Cobbo: “I think he’s a nice guy but not a good coach”

How long does Kebbie have to prove he's more than just a good friend?

• It's over now

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • The trials

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • First 6 weeks

Votes: 17 19.3%
  • Week 13

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • When it's clear we're not making the finals

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • His contract review

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • As long as he needs to rebuild the club

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
How many NRL coaches has Cobbo been under where he knows what makes a "good" coach?
He didn't just say Keb's not a "good coach," he said he's not even "a coach." It's a struggle to spin a positive out of this.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Even if what he says is true this is very concerning for him. To go on a podcast and rag out team mates and coach shows you as a pretty low class human.

Low class human ?
Or just too honest ?

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
George Costanza Wow GIF by hero0fwar

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Whilst there is an element of Cobbo being a little shit, the troubling thing is he isn’t saying Kev is not a good coach, he keeps saying he’s not a coach (at all). As in what Kev is doing isn’t ‘coaching’.

I am getting the sense Kevin doesn’t or can’t relate to these blokes and is a poor communicator. He seemingly hasn’t solved the ‘clique’ problems either.

Kev is the front man / media officer .
A Rey is Captain Coach .

What does Selwyn think of Adam as coach is more relevant ...

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
Kev is the front man / media officer .
A Rey is Captain Coach .

What does Selwyn think of Adam as coach is more relevant ...

Kev is awful with the media.
ARey and Cobbo seem pretty tight, they had a great combo going, Reynolds spoke highly of him.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Low class human ?
Or just too honest ?

Young & dumb....he sounds no different to any other 19yro I've spoken with.

That said......I think there's more to the story about the "spell" Cobbo was given late in the season last year. Something happened between him and KW I reckon. Selwyn is still sulking......

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
So…Roosters need a new winter or something?

This is a PR nightmare, there’s no way to spin it. I’ve just lost a massive amount of respect for this kid, regardless of whether you agree with him or not about Kevvie, you just can’t have one of your players talking in public like this.

Well I guess we’ll be looking for a replacement singer for round 1 or so, he’s clearly going to have to get sanctioned.

Gamble said similar and then continued to play 1st grade .
Why is this different ?

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Except, he didn't say that. This is literally, and unambiguously what Selwyn said:

"I don’t think he’s a good coach."​
" He’s not the best coach but he’s all right."​
"I don’t reckon he’s a coach."​
"I feel like he’s not a coach."​
Kevin's job at the club is "coach."
Cartwright's job is also "coach", as well as Darius and previously Terry Matterson... and every now and then Ryan comes in as a coach.

Do we know what Cobbo's definition of a coach is or are we just assuming he's talking about a coach in the same way that you do... or that I do??

This is a guy who's every second word is "yeah" or "um"... if his definition of coach is the guy that does the tactics or is capable of doing the tactics, then he's likely correct, because Kevvie doesn't seem to be that guy at the club.

Is that good for Kevvie?? Hell no... but if Cobbo thinks Kevvie's role at the club is to be the figure head and look after the playing group and give people hugs when they need it, then he suggested that "he's a good bloke" that could mean he's good at doing his role for the club, but he's not good at doing the tactics.

Again is that good for Kevvie... nope... but that setup can work if he puts the right people around him, as evidenced by the Qld dynasty setup.

I just don't think we've done that... I also don't think that kind of setup is viable for long term success

I've only ever seen Kevvie as an interim coach to right the ship after the Bennett knifing and Seibold disaster... but I don't think the back office has done a great job at identifying a successor when the inevitable hit the fan.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
If we're sitting somewhere like 11th or 12th come the end of Origin season, I would say that's gg for Kev.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Kev is awful with the media.
ARey and Cobbo seem pretty tight, they had a great combo going, Reynolds spoke highly of him.
Kev is awful with the media, but he does do non-stop deflecting through cliches and self-deprecation.

He would see that as a way of defending his players... it's what Bennett did when he was a player so he tries to do the same.

The tactic also gets complimented a lot in the media... i.e. a coach coming out to defend his players... so he would see it as a good thing to do... unfortunately it's literally the only thing he ever does with the media. It's like 99% of his quotes, which is why you can't take anything he says seriously.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
We need a coach with no connection to club.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
He didn't just say Keb's not a "good coach," he said he's not even "a coach." It's a struggle to spin a positive out of this.
pretty sure he's a coach 🤔

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Kev is awful with the media, but he does do non-stop deflecting through cliches and self-deprecation.

He would see that as a way of defending his players... it's what Bennett did when he was a player so he tries to do the same.

It's now 2023, not the 1990's.

If a player played like shit, I want the coach to acknowledge it, they the media etc the truth.

If a bit of criticism hurts their little feelings. Piss them off.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
I am stunned about 2 things here.

Firstly, Selwyn openly admitting he's not a good coach.
Secondly, the reaction on here as it's what a lot of people seemed to believe (that he isn't a good coach).

My view, I think Kevvie was the guy the club employed to set a few standards that had obviously passed the club by under Seibold's watch. The next appointment will be the big one. The only way out of this is for Kevvie to coach the team to have a really good season and we were headed that way last season until a late season crumble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Wolfie
  • HarryAllan7
  • Cavalo
  • theshed
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fatboy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Totally Unr3al
  • BroncosAlways
  • Ronald
  • Stix
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Santa
  • Robboi_321
  • PETERN
  • Dash
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.