Cobbo: “I think he’s a nice guy but not a good coach”

How long does Kebbie have to prove he's more than just a good friend?

• It's over now

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • The trials

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • First 6 weeks

Votes: 17 19.3%
  • Week 13

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • When it's clear we're not making the finals

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • His contract review

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • As long as he needs to rebuild the club

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
And Paul White, very very very much so but it all started with Bruno Cullen.

if Bruno Cullen and Paul White were responsible for the clubs on field performance then so to is Dave Donaghy ... people can't have it both ways.

they can't lay the blame at the feet of previous CEO's because they disliked them ... then absolve a CEO they like of blame for on field performance.

funnily enough I never heard anyone on here complain about Paul White UNTIL he carried out the instructions of the board (sacking Bennett and replacing him with Seibold). He was the public face of the drama, but not the decision maker.

if Bruno Cullen and Paul White were responsible for the clubs on field performance then so to is Dave Donaghy ... people can't have it both ways.

they can't lay the blame at the feet of previous CEO's because they disliked them ... then absolve a CEO they like of blame for on field performance.

funnily enough I never heard anyone on here complain about Paul White UNTIL he carried out the instructions of the board (sacking Bennett and replacing him with Seibold). He was the public face of the drama, but not the decision maker.

Yaha. Nice shifting of the goal posts there but this conversation has been done to death, you are not going to change your mind on it and neither am I, so no point continuing.

I'm not even trying to hide it but back to the key point, where does Donuts say they are looking to extend him?

He hasn't ... Meyn and the CM have. these were the quotes they included with the article (along with the Cobbo will be sanctioned quotes)

Am I missing something? Where in those quotes does it say they are looking to extend him?

I can see an acknowledgement that last year was concerning and then a lot of positive PR to support a coach under pressure but nowhere do I see something that implies an extension is on the table?

And for those posters who might be disappointed with this positive PR, again, what do you expect management to come out and say?

'Yeah nah Kebbie (this is a stupid name by the way, just using it to here to go with the stupidity) sucks aye, signed his kid and stuff and like, nah, those three fans who hate him for stuff are roight aye, can't wait to sack the guy, that'll show 'em!'

They can't use the name Kevvie, as that would be paying too much respect to the bloke.

That's the way I am seeing it. Bunch of simpletons really.

I'm not even trying to hide it but back to the key point, where does Donuts say they are looking to extend him?
As per the OP, it's in the editorial. From recent previous experience - Herbie, Oates, Billy, Keenan, Kobe, Tesi, Kevvie etc - they do seem to know when the club is in talks. But that's all it means, they're talking. They're not so great at predicting the precise outcome. They got Oates, Palasia and Niu spectacularly, or speculatively if you like, wrong.

I'll leave it to you to speculate on the off-record sources.

ScreenScreenshot 2023 01 15 at 07 20 42 Revealed Broncos sanction Cobbo for explosive comments

As per the OP, it's in the editorial. From recent previous experience - Herbie, Oates, Billy, Keenan, Kobe, Tesi, Kevvie etc - they do seem to know when the club is in talks. But that's all it means, they're talking. They're not so great at predicting the precise outcome. They got Oates, Palasia and Niu spectacularly, or speculatively if you like, wrong.

View attachment 20696
That’s true. That could just as easily be interpreted as Kev saying “can I have an extension” and the club saying “not yet”

Not that I think that’s the case but that would technically be “extension talks”

Who is saying that DD isn’t responsible? You’re arguing with yourself.

I questioned DD, you defended him. Some of us pointed out that White contributed to on field failures, you said if we are holding White responsible than we have to hold DD responsible. Which I already was - how is that wanting to have it both ways?

Some of your arguments are really puzzling to me. It feels like your comments are heavily impacted by how you feel and not any real sense of logic.

View attachment 20696

Right, so as usual some very ‘journalistic licence’ taken once again.

Not at all, especially in the context of the publication and its corporate relationship with the owner. The source is Meyn, on behalf of his publisher, or in this case "The Sunday Mail." It might've even come from Donuts as an aside, but he hasn't attributed it to him. I don't see anything out of the ordinary here, but I also put zero stock in it.

That’s true. That could just as easily be interpreted as Kev saying “can I have an extension” and the club saying “not yet”

Not that I think that’s the case but that would technically be “extension talks”
Exactly. Or his agent bringing it up when they were discussing Palasia's request. The permutations are endless...

Bit like the story running today that Brisbane will punish Cobbo because he's criticised Kev.

He's being punished because he broke his contract and did a media piece without the club's permission.....

If that was the case why wasn't he punted?

Because he's News Corps bitch. They're the only ones with the power to remove him.

It doesn't matter if every single other shareholder votes for change, as long as news Corp want him, he won't be going anywhere.

BTW, the board who he's in charge of hire both the coach and the CEO

Because he's News Corps bitch. They're the only ones with the power to remove him.

It doesn't matter if every single other shareholder votes for change, as long as news Corp want him, he won't be going anywhere.

BTW, the board who he's in charge of hire both the coach and the CEO
I know News Corp have a big majority stake in the Broncos and can (and do) call he shots.

What I don't get is why they wouldn't punt under perfoming people or worse those who blow up the place.

Last time I checked News Corp was not a charity or a sheltered workshop and there are many stories of staff getting sacked (even if they were doing an ok job) never mind stuffing things up.

Heck Murdoch even shut down and entire newspaper (News of the World) some years back over a telephone hacking scandal.

Don't know why they wouldn't sack one lousy chairman of a small company (relative to the rest of the murdoch empire) for making a mess of things.

To me it just didn't add up at the time and still doesn't now.

Bit like the story running today that Brisbane will punish Cobbo because he's criticised Kev.

He's being punished because he broke his contract and did a media piece without the club's permission.....

I’d say the content of what Cobbo said in the podcast is the main issue though. If he praised KW as a good coach and didn’t make any other outrageous remarks like leaving games early, do you think he’d still be punished for it being “unauthorised”?

I know News Corp have a big majority stake in the Broncos and can (and do) call he shots.

What I don't get is why they wouldn't punt under perfoming people or worse those who blow up the place.

Last time I checked News Corp was not a charity or a sheltered workshop and there are many stories of staff getting sacked (even if they were doing an ok job) never mind stuffing things up.

Heck Murdoch even shut down and entire newspaper (News of the World) some years back over a telephone hacking scandal.

Don't know why they wouldn't sack one lousy chairman of a small company (relative to the rest of the murdoch empire) for making a mess of things.

To me it just didn't add up at the time and still doesn't now.

News Corp don't really care about on field performance. they care about money. in that respect the club has been doing very well. (with the exception of having to pay out Seibold).

However, the negative coverage the club gets when going poorly on the field is like gold to News Corp. the Courier Mail's click go up causing their profits to go up (and that's what they really care about)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • Culhwch
  • Evander
  • Aldo
  • Stix
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncosgirl
  • lynx000
  • NSW stables
  • FACTHUNT
  • Lostboy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fozz
  • Tmac
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.