Cobbo: “I think he’s a nice guy but not a good coach”

How long does Kebbie have to prove he's more than just a good friend?

• It's over now

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • The trials

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • First 6 weeks

Votes: 17 19.3%
  • Week 13

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • When it's clear we're not making the finals

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • His contract review

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • As long as he needs to rebuild the club

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Honestly no idea who I'd go for, there's bugger all quality out there, I'd almost rather just stick to the devil we know at this point as long as that devil can get a pass mark.
They'll probably be looking at Rohan Smith for no other reason than his ISC apprenticeship looks pretty good, he will know some of the boys through the Devils and is a first grade coach in ESL... but he'll be coming in with no real help from the back office or assistants, and the players still don't know shit about modern football except Reyno and Capewell.

Basically he'd be coming in as a new Seibold having to do it all on his own, but won't have the hype and/or media intrigue... if we didn't have 6 premierships in the trophy cabinet we'd basically be the titans at this point

the_next

the_next

NRL Captain
Mar 9, 2018
I haven’t read the last 14 pages and I’m sure it’s been covered but **** this is such a bad look.
Gamble & now Cobbo have come out publicly shitcanned Kev and said he can’t coach.
Imagine what these are saying in private if this is what they’re happy to say on record.
You can tell that the “Cobbo statement” that has come out this morning was 100% written by the club.

I’ll be shocked if Kev sees out 2023. More worrying is the fact there is no one of note they can replace him with.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
It's the biggest NRL story in history, or at least since Olloapulooza: Selwyn Cobbo has friend-zoned his coach, stating in no uncertain terms he doesn't think of him in that way (as a coach).

Now Selwyn, Tyson, Karl, Keenan, Payne, Deine etc don't run the team, let alone the club, but the pressure on Keb has now ratcheted up to 12, and she's ready to blow. How long does Kebbie have?

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
New poll is up:

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I haven’t read the last 14 pages and I’m sure it’s been covered but **** this is such a bad look.
Gamble & now Cobbo have come out publicly shitcanned Kev and said he can’t coach.
Imagine what these are saying in private if this is what they’re happy to say on record.
You can tell that the “Cobbo statement” that has come out this morning was 100% written by the club.

I’ll be shocked if Kev sees out 2023. More worrying is the fact there is no one of note they can replace him with.
I think what's happening more is that the players don't consider Kevvie to be the coach... i.e. it's others responsible for the tactical side of the game.

It's the same way as Mal being criticised for not being the head coach.

I'd say Gamble's was blown out of proportion where to me he was actually bigging up Reynolds by stating everyone goes to Reyno.

To me Selwyn's was just a guy that is really really poor at verbalising what he thinks... you can see how uncomfortable he is in front of the camera.

By him saying he's a good bloke, but he's not great (as a coach)... I see that as him saying he's a good man manager, but not great at the tactics side, because someone else does that.

I think where it's going wrong with Kev is that he's not picking the best assistants... it's like they're all just mates and man managers, but no one can do the tactical side of modern league.... and the club remains in the stone age from that point of view.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Week 13 unless we're firmly entrenched in the top 4. If that's the case, end of season.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Lol if I've ever seen an apology written by someone else, this is it. Guy can barely string a sentence but has a well written apology.

he could simply be one of those guys that is bad at expressing themselves when put on the spot ... but when he has a chance to sit down and actually think about things he is able to make sense.

Chewed

Chewed

QCup Player
Feb 1, 2017
End of the year. Multiple players saying the same thing and the results are proof enough.

Old Boys had their man in there and he didn't do it, they don't have a leg to stand on.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I think what's happening more is that the players don't consider Kevvie to be the coach... i.e. it's others responsible for the tactical side of the game.

It's the same way as Mal being criticised for not being the head coach.

I'd say Gamble's was blown out of proportion where to me he was actually bigging up Reynolds by stating everyone goes to Reyno.

To me Selwyn's was just a guy that is really really poor at verbalising what he thinks... you can see how uncomfortable he is in front of the camera.

By him saying he's a good bloke, but he's not great (as a coach)... I see that as him saying he's a good man manager, but not great at the tactics side, because someone else does that.

I think where it's going wrong with Kev is that he's not picking the best assistants... it's like they're all just mates and man managers, but no one can do the tactical side of modern league.... and the club remains in the stone age from that point of view.

some of the best coaches in the game have done the same as Kev with Reyno.

Bellamy had Smith in that role
Robinson had Cronk (for their successful years)
Bennett had Langer and Walters, Lockyer and the list goes on.

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
How many NRL systems has Selwyn been in or places where he has had multiple coaching staff?
A good coach to Selwyn could mean a bloke who teaches/coaches you how to pass, catch, tackle etc like your junior grade coaches, not a NRL coach that relies on assistants and players and is more a man manager.
I don't think he's meant what he's said in the way it looks I just think he doesnt know/understand.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Herbie's looking trim.

Screen45bd42342823eebdac75b59f74a3cae3

Scorchie

Scorchie

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 16, 2008
14 pages and it’s not even lunchtime. This is on par to rival the Haas cluster fk!

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
some of the best coaches in the game have done the same as Kev with Reyno.

Bellamy had Smith in that role
Robinson had Cronk (for their successful years)
Bennett had Langer and Walters, Lockyer and the list goes on.
Yeah which is why I think these comments from Gamble and Cobbo aren't actually criticising the coaching setup they're just commentating on how it happens at the club.

Kev is the figure head and probably works on some facets of the tactical coaching (attack, halves, etc.), but there are other coaches and resources that provide further input into the tactics... Darius coaching the backs and fullback, 'someone' (Cartwright??) coaching the defence, Reyno assisting with the gameplans, etc.

I've been saying for a long time that we should've set Kev up with the same model Qld had through the dynasty and looked to get a Neil Henry or similar in as the tactical assistant coach, which he was for Mal before Hagan came in... and I think Henry was the assistant when we had the real success early on whereas Hagan has been able to ride coattails as the ship ran itself with CS9, Lockyer, Thursto, Billy, Cronk, etc.

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022
Speaking of old boys, since their chosen man is at the helm for over 2 years, I wish they come out in public & tell the playing group that they haven’t achieved shit & they need to stop doing dumb shit but just do what’s told and learn how to be players but mostly better humans.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Yeah which is why I think these comments from Gamble and Cobbo aren't actually criticising the coaching setup they're just commentating on how it happens at the club.

Kev is the figure head and probably works on some facets of the tactical coaching (attack, halves, etc.), but there are other coaches and resources that provide further input into the tactics... Darius coaching the backs and fullback, 'someone' (Cartwright??) coaching the defence, Reyno assisting with the gameplans, etc.

I've been saying for a long time that we should've set Kev up with the same model Qld had through the dynasty and looked to get a Neil Henry or similar in as the tactical assistant coach, which he was for Mal before Hagan came in... and I think Henry was the assistant when we had the real success early on whereas Hagan has been able to ride coattails as the ship ran itself with CS9, Thursto and Cronk.
Except, he didn't say that. This is literally, and unambiguously what Selwyn said:

"I don’t think he’s a good coach."​
" He’s not the best coach but he’s all right."​
"I don’t reckon he’s a coach."​
"I feel like he’s not a coach."​
Kevin's job at the club is "coach."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • KickHaas
  • KnToad
  • Loch Ness Monster
  • JayTeeM
  • Redux
  • Battler
  • Totally Unr3al
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • Old Mate
  • Lurker
  • MrMoore
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • pennywisealfie
  • Dash
  • Jazza
  • jarro65
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • mrslong
... and 57 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.