Broncos sack two staff members

Some of the players seemed knackered just running onto the field.

Probably because they spend a good 15 minutes warming up on the field. I get that it's important in getting the muscles warm and stretched to avoid injury and whatnot and for wingers to practice their bombs and halves the kicks but running training drills 20 minutes before kickoff would wear anyone out. It doesn't seem to affect the Origin guys that they don't do it then

The Origin teams warm up in the sheds - Channel 9 airs it every series.

cammac said:
hey whats going on their fitness isnt where it should be, and he didn't.

Any proof of this?

"If we'd won a few more games, I may not have been in this situation. But it's an important KPI (Key Performance Indicator), winning games, and it didn't happen this year.

Says it all really the mentality of the coaching ranks within the club, there's more to a successful season then just making the finals, if this is the culture that exists at the club, we need to get rid of it fast.

Last edited:
Well the team may well be as fit now as they were 2011, the problem is that its no longer 2011, its 2013 and its pretty obvious we are not up to the fitness level required to compete in the NRL.

I get that absolutely and i don't disagree with him being shown the door, but surely Griffin could have stepped in at some point during the year and said hey whats going on their fitness isnt where it should be, and he didn't. He should ultimately be the one who falls on his sword for a failed campaign.
If you have any played any sport is hard to get fitter during a season. Match hardened yes. The fitness needs to be sorted before he season starts or at the least early on in the season. As the season wears on and players are carrying injuries it is almost impossible to improve fitness then

Like how he says the uneducated blame it on recruitment and fitness. What a ****ing muppet they have been two of our biggest issues. So I'm happy to be labelled as uneducated if it means not having my head up my arse. useless ****.

What he actually said in that article was: ""When you are looking at why sides don't go well ... the easiest categories for the uneducated are recruitment, head coach and conditioning. It happens every year."

For mine, the "head coach" is the key, and yes, it is easy to blame the head coach just as you would hold any manager responsible for the overall performance of his organization, and in NRL, that includes: mental fitness, toughness, attitude, commitment and playing for each other.

Seems we might need a bit of coaching in those areas as well. Body and Mind ...

As for fitness, I love what Smokin' Joe Frazier said: "kill the body and the head will die".

Last edited:
The Origin teams warm up in the sheds - Channel 9 airs it every series.

Any proof of this?

The only proof i need is that their fitness didn't improve, and for mine looked like it slowly got worse. Now if your a manager of a company and things arnt going according to plan you step in to try and resolve them, in 26 weeks from the outside looking in, Griffin seemed to do very little at resolving any of our issues, not just for the 2013 season but also ones that had arisen in 2012.

The fundamental reason we did poorly this year, and last, is that the team overall is poorly organized, poorly structured, lacks leadership and direction especially on the field.

Go figure

The only proof i need is that their fitness didn't improve, and for mine looked like it slowly got worse. Now if your a manager of a company and things arnt going according to plan you step in to try and resolve them, in 26 weeks from the outside looking in, Griffin seemed to do very little at resolving any of our issues, not just for the 2013 season but also ones that had arisen in 2012.

That isn't sufficient evidence - for all we know a conversation may have taken place but there wasn't enough time to implement those changes. Either way, the change has been made and it will be interesting to see what effect it will have on the side.

They looked out of shape in game 1 of the season, like the pre-season was just a cake eating session. Of course the first half of that game actually looked good, so we ignored it then.
It improved a bit as the season went on, mostly due to just actually playing matches, but I think that the lack of preparation during the off-season just meant that the team never had it in them to handle the entire season.

Yep, that's right Alec, I remember ppl saying how it could be deliberate to avoid a late season fade out etc. There is no doubt we were way off the pace with fitness, you only have to look at the finals sides to see a different body shape to ours.

I played rugby for 10 years albeit not at the highest level and i understand that, but I think for an organisation as well oiled as the broncos should be that it's not an excuse. Edit: this post is in regards to splinters comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
That isn't sufficient evidence - for all we know a conversation may have taken place but there wasn't enough time to implement those changes. Either way, the change has been made and it will be interesting to see what effect it will have on the side.

I still believe Griffin should also be taking the fall regardless of sufficient evidence or not.

Replacing a fitness co-ordinator is much easier than replacing a head coach.

Obviously last chance for Hook and he has a lot of work to do, but at least changes are being made.

Last edited:
Replacing a fitness co-ordinator is much easier than replacing a head coach.

Obviously last chance for Hook and he has a lot of work to do, but at least changes are made made.

I think you make a very good point. I totally agree at least they are.

Hinchey came to the Broncos as EPD manager after working for the Dolphins as CEO and assistant coach, his working focus was the junior academy - under 14 and senior academy- post high school. I have never heard of his role including media or seen him complete or organise any media commitments. That is Trad's job.

Gillfoyle wasn't the soft trainer he is being painted as in this thread- players complain he was too tough and that group was involving senior players. Broncos have now sacked their last two strength and conditioning trainers.

This is old boys driven make no mistake about that, the campaign has been going for weeks staged out in the Courier through one journo.

Who was the fitness/conditioning person when Henjak was coaching (from memory) when people like Gus raved about how super fit and super strong the Broncos were?

Dean Benton?

In any case, since that season (2010 ?), many of the players fitness, strength and speed has declined in inverse proportion to their bulk.

As someone else posted, that would IMO account for our dreadful defence this year but it's not the whole story. You have to add recruitment and team structure and organization as well (or rather, the lack of).

Whose responsibility is that?

Hickmans went with Benny, Benton took over and walked out in 2010, Gillfoyle took over from him (although he was at the club before that) and now punted.

Active Now

• Santa
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.