Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Paul Gallen calls for Broncos
to scrap idea of making former troubled prop
Matt Lodge skipper

AAP
September 24, 2019 6:56am

should not be allowed to captain any side

Former troubled footballer Matt Lodge should not be allowed to captain any side in the NRL after his infamous 2015 New York attack, Cronulla great Paul Gallen says. Lodge is reportedly in the mix to take over the Brisbane reins in 2020 after coach Anthony Seibold put a broom through his leadership group following their humiliating NRL finals exit. The prop has turned his life around since avoiding a jail sentence after his October 2015 rampage in a Manhattan apartment and snapping up a Broncos lifeline last year.

Matt Lodge is emerged as a captaincy possibility for the Broncos.

Matt Lodge is emerged as a captaincy possibility for the Broncos.

unwanted pressure on the player and club

But Gallen believed handing the Broncos captaincy to Lodge would only dredge up his past and put unwanted pressure on the player and club. “You couldn’t see him captain any side to be fair. It can’t happen,” Gallen told 100% Footy. “I can’t see it being good for him. It just brings up everything he did.”

not healthy

Queensland and Melbourne great Billy Slater agreed. “Firstly I don’t see Matt Lodge as a captain of a club at this stage of his career,” he said. “And I don’t think it will be healthy for him to be named captain because it unearths all the things that he has done.

Matt Lodge has been identified as a leader by Anthony Seibold.

Matt Lodge has been identified as a leader by Anthony Seibold.

shows where the Broncos are at

“It brings up all that bad publicity about him. “But it just shows you where the Broncos are at. You couldn’t see Matt Lodge captaining the Roosters or the Storm could you?” Lodge is reportedly in the running to take over the Broncos captaincy from under fire skipper Darius Boyd next year in the wake of their 58-0 elimination final loss to Parramatta. Seibold is believed to be tempted to recommend to the Broncos board that Lodge be named captain after identifying the 24-year-old as a leader. But Gallen said Lodge could still lead without being officially named skipper. “You don’t have to have the ‘c’ next to your name to be a leader,” he said.

Paul Gallen says Lodge doesn’t need the extra buden of captaincy.

Paul Gallen says Lodge doesn’t need the extra buden of captaincy.

I am sure he tries hard

“I am sure Lodge is a leader at training, I am sure he tries hard and shows the young blokes what to do. “But to have the ‘c’ next to your name, there is a lot more responsibility that comes with that than just being a leader at training.” Lodge was ordered to pay more than $1.6 million in damages in the 2015 case, after he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanour reckless assault charge. He avoided a 12-month jail term in the US with a plea deal to compensate the victims. Lodge will need Broncos board approval to step up to the captaincy but former NSW coach Phil Gould couldn’t see it happening. “No, I don’t think he needs that and I don’t think the Broncos need it,” he said.

I agree with Gallen about being a leader without the C next to your name. That's where I'm at with Lodge.

Disagree with all the 'unearthing' what he's done talk. It's not secret, it's been talked about to death. What they are saying though is prepare to hear about it over and over as long as he's captain.

Not my ideal choice for captain, but I wouldn't boycott the Broncos if he was.

He does have a point though - you don't need the C to be a leader.

If the players think Lodge is their leader, then follow him.... regardless of a letter next to your name or not.

He does have a point though - you don't need the C to be a leader.

If the players think Lodge is their leader, then follow him.... regardless of a letter next to your name or not.
In two years time with some more runs on the board this probably won't be the issue it is today. A leadership group that includes Lodge with a view to him transitioning to either a Full time Captain or the Senior leader of a leadership group in 2-3 years time would be the best outcome for everyone. Alex Glenn can handle the publicity and media stuff and he and possibly Gillett etc can help mentor Lodge for he long run.

Great pick for captain, he has mongrel in him, he has fucked up, so knows what is at risk, and the cost of fucking up.
Broncos gave him a lifeline where no one else would, so he would bleed for the club and loyalty would be a motivating factor to repay the chance the broncs took with him.
100% the captain we need in my opinion, and Gallen, the drug cheating, cheap shotting, salary cap dodging dog has no place in or out of the game to be making calls on other people due to past indiscretions.
No one is without sin, we have all fucked up to some extent in our past, and everyone deserves a second chance, especially when he has already payed for his crimes.

Bit rich coming from a drug cheat... Honestly can't stand Gallen the slimey ****.

Although, I do agree. It's not a good idea for him to be captain.

Slater, Gould and Gallen have just done us an almighty favour. If Lodgey hears this he'll be even more determined to prove the detractors wrong, but the real bonus is it clears up any doubt in Lodgey's mind that the southerners don't have any time for him thus cementing the idea in his mind that it is only the Broncos that have his best interests at heart.

Keep driving him towards us and ensuring his loyalty to the only club that has given him a break. I'm sure it will fortify his resilience even more and make him an even stronger minded human being. Provided Lodgey has been counselled properly and had the consequences explained to him and he still is willing I say make him our skipper.

How much more does he need to do FFS?

By making him skipper it adds another achievement that shows how far he has come in turning his life around.

Slater, Gould and Gallen have just done us an almighty favour. If Lodgey hears this he'll be even more determined to prove the detractors wrong, but the real bonus is it clears up any doubt in Lodgey's mind that the southerners don't have any time for him thus cementing the idea in his mind that it is only the Broncos that have his best interests at heart.

Keep driving him towards us and ensuring his loyalty to the only club that has given him a break. I'm sure it will fortify his resilience even more and make him an even stronger minded human being. Provided Lodgey has been counselled properly and had the consequences explained to him and he still is willing I say make him our skipper.

How much more does he need to do FFS?

By making him skipper it adds another achievement that shows how far he has come in turning his life around.
The Broncos have a board and share holders. There is literally 0 chance they agree to let him be captain.
[automerge]1569282368[/automerge]
The Broncos have a board and share holders. There is literally 0 chance they agree to let him be captain.
Although, primary share holder is newscorp so they could just tank Broncos stock price and make bank by writing 1000s of articles about it...

Last edited:
Had this article come out in years gone by you can bet your ass the QLD media would be writing up a rebuttal and would be hammering the hypocrisy of Gallen.... nowadays it wouldn't surprise me if Peter Badel wrote this himself or is already preparing a follow up to applaud the commentary from NSWRL scum.

I get that negativity sells papers, but rivalry with NSW and not copping pot shots from southern media also sells.

Kind of an indictment that the leading QLD publication is happy to roll over for the NSWRL in the current climate... could you imagine that in 90's or even up to the mid 2000's

In two years time with some more runs on the board this probably won't be the issue it is today. A leadership group that includes Lodge with a view to him transitioning to either a Full time Captain or the Senior leader of a leadership group in 2-3 years time would be the best outcome for everyone. Alex Glenn can handle the publicity and media stuff and he and possibly Gillett etc can help mentor Lodge for he long run.

In 2 years time i think we will have better options.
[automerge]1569284766[/automerge]
Great pick for captain, he has mongrel in him, he has fucked up, so knows what is at risk, and the cost of fucking up.
Broncos gave him a lifeline where no one else would, so he would bleed for the club and loyalty would be a motivating factor to repay the chance the broncs took with him.
100% the captain we need in my opinion, and Gallen, the drug cheating, cheap shotting, salary cap dodging dog has no place in or out of the game to be making calls on other people due to past indiscretions.
No one is without sin, we have all fucked up to some extent in our past, and everyone deserves a second chance, especially when he has already payed for his crimes.

Wasn't he looking at heading back home until we brought his brother in law up here and resigned his bestie TPJ? Not sure if he is as loyal to the club as what you are making out.

Last edited:
The club is in a complete shit state but I don't think it'll ever sink low enough to hand Lodge the captaincy. But there isn't exactly a plethora of candidates banging the door down:

Alex Glenn- Has played his last game as a Bronco and is barely first grade standard.

Matt Gillette- Would do a good job but his body his broken, be lucky to see out the season.

Tony Milford- Only a shadow of his former self. He could do with a change of scenery.

Andy Mack- Past his use by date and on the outer at the club.

Jimmy Seggy- Would almost be as stupid as appointing Lodgy.

Rhys Kennedy- Why not? He might thrive in the role.

What a fucking disaster.

The club is in a complete shit state but I don't think it'll ever sink low enough to hand Lodge the captaincy. But there isn't exactly a plethora of candidates banging the door down:

Alex Glenn- Has played his last game as a Bronco and is barely first grade standard.

Matt Gillette- Would do a good job but his body his broken, be lucky to see out the season.

Tony Milford- Only a shadow of his former self. He could do with a change of scenery.

Andy Mack- Past his use by date and on the outer at the club.

Jimmy Seggy- Would almost be as stupid as appointing Lodgy.

Rhys Kennedy- Why not? He might thrive in the role.

What a fucking disaster.

Man I know Carrigan is green but I would give it to him. From what I have heard about him, and what he has displayed on the field I think he is our best choice.

Nothing like a Gallen endorsement to make Lodge suddenly look much better a proposition!

it should though

If you want a grub team, hot tempered mentality and becomes something like the sharks then sure. If we ever want to be Broncos, Melbourne or Roosters again then we need to look for someone else.

Active Now

• Rambstien
  • Sproj
  • GCBRONCO
  • LittleDavey
  • Mustafur
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Morkel
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Alec
  • winslow_wong
  • NSW stables
  • johnny plath
  • Mr Fourex
  • bert_lifts
  • Thelmus
  • Astro
  • Foordy
  • Fatboy
  • Santa
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.