Cobbo: “I think he’s a nice guy but not a good coach”

How long does Kebbie have to prove he's more than just a good friend?

• It's over now

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • The trials

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • First 6 weeks

Votes: 17 19.3%
  • Week 13

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • When it's clear we're not making the finals

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • His contract review

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • As long as he needs to rebuild the club

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah we should do the same. But as far as I know we aren’t doing it currently which is why I suggested all players should do it to set the culture and the only new players moving forward.

Im pretty sure even Sims had to do it which is awesome

Yep doesn't matter if you have played 30 Tests if you join the Storm you have to do it. Sims was doing Robbinson's house building.

Broncos did it with TPJ he went and worked in a nursery for a while but that was it.

Yep doesn't matter if you have played 30 Tests if you join the Storm you have to do it. Sims was doing Robbinson's house building.

Broncos did it with TPJ he went and worked in a nursery for a while but that was it.
Wasn't that after the haircut incident?

Would be cool to see DD and co implement the Storm all players have to work a regular job for a bit in the preseason, at least as a one off.

Cobbo needs to go carry bricks for a week

I know Oatesy would probably love it but it would be good to see Reyno, Capewell, Patty, and Billy leading by example and volunteering to do so. Kev could earn a bit of respect by doing it along side them.

They can spend the summer being re-educated at our own gulag.

Rs7318 h7r12731920x768

shouldn't this have been something DD pushed for and also the coffee test

Meyn reporting that the club has opened contract extension negotiations with Kev, and have been in discussions since before Christmas.

DD says:

“Kevvie has all of our support. We are right behind him but also standing right beside him,” he said.

“Yes, he’s the conductor of the team as the head coach, but it’s a collective effort and we’re all in it together.

“The feedback I’ve got from the senior players across the course of the pre-season is that training, preparation and the whole program has really stepped up. They are working incredibly hard and Kev is leading that.

“He is doing a great job and we are absolutely committed to continuing to support him, as we are with the entire football program, to help us get back to where we want to be.

“We all saw the progress last year (ninth). We got a bit sloppy at the back end of last season but we have reviewed it, learnt from it and implemented steps to improve it.

“The feedback I’m getting is that’s happening and I’m seeing strong progress across the course of the pre-season.

“What that looks like on the field will play out in the early rounds, but I’ve been pleased with what I’ve seen from across the entire football program.”

“We’ve been really clear that continuity and stability at our club is really important,” Donaghy said.

“We’ve been through a lot of change over the last decade and haven’t had a lot of success. That’s not a coincidence.

“Stability and continuity is important, but so is progress. We want to see growth in the program.

“From what I’m seeing and the feedback I’m getting, we’re certainly seeing improvement across the board in our football program.

“Coaching the Broncos is a different beast. It’s a club that has a lot of eyeballs on it. We have the largest membership base, TV audience, social following and are in the heartland of rugby league.

“It’s not for everyone, but Kev’s done a great job bringing people together. He’s been terrific at connecting everyone involved in the footy club.

“It’s a much more stable environment than what it’s been and that gets overlooked a lot in the whole discussion.“

Meyn reporting that the club has opened contract extension negotiations with Kev, and have been in discussions since before Christmas.

DD says:

“Kevvie has all of our support. We are right behind him but also standing right beside him,” he said.

“Yes, he’s the conductor of the team as the head coach, but it’s a collective effort and we’re all in it together.

“The feedback I’ve got from the senior players across the course of the pre-season is that training, preparation and the whole program has really stepped up. They are working incredibly hard and Kev is leading that.

“He is doing a great job and we are absolutely committed to continuing to support him, as we are with the entire football program, to help us get back to where we want to be.

“We all saw the progress last year (ninth). We got a bit sloppy at the back end of last season but we have reviewed it, learnt from it and implemented steps to improve it.

“The feedback I’m getting is that’s happening and I’m seeing strong progress across the course of the pre-season.

“What that looks like on the field will play out in the early rounds, but I’ve been pleased with what I’ve seen from across the entire football program.”

“We’ve been really clear that continuity and stability at our club is really important,” Donaghy said.

“We’ve been through a lot of change over the last decade and haven’t had a lot of success. That’s not a coincidence.

“Stability and continuity is important, but so is progress. We want to see growth in the program.

“From what I’m seeing and the feedback I’m getting, we’re certainly seeing improvement across the board in our football program.

“Coaching the Broncos is a different beast. It’s a club that has a lot of eyeballs on it. We have the largest membership base, TV audience, social following and are in the heartland of rugby league.

“It’s not for everyone, but Kev’s done a great job bringing people together. He’s been terrific at connecting everyone involved in the footy club.

“It’s a much more stable environment than what it’s been and that gets overlooked a lot in the whole discussion.“

That will be music to the ears of a select few

Extension means squat, he likely has a 1 or 2 month pay out clause. It shows the players he's supported so they don't try to undermine him (anymore than they have) but behind closed doors the discussion would be entirely different when Walters isn't in the room.

Regardless of platitudes, or "extensions" I'm sure it's perform or perish.
I said the same thing when they were talking about his last extension and yet here we are. Seibold’s contact would’ve been up after 2024 so maybe in 2025 the shareholders may let the club spend a little on upgrading the coach.

shouldn't this have been something DD pushed for and also the coffee test
Maybe it wasn’t particularly difficult to be CEO of an NRL club with the greatest coach of all time in charge of every aspect relating to football. DD may actually have very little ability to impact a football clubs on field success.

Maybe it wasn’t particularly difficult to be CEO of an NRL club with the greatest coach of all time in charge of every aspect relating to football. DD may actually have very little ability to impact a football clubs on field success.

I think you'll find that most CEO's have very little impact on a clubs on field success

well from an organisational point of view there is no better time to negotiate an extension than off the back of a massive bed shit and with no other club approaching him despite being off contract. Should get a pretty good bargain to continue to offset the Seibold pay out.

Kevvie is a rare case ... we could offer him a can of coke and a meat pie to coach the team, and he would turn down $1 million offers to accept.

extending his contracts early are:

A) a way to ATTEMPT to give the media less of a talking point around his contract
B) sending a message of stability to the team

Whilst people maybe be freaking out that Donuts wants to re-sign Kebbie, I’m looking at it that Kebbie has the “full support of the board”. We all know that’s the kiss of death. Kebbie will be coaching his last season here this year.

Extension means squat, he likely has a 1 or 2 month pay out clause. It shows the players he's supported so they don't try to undermine him (anymore than they have) but behind closed doors the discussion would be entirely different when Walters isn't in the room.

Regardless of platitudes, or "extensions" I'm sure it's perform or perish.
Wasn't this in his last contact? I am sure the media made a point in saying it was a unheard of contract that allowed him to be moved on easily. Performance based and I think that's how all these coaching contracts should be for rookies.

Am I missing something? Where in those quotes does it say they are looking to extend him?

I can see an acknowledgement that last year was concerning and then a lot of positive PR to support a coach under pressure but nowhere do I see something that implies an extension is on the table?

And for those posters who might be disappointed with this positive PR, again, what do you expect management to come out and say?

'Yeah nah Kebbie (this is a stupid name by the way, just using it to here to go with the stupidity) sucks aye, signed his kid and stuff and like, nah, those three fans who hate him for stuff are roight aye, can't wait to sack the guy, that'll show 'em!'

Am I missing something? Where in those quotes does it say they are looking to extend him?

I can see an acknowledgement that last year was concerning and then a lot of positive PR to support a coach under pressure but nowhere do I see something that implies an extension is on the table?

And for those posters who might be disappointed with this positive PR, again, what do you expect management to come out and say?

'Yeah nah Kebbie (this is a stupid name by the way, just using it to here to go with the stupidity) sucks aye, signed his kid and stuff and like, nah, those three fans who hate him for stuff are roight aye, can't wait to sack the guy, that'll show 'em!'
Maybe just a little condescending lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Brocko
  • MrMoore
  • Rambstien
  • Brotherdu
  • bb_gun
  • TimWhatley
  • Broncosgirl
  • Big Del
  • ivanhungryjak
  • RolledOates
  • Santa
  • dasherhalo
  • leon.bott
  • Skathen
  • broncsgoat
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Old Mate
  • Galah
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.