Broncos Player Movements and Rumours 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a grand total of 3 players worth signing, but we might have to compete with 15 other clubs.

There are a grand total of 3 players worth signing, but we might have to compete with 15 other clubs.

And we *should* have the most cap space out of pretty much all of them. Plus the third party deals. We *should* be able to get whoever we want right now...

Won't happen

Yep, no chance of it happening. But he is very much worth signing, the board just doesn't bother. Which makes any attack on our recruitment policy perfectly valid.

Yep, no chance of it happening. But he is very much worth signing, the board just doesn't bother. Which makes any attack on our recruitment policy perfectly valid.
No it doesn't, not at the price being asked for a flashy player in the ESL.

No it doesn't, not at the price being asked for a flashy player in the ESL.

Here we go again, always complaining about something.

◊ Can't sign anybody unless they are good.
◊ Can't pay big money for them though.

Okay, so far we have ascertained we have to sign somebody worthy. But god forbid we pay good money for them. Who exactly do you expect us to sign? Good, worthwhile players who don't cost too much money. That leaves...

Josh Dugan

◊ But we can't sign him because of his Twitter outburst.

So basically, you think we should only sign good players who don't cost too much AND aren't assholes outside of the game. I'm sorry, but you are living in dreamland. No good players who aren't dickheads want to sign with us for less money than they are worth. We don't have that kind of attraction any more. If you are going to defend the club for our recruitment when enforcing all of your ideals it's going to be dead fucking easy because the players who fit your ideals simply do not exist.

To get back onto topic and less about your specific ideals, we are basically refusing to sign anyone who costs too much money or who is an asshole. We also want to release people who I'm not even sure are complete assholes, but are definitely talented (Gagai). Sure sounds like a plan to me.

TL;DR - Beggars can't be choosers, but we sure are doing our best to be both.

Last edited:
to be fair dugan probably needed that extra month out of the game to really realise what he'd lost. if he'd been taken straight in by the broncs im not sure anything would of changed for him.

hes certainly been killing it though so on the surface it looks like a regretful decision.

to be fair dugan probably needed that extra month out of the game to really realise what he'd lost. if he'd been taken straight in by the broncs im not sure anything would of changed for him.

hes certainly been killing it though so on the surface it looks like a regretful decision.

As an isolated incident I can understand us not signing Dugan, though it still is very painful to watch.

My main issue is that we seem to be unwilling to make any other efforts to sign a player like Tomkins or Quade Cooper or Folau or whoever. Now I'm not saying all those players would be right for us (I don't want Folau), but if you aren't willing to do much to sign a star player, then you have to be a lot more careful with the ones we do actually have in our grasp. In the last season or so we've let Dugan pass us by and released Gagai and have made up for it by unearthing the amazing talents of Lachlan Maranta and signing Scott Prince and David Stagg. Frankly, I don't know how you can call that good recruitment. Other than re-signing Gillett (a real positive) and re-signing Reed (a shrewd move but hardly a game winning one) we've done absolutely nothing except go backwards.

Nice rant Ari, but neither of your examples is valid.
- Being flashy in the ESL does not make him a great player, certainly not worth 1 mill a season.
- The club did offer a contract to Dugan, who then decided to go and do exactly the same stupid thing that got him sacked at Canberra, just because he hasn't fucked up yet at the dragqueens, doesn't mean he won't.

Last edited:
You're still objecting to every player we haven't signed and are coming up with reasons not to. Whilst that might be a fun little exercise, it doesn't help us improve our roster. Seriously, I'm struggling to come up with a scenario where you would be willing to sign a player.

MAYBE the Bulldogs will let Barba go, and MAYBE you will open up the chequebook to sign him. But if that doesn't happen, who are we going to sign?

Robbie Farah just re-signed.
Jonathan Thurston just re-signed.
Josh Papali just re-signed.
Todd Carney just re-signed.
Feleti Mateo just re-signed.
Matt Scott just re-signed.
Jarryd Hayne just re-signed.
Albert Kelly just re-signed.
Daly Cherry-Evans recently re-signed.

All the star players or up and coming stars are being kept in greater numbers due to the salary cap increase. We do not have very many stars on our books to actually re-sign. And your solution is what? Object to every name that's mentioned.

Please, I'd love to hear a scenario where we actually improve our roster that's okay by you.

I'm guessing we can't pay good money to Quade Cooper because he's not proven in league. And whilst I'm sure you 'd like Shaun Johnson, I'm sure you'd be against a bidding war for him. So again, I ask, given our roster's current mediocrity, and the fact that most stars are being kept now, how exactly do you expect us to improve our roster if we don't open the chequebook and also don't accept the Dugans of the world. Please, tell me how, but first tell Andrew Gee, because the guy could really use your help.

TL;DR - Standing still won't help you move forward, but it might help prevent you from going backwards. But if you are already at the back then really, what's it matter?

Last edited:
No need to get emotional and personal mate.

The players in that list all, except Kelly (who couldn't even grab a spot in the 17 at Cronulla), re-signed with their own club for values well below what other clubs offered.
The Broncos did talk to some of them, and I can't blame them for players wanting to stay at their club, but you apparently do...

I've already said that if a player like Barba does become available and ends up moving clubs, I'd lead the witch-hunt to Red Hill if we don't have a serious dig at him, but I'm not about to start bagging everything that moves and has anything to do with the Broncos, because of unrealistic expectations.

Sure, throw some coin at Cooper, trade Wallace to Penrith for a good FB, get one or two of the promisinghalves out there, get a big boppa, etc... Those are all ways to improve our roster, without the risks involved with a Tomkins or a Dugan

Last edited:
I think you've misunderstood me. I am not criticizing the club for not signing Farah or Thurston. I'm saying the inclination of these players to re-sign means that when the Tomkins or Coopers are available we have to go after them that much more, because the really big stars simply don't move clubs with the regularity they used to and we simply aren't going to sign a Farah or a Thurston. Therefore if we don't sign a Cooper or a Tomkins and help them become a Thurston of a Farah, i really don't see how we move forward. Yes it's a risk, but we can't just keep not taking risks, as that's actually the biggest risk of all.

Last edited:
Nice rant Ari, but neither of your examples is valid.
- Being flashy in the ESL does not make him a great player, certainly not worth 1 mill a season.
- The club did offer a contract to Dugan, who then decided to go and do exactly the same stupid thing that got him sacked at Canberra, Just because he hasn't ****ed up at the dragqueens, doesn't mean he won't.

Did Dugan get sacked at Canberra for posting on Twitter?

Not to sign him is the one of the most idiotic decision the Broncos have made.

When the finger points at the moon, the idiot looks at the finger

Last edited:
Lads, lads don't fight. There's no point arguing because we won't be making any signings, cos we have a premiership winning squad already.we just have to make sure we can stave off this interest in Scott Anderson. Fortunately gee gee has foreseen this and has over a million in the cap spare to ensure we keep him

Last edited:
Lads, lads don't fight. There's no point arguing because we won't be making any signings, cos we have a premiership winning squad already

Actually, we wouldn't be that far off if we played like we wanted it

I think you've misunderstood me. I am not criticizing the club for not signing Farah or Thurston. I'm saying the inclination of these players to re-sign means that when the Tomkins or Coopers are available we have to go after them that much more, because the really big stars simply don't move clubs with the regularity they used to and we simply aren't going to sign a Farah or a Thurston. Therefore if we don't sign a Cooper or a Tomkins and help them become a Thurston of a Farah, i really don't see how we move forward. Yes it's a risk, but we can't just keep not taking risks, as that's actually the biggest risk of all.
Fair enough mate.

I still don't think Tomkins is worth a 1 mill+ a season gamble, and it's only a question of when, not if, Dugan ***** up again, and drags the team down with him. Look at how the Raiders (and Ferguson) have improved since he left!

And yes rnabokov, Twitter (and other social media) were certainly a big part of Dugan being sacked. It would've been idiotic and a big dump on the Broncos culture to take Dugan when he couldn't control himself during contract negotiations.

LOL it is absolutely retarded if the Broncos have the available funds to purchase a player of Sam Tomkins' quality, albeit from the ESL (which I don't have a problem with considering how well Graham and the Burgess brothers have all gone) then they should definitely do it.

Even if it fails, the money would have been sitting there anyway? Might as well take a risk.

Usually without a risk there is no reward. The Dragons took a risk with Dugan and it has definitely rewarded them.

LOL it is absolutely retarded if the Broncos have the available funds to purchase a player of Sam Tomkins' quality, albeit from the ESL (which I don't have a problem with considering how well Graham and the Burgess brothers have all gone) then they should definitely do it.

Even if it fails, the money would have been sitting there anyway? Might as well take a risk.

Usually without a risk there is no reward. The Dragons took a risk with Dugan and it has definitely rewarded them.
You may have spoken too soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Aldo
  • Strop
  • ChewThePhatt
  • broncs30
  • Fozz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • broncotville
  • Midean
  • Broncosgirl
  • Skathen
  • Hurrijo
  • HarryAllan7
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.