Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I truly believe a lot of our players will play to a different standard next year.

Kevvie should be close to settled on positions come round one.

Consistency will betterment the team and confident is a hell of a thing.

If we can jag some early wins, we may start a bit of a roll on.

The cramping on each edge does seem to be compounded by Niu in that he rarely runs straight. He oftens jinks and tends to compress the space for the centre and winger. Niu is elusive and quick but he does tend to also kill a few plays between.

Couple of Broncos in here. Not sure if I've missed any. The other three PBC kids are Titans.

THE 2021 AUSTRALIAN SCHOOLBOYS SIDE

1. Ragarive Wavik (Kirwan State High School)
  2. Dudley Dotoi (Kirwan State High School)
  3. Brandon Morkos (Figtree High School)
  4. Deine Mariner (Palm Beach Currumbin High School)
  5. Michael Asomua (Erindale College ACT)
  6. Thomas Duffy (Ignatius Park College, Townsville)
  7. Tom Weaver (Palm Beach Currumbin High School)
  8. Jaxson Rahme (Holy Cross College Ryde)
  9. Riley Smith (St Dominic’s College, Kingswood)
  10. Jack Cullen (Palm Beach Currumbin High School)
  11. Ryan Foran (Palm Beach Currumbin High School)
  12. Jock Brazel (Parramatta Marist High School, Westmead)
  13. Luke Jacks (Ignatius Park College, Townsville)
  14. Blake Mozer (Keebra Park High School)
  15. John Sagaga (Patrician Brothers College, Blacktown)
  16. Ryan Couchman (Bulli High School)
  17. Lachlan Blackburn (St Dominic’s College, Kingswood)

Couple of Broncos in here. Not sure if I've missed any. The other three PBC kids are Titans.

THE 2021 AUSTRALIAN SCHOOLBOYS SIDE

1. Ragarive Wavik (Kirwan State High School)
  2. Dudley Dotoi (Kirwan State High School)
  3. Brandon Morkos (Figtree High School)
  4. Deine Mariner (Palm Beach Currumbin High School)
  5. Michael Asomua (Erindale College ACT)
  6. Thomas Duffy (Ignatius Park College, Townsville)
  7. Tom Weaver (Palm Beach Currumbin High School)
  8. Jaxson Rahme (Holy Cross College Ryde)
  9. Riley Smith (St Dominic’s College, Kingswood)
  10. Jack Cullen (Palm Beach Currumbin High School)
  11. Ryan Foran (Palm Beach Currumbin High School)
  12. Jock Brazel (Parramatta Marist High School, Westmead)
  13. Luke Jacks (Ignatius Park College, Townsville)
  14. Blake Mozer (Keebra Park High School)
  15. John Sagaga (Patrician Brothers College, Blacktown)
  16. Ryan Couchman (Bulli High School)
  17. Lachlan Blackburn (St Dominic’s College, Kingswood)
When, where and who will they be playing?

Im a Herbie apologist but I think he’s better suited to the wing.

I think our best backline next year is:
1. Niu
2. Oates
3. Cobbo
4. Staggs
5. Farnworth
I can live with all of that except for 1. If Nui is fullback next year I think we are still pretenders. Maybe he has a great preseason and comes back a much better ball player. But I think he lacks the elite speed that might otherwise make up for u his lack of overall fullback play.

When, where and who will they be playing?
It's a "merit" team. Like an award. They didn't pick one last year, but this was the year before:

2019 Australian Schoolboys squad
  1. Reece Walsh (Keebra Park State High School, Southport)
  2. Max Feagai (Illawarra Sports High School, Berkeley)
  3. Ty Weckert (Farrer MAHS, Tamworth)
  4. Brady Boss (Kirwan State High School, Townsville)
  5. Mat Feagai (Illawarra Sports High School, Berkeley)
  6. Lachlan Jones Williams (Gunnedah high school)
  7. Sam Walker (Ipswich Grammar School)
  8. Jayden Clarkson (Wavell State High School)
  9. Mitchell Black (St. Mary's Catholic College, Gateshead)
  10. Lachlan Gale (Marcellin College Randwick)
  11. Brendan Piakura (Palm Beach Currumbin State High School)
  12. Jack Howarth (Brisbane Boys' College)
  13. Jackson Topine (East Hills Boys High School)
  14. Tyler Field (Patrician Brothers' College, Blacktown)
  15. Cooper Talau (Westfields Sports High School)
  16. Thomas Giles (Marcellin College Randwick)
  17. Trey Moooney (Westfields Sports High School)

Is anyone getting worried about the whole Payne Haas issue between him and his manager? Seems to me that Payne loves Brisbane and will not do a Money Bill and skip town, but if he has Nasser in his ear who knows. He is the 1 player we cannot afford to let go.

I can live with all of that except for 1. If Nui is fullback next year I think we are still pretenders. Maybe he has a great preseason and comes back a much better ball player. But I think he lacks the elite speed that might otherwise make up for u his lack of overall fullback play.
I don’t think Niu is a good fullback, I just think he is currently the best option at fullback and not even necessarily because I think he’s even the best fullback at the club, just that I think it provides the best balance

Is anyone getting worried about the whole Payne Haas issue between him and his manager? Seems to me that Payne loves Brisbane and will not do a Money Bill and skip town, but if he has Nasser in his ear who knows. He is the 1 player we cannot afford to let go.
He is one of those cases where the club actually gets the better end of the deal, so of course the player and manager are annoyed. They always want to be the ones who get the better end of the deal. Haas is probably the only player in our club who isn’t overpaid.

Not sure why people get hung up on trying to bring Taylor back.
IMO he is a backwards option. He walked out on the club, his attitude is the exact opposite of what DD & Ikin are trying to instill into the joint and I don't think he is a better option at all, then those already signed at the club. I think SL is calling.
I'd be consulting Reynolds as to who he thinks will best partner him.
Personally I'd go 6.Gamble 7.Reynolds and if that doesn't work we have Kelly there to trial.

Walked out on the club? A bit ridiculous to make him out to be the bad guy there when he was behind Hunt and Milford who at the time looked like they were going to be our halves pairing for the next 10 years. Bennett released him because his pathway to the NRL was blocked.

Reactions: Gaz
There is some unfair criticism of Farnworth being flung around in here. It seems people are hung up on his defense not being good enough? Clearly those blokes were listening to the game on the radio because Ramien struggled to get past him all night the other night.

There is some unfair criticism of Farnworth being flung around in here. It seems people are hung up on his defense not being good enough? Clearly those blokes were listening to the game on the radio because Ramien struggled to get past him all night the other night.
Mate, it’s not just about tackles made and tackles missed. It’s positioning. The fucking tigers of all clubs scored 4 or 5 tries on that edge. Sharks got a couple there too and a lot of meters on that edge. He doesn’t show urgency defending the line either. One of the sharks tries he just stood there and watched the sharks player wiggle to get the ball down.

The more we talk about it going wrong the more chance it will. Ignore the noise, celebrate when its signed.

The movement of the defensive backs rushing up and in is clearly a coaching decision, as we jam in to a) prevent the ball from moving past 2nd wide from the ruck, or b) to cover any defensive deficiencies at the 1/2 wide position (where one of our halves and second rowers defend).

When this fails and the ball gets spread, then our outside are desperately backpedalling going both sideways AND backwards - the hardest possible situation to defend from.

Maybe our aim is to cut off the play by aggressively rushing the first receiver - which is a viable defensive strategy (albeit a risky one), but if that's our approach then we're failing to execute it properly at all. Seems its more likely that we are trying to stabilise our one-off-the-ruck defence (where an edge back rower and half defend) by shifting players in and being willing to sacrifice the space out wide.

We've traditionally had very poor ruck defence and have lacked a strong defensive second rower since Gillett retired and have had Milf defending at pivot for a long time too, so it's definitely our most vulnerable defensive passage, which is I'm sure why Kev is attempting to paper over it, but its leaving us exposed on the flanks.

Next year hopefully we have the defensive structures and strong second rowers to be able to leave outside backs wide, defending in a strong up-and-in defensive style similar to Melbourne and Penrith - maintaining good width, exploding off the line and meeting the ball runner on the front foot and straight on.

Blaming Farnworth and Oates for something which is pretty clearly a coaching decision isn't fair. Ramien and Katoa would be hard enough to tackle normally, let alone when you have to do it while running sideways and backwards.

Why would you ever coach that though? It’s retarded in todays game. Broncos used to always be one of the best sliding defensive teams. Rushing up and in is what stupid kids do and it shows. As Michael Maguire said “Go to Oates edge because he’s shitting himself out there”

Why would you ever coach that though? It’s retarded in todays game. Broncos used to always be one of the best sliding defensive teams. Rushing up and in is what stupid kids do and it shows. As Michael Maguire said “Go to Oates edge because he’s shitting himself out there”

I agree it's not ideal, but I guess with the 6-again rule, the coaching staff thought that providing extra cover closer to the ruck was more important than preventing the overlap out wide.

If outside backs stay square and wide, we get second rowers and centres steamrolling Milford / exploiting the gap between Glenn and Milford all day long.

If outside backs come in, we concede less tries on the edge of the ruck, but are vulnerable out wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • Foordy
  • theshed
  • Stix
  • Adammacca
  • Bucking Beads
  • Waynesaurus
  • Browny
  • BroncosAlways
  • Morepudding
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Brocko
  • Sproj
  • something
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Bongo
  • Dash
  • Allo
  • Johnny92
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.