Cobbo: “I think he’s a nice guy but not a good coach”

How long does Kebbie have to prove he's more than just a good friend?

• It's over now

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • The trials

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • First 6 weeks

Votes: 17 19.3%
  • Week 13

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • When it's clear we're not making the finals

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • His contract review

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • As long as he needs to rebuild the club

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
ozzball

ozzball

QCup Player
Mar 17, 2013
Didn't he see what the fans did to Haas in the Titans game last year, will we see the same at the Cowboys opener in March, the kid's a great talent but, without watching his highlights reel I'm trying to remember a try that he scored which wasn't a runaway after an interception or capitalising on the end of some Reyno brilliance. Don't need this nonsense and somebody (Kevvie??) needs to stomp on it fast!!

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
No it doesn’t. It’s excuse making. One coach made the finals, one didn’t.
nothing is black and white, one coach got gifted and one bent over.
and if you're trying to make an argument that one is better , then you can add that said coach made the finals and then was in contention for the spoon the following season. Does that count as being a good coach? the other has been on an upwards trajectory, so does this mean he's a good coach?

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Best comment in the podcast asking why Luai stood over him after he got knocked out in Origin III, and if he apologized (1:00:37)

" No. I don't know why he did that. He's just a grub."

In background: "Samoan"

"New South Wales. Hey"

After being told some Samoans were on his side: "Yeah he's a grub yeah."

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Player Statement: Selwyn Cobbo

“Today’s article on a podcast I did last year has been taken out of context. It was two guys chatting and joking about silly things like the comments about Kev that had been made by Tyson.

“The fact is that Kev is a very good coach, as are all of our coaches at the Broncos. I was lucky enough to play Origin for Queensland last year and that is off the back of the coaching of Kev and his team.

“Kev has taught me a lot since coming into the NRL squad and provided me with great support as I adjusted to the professionalism of NRL.

“I was late to training a few times and instead of cutting me, he educated me and supported me.

“When I felt burnt out late in the year, Kev rested me and when he thought I was ready he gave me more responsibilities.

“I have already contacted Kev to apologise and I’d like to extend that to his family and the whole Broncos club for this unwarranted attention over some silly comments from me.”

Source: https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2023/01/08/player-statement-selwyn-cobbo/

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
nothing is black and white, one coach got gifted and one bent over.
and if you're trying to make an argument that one is better , then you can add that said coach made the finals and then was in contention for the spoon the following season. Does that count as being a good coach? the other has been on an upwards trajectory, so does this mean he's a good coach?

Im certainly not stating one is better, simply stating a fact. You can frame it however you like.

Broncapz

Broncapz

NRL Player
May 1, 2016
Well Kevie stocks just went down, and we continue to have by far and away the most drama and injury filled off season of any club.

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
Well Kevie stocks just went down, and we continue to have by far and away the most drama and injury filled off season of any club.

Meanwhile the Tigers are getting their shit together.

Strop

Strop

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 28, 2015
I’d like to hear a comment from Keb’s mrs on all of this. I’m sure she’d have a colourful take.

The bit I really don’t get though, is surely the players should require permission from the club to do podcasts? They clearly dont, which is baffling. Part of the process should be club approval for release of the material.

Morepudding

Morepudding

NRL Captain
Dec 16, 2015
I think change your vote here:

The press already has it. No byline.

Most of the piece is context, going back to Gamble's comments and Reynolds' defence of Kevvie. This quote was clipped.

Cobbo:

“I reckon he’s a good person. He’s a good person, like a good bloke but I don’t think he’s a good coach. He’s not the best coach but he’s all right. I feel like he’s just a good person but I don’t reckon he’s a coach. Even though he experienced footy, been through all the grand finals and all that, but I feel like he’s not a coach. But he’s a good person, a good bloke and does a lot for the club. But the way he coaches is a bit weird, I guess. He’s a good person though. He’s an alright coach.”​
You can tell the new quotes from Cobbo apologising aren’t him and are media spin. He can’t form those sentences on his own.

B

Broncs_Fan

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2015
Player Statement: Selwyn Cobbo

“Today’s article on a podcast I did last year has been taken out of context. It was two guys chatting and joking about silly things like the comments about Kev that had been made by Tyson.

“The fact is that Kev is a very good coach, as are all of our coaches at the Broncos. I was lucky enough to play Origin for Queensland last year and that is off the back of the coaching of Kev and his team.

“Kev has taught me a lot since coming into the NRL squad and provided me with great support as I adjusted to the professionalism of NRL.

“I was late to training a few times and instead of cutting me, he educated me and supported me.

“When I felt burnt out late in the year, Kev rested me and when he thought I was ready he gave me more responsibilities.

“I have already contacted Kev to apologise and I’d like to extend that to his family and the whole Broncos club for this unwarranted attention over some silly comments from me.”

Source: https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2023/01/08/player-statement-selwyn-cobbo/

Such a bad statement. Would have been better to just say sorry for being disrespectful and leave it at that.

This club has got so sloppy at all levels. They need to shape up fast.

Morepudding

Morepudding

NRL Captain
Dec 16, 2015
This podcast was done last October supposedly and is just resurfacing because of reddit. You’d think if he was going for that upgrade you’re talking about it could’ve been done a lot more effectively. Otherwise I tend to agree with you.
I posted it here before reddit. It’s not “resurfacing” the video had 200 plays when I watched it.

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022
All these entitled dumb prick’s stupidity coming out in public & talking about a player who has won multiple premierships for the club is a sin in itself. What have these entitled brats achieved to belittle a club legend?

I do not know if DD had taken action after year end reviews. Support staff selection must’ve been taken away from Kev & DD could’ve gone out of his way to organize support staff for Kev and asked him to get along. That could’ve made the players think shit has become serious & they should put their head down and get the **** along without any silly shit.

Gee, it’s a terrible feeling before the season starts. I should’ve been excited for the start of the season instead I am concerned about what more dumb things might happen/come from the playing group.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I’d like to hear a comment from Keb’s mrs on all of this. I’m sure she’d have a colourful take.

The bit I really don’t get though, is surely the players should require permission from the club to do podcasts? They clearly dont, which is baffling. Part of the process should be club approval for release of the material.
I don't know anything about what restraints the club is allowed to put on them, but normally it's the other way around when doing press. Your PR acts as a go-between actively trying to get you publicity and fielding incoming inquiries from the press. There's nothing to stop you from arranging it yourself.

But apart from that, they can't control what you say when you get there.

Morepudding

Morepudding

NRL Captain
Dec 16, 2015
How did you find it?
It literally randomly came up on my YouTube algorithm. Well, a shorter like 3 minute video about him wanting to be fullback did. Then I found the full thing. Strangely they made 2 short packages on this. One was about being fullback and one was about indigenous guys doing more these days.

but yeah literally just stumbled across the short video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • pennywisealfie
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.