no logical replacement. It's highly likely Hunt will move on for greater opportunities and the playmaking talent just isn't really there in 20's to fill the gap, leaving Kahu as our only other halves option left on our books. I really hope the club has a plan b.

Last edited:
Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
There was going to come a time when we started losing our promising talents. It started last year when Beale left and I think we'll see one go each year. It was fine having these kids while we had a strong influence like Lockyer around, now that he's not there, we saw last year what happens. They can be great at the start of the season when the pressure to perform isn't as strong as it is late in the season. If we have to let go of Norman to get Thurston, then so be it. The problem will come if we lose both Norman and Hunt. If we do get Thurston, how good will a Thurston/Prince or Thurston/Wallace partnership be. Hodges will finally get some good ball!

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
There was going to come a time when we started losing our promising talents. It started last year when Beale left and I think we'll see one go each year. It was fine having these kids while we had a strong influence like Lockyer around, now that he's not there, we saw last year what happens. They can be great at the start of the season when the pressure to perform isn't as strong as it is late in the season. If we have to let go of Norman to get Thurston, then so be it. The problem will come if we lose both Norman and Hunt. If we do get Thurston, how good will a Thurston/Prince or Thurston/Wallace partnership be. Hodges will finally get some good ball!
I could understand the club not putting up much of a fight for Beale, he was a solid back which we are well served for in the short term and easily replaced in the long term. While it was discipline related, losing Gagai is the one that's going to sting, especially now when we're all craving some spark from FB, he is a real naturally gifted footballer that had the potential to be our Greg Inglis.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Browny;2471342[B said:
]That article loses credibility when naming Norman as a Origin hopeful.[/B]
Offer the cowboys him for JT

I remember the CM named Chris Sandow a QLD origin hopeful during the pre-season last year.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
I'm sure every QLD eligible player running around the NRL is an 'Origin Hopeful'. Not exactly poor writing from the Courier Mail is it?

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
When it's used in that context yes. Shit I'm an Origin hopeful

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Rumour on twitter I have just seen is that the Eels are trying to poach Corey Norman.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
He'd be mad to leave us for the Eels.

T

tkday

Banned User
Mar 10, 2010
The Broncos have the cash and deals to go past 1.2million a season for Thurston. No talks have gone on between the club and Thurston since he visited some time back, but I do know we are still obviously interested. I heard it's between Broncos, Cowboys and someone else? Who else could he be considering?

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
Probably the dogs and their bottomless pit of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Maroon4life
  • Harry Sack
  • Ozired
  • broncsgoat
  • Bucking Beads
  • Huge
  • Aldo
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Robboi_321
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.