Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
For sure. I' did it myself. As i said it's not the job I'm having a go at it's the club. I think they'd be able to find someone who was already scouting talent for a number of years and proved their worth.
It's not like the Broncos walked into a bar and offered the bloke the job of head of recruitment.

He started with the club in 2000, and was a player and coach in the lower leagues before that. He's worked his way up through various positions at the Broncos, and was head of recruitment at Parra (if you're looking for reasons to rule him out, this is it) prior to his current stint here.

If he did happen to be a bartender it was 25 years ago.

It's not like the Broncos walked into a bar and offered the bloke the job of head of recruitment.

He started with the club in 2000, and was a player and coach in the lower leagues before that. He's worked his way up through various positions at the Broncos, and was head of recruitment at Parra (if you're looking for reasons to rule him out, this is it) prior to his current stint here.

If he did happen to be a bartender it was 25 years ago.
Thanks for that. As I said it was my brother-in-law who gave me the info he didn't say it was 20 odd years ago.

Thanks for that. As I said it was my brother-in-law who gave me the info he didn't say it was 20 odd years ago. Yeah, I think I fucked up on this one, I think I'll put a bit more effort into research next time before I go slagging off people.

By no means do I reckon he is ready yet but what about Freddy lussick... quite honestly we have got nobody of real quality in that position after Turpin and even than he is not consistent enough to win us or go close to winning a comp so why not snag lussick whilst he is behind friend and Verills and progress him in q-cup for a year or 2 till he is ready

By no means do I reckon he is ready yet but what about Freddy lussick... quite honestly we have got nobody of real quality in that position after Turpin and even than he is not consistent enough to win us or go close to winning a comp so why not snag lussick whilst he is behind friend and Verills and progress him in q-cup for a year or 2 till he is ready
I'd say roosters will be keen to hang onto him with Friends career hangin by a thread at the moment.

Was just a terrible decision to sign him on that money to start with. The sooner we sack Peter Nolan the better

that decision was perfectly fine until they changed the rules ... 700k for a guy who was averaging 150m (under Seibold no less) and making 20-odd tackles a game is value. there is a reason several clubs were offering $1 million a season to leave us (although that would have been overs)

Last edited:
that decision was perfectly fine until they changed the rules ... 700k for a guy who was averaging 150m (under Seibold no less) and making 20-odd tackles a game is value. there is a reason several clubs were offering $1 million a season to leave us (although that would have been overs)

Yeah this, how quickly people forget. When Lodge re-signed, he was one of the form props in the comp, in the conversation about captain (and rightly so IMO) and on the cusp of a SOO debut - despite how shit we were playing as a team at the time.

The 6-again rule has completely altered the very fabric of the game and while I still think there's a place for the Fleglers and Lodges, it's in no way as certain as it was just over 12 months ago.

Yeah this, how quickly people forget. When Lodge re-signed, he was one of the form props in the comp, in the conversation about captain (and rightly so IMO) and on the cusp of a SOO debut - despite how shit we were playing as a team at the time.

The 6-again rule has completely altered the very fabric of the game and while I still think there's a place for the Fleglers and Lodges, it's in no way as certain as it was just over 12 months ago.

Rugby league is an ever changing landscape, and even more volatile is individual form and injuries. Even if you could justify the price, there’s no justifying the duration, especially the 2 player option seasons.

Rugby league is an ever changing landscape, and even more volatile is individual form and injuries. Even if you could justify the price, there’s no justifying the duration, especially the 2 player option seasons.

disagree here also ... a 4 year contract to a player in their early 20's, who is also one of the best in their positions, is perfectly reasonable.

if a Tedesco (when he was in his early-mid 20's), Grant, Taumololo, Haas etc wanted to play for you but demanded a 4 year contract (or a 2 year contract with 2 years of PO's) no one would even hesitate. Hell, the fans would likely riot if the club didn't make the deal.

Rugby league has been around for a hell of a long time, and sure while there's rule changes each year there can be no denying that the last 18 months has seen a very different game emerge.

DCE got 10 years. JT2 also got 10 years IIRC. There's medical retirement for any serious injuries which crop up a-la Yow Yeh. I'll echo what @Foordy said here, props generally don't hit their peak until their late 20's and Lodge was/is still fairly early in his career.

I'm not saying it was exceptionally smart, but then again I'm just a punter, I'm not paid what I assume would be good money to be involved in any way with roster management at one of the wealthiest rugby league clubs in the world. Player options are also not isolated to Lodge and I hope we've seen the back of them tbh. All I'm saying is that at that time, Lodge's contract was not seen by many (on here or otherwise) as unreasonable.

disagree here also ... a 4 year contract to a player in their early 20's, who is also one of the best in their positions, is perfectly reasonable.

if a Tedesco (when he was in his early-mid 20's), Grant, Taumololo, Haas etc wanted to play for you but demanded a 4 year contract (or a 2 year contract with 2 years of PO's) no one would even hesitate. Hell, the fans would likely riot if the club didn't make the deal.

You’re rewriting history if you think Lodge was ever comparable to the players you named.

Lodge needs to bring his triple A game over the coming weeks and drive this both physically and mentally forward if he wants to be seen as a successful front-rower. TPJ has been holding the fort for both him and Haas - they both owe him and us a huge payback.
To be fair tpj owes the team a fair bit himself with all the suspensions he’s had.

Yeah, except lodge is nowhere near any of those players

You’re rewriting history if you think Lodge was ever comparable to the players you named.

You're correct, he is a tier under those players i mentioned ... but you'd be foolish not to make the deal we did for any prop, who is averaging 150m+ and 20+ tackles per game in their early 20's.

it's not like were talking about a giving a 4 year big money deal to Darius Boyd who was close to 30 and had already started his decline ... or a 4 year big money deal to Andrew McCullough who was never elite to begin with ... or a 4 year deal to Matt Gillett who was coming back from a serious neck injury.

If it wasn't for unforeseeable PVL massacre of rugby league in this country, very few people would even be questioning the Lodge contract

Your correct, he is a tier under those players i mentioned ... but you'd be foolish not to make the deal we did for any prop, who is averaging 150m+ and 20+ tackles per game in their early 20's.

it's not like were talking about a giving a 4 year big money deal to Darius Boyd who was close to 3o and had already started his decline ... or a 4 year big money deal to Andrew McCullough who was never elite to begin with ... or a 4 year deal to Matt Gillett who was coming back from a serious neck injury.

If it wasn't for unforeseeable PVL massacre of rugby league in this country, very few people would even be questioning the Lodge contract
2019 we could march it up the field but our halves couldnt organize a root in a brothel

Says he's signed till 23 , wouldn't that mean a transfer fee.
Supposedly out of the kindness of their hearts Warrington have said they don't want one....

The titans just keep on bumping into these nice people since they have millionaire owners. Bryce Cartwright and Shannon Boyd also said they didn't want a dime off of them, such nice blokes...

You're correct, he is a tier under those players i mentioned ... but you'd be foolish not to make the deal we did for any prop, who is averaging 150m+ and 20+ tackles per game in their early 20's.

it's not like were talking about a giving a 4 year big money deal to Darius Boyd who was close to 30 and had already started his decline ... or a 4 year big money deal to Andrew McCullough who was never elite to begin with ... or a 4 year deal to Matt Gillett who was coming back from a serious neck injury.

When Kennedy started a few games for us last year he was averaging good metres and making his tackles( his 2020 stats are very reasonable) and we aren't paying anywhere near 600-700 for him. Value props are available and I think we got one with Kennedy. Considering, like you said he's coming into his prime years. I think he might be on 250/300k p/a?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Hurrijo
  • broncs30
  • achievedrap
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Lozza
  • cento
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Painin the Haas
  • Sproj
  • PETERN
  • KateBroncos1812
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.