Cobbo: “I think he’s a nice guy but not a good coach”

How long does Kebbie have to prove he's more than just a good friend?

• It's over now

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • The trials

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • First 6 weeks

Votes: 17 19.3%
  • Week 13

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • When it's clear we're not making the finals

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • His contract review

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • As long as he needs to rebuild the club

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kev's into his 3rd offseason with this team, if the young blood are admitting this stuff (stupidly) publicly then this should be setting off massive alarm bells for the senior management.

Cobbo deserves a clip around the ears for sure, but Kev's gotta go if there's any substance to this and multiple players feel this way. Kev's been critised as a coach before and it was a surprise to many that the broncos caved to the old boys when they picked him in the first place as he hadn't done enough to justify the post in his past coaching gigs.

People in here saying to sack cobbo, get a grip guys. Footy players are generally only at this level due to their physical abilities, the stuff between the ears is more 'nice to have'. Rugby players and saying dumb shit go hand in hand and has done for as long as I can remember which is before the broncos were ever around.

He probably was giving the phins a decent look, given the shitshow at the broncos with the dud head coach and it's hard to blame him if there are serious problems at the club.

Kev has had his picks of coaching assistants pulled away from him because the head office knows there's problems there. They are trying to surround him in help to get the job done - but the writing has been on the wall for a while. Kev was recruited in Sept 2020, results need to start now or he can **** right off.
The only thing can save Kev at this point is for the rest of the team to rally around, give him the thumbs up and win games. I can't think of any coach who's survived this kind of player insurrection. Even Seibold didn't have this level of public dissent.

This, combined with the abysmal end to the season; Oloapu, Mariner, Haas and Palasia wanting immediate releases; the rift wth Ikin; the resurrection of 2 (and maybe 3) of the halves he ejected; his installation of his son, who's roundly regarded as the least talented player in the side, into a critical spine role; that his word on any issue has no credibility; his brother being sacked for no obvious reason; his inabilty to attract convincing assistant coaches; and his bumbling through press conferences, does not paint the picture of the commander of a ship that's going to make the journey.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic but it works both ways.
No, I think it is literally impossible to defend Kev’s coaching. He’s been terrible for 2 seasons and this isn’t the first player to publicly say this. You know that other coach who had players talk about their lack of ability publcily? No me either. As someone else said earlier - even Seibold was given cliched defending by players. Ask @Wolfie, what Cobbo has been dumb enough to say publicly is what other players have been saying privately.

Selwyn is a gun player, Haas in a gun player, Oluapu is gun, Mariner is a gun. Gamble is better than Billy.

So do you sack all of them to keep a failing coach or do you hold on to the talent and swap the coach out.

It’s not too late to bring Hasler in for a year while we work out a deal with Rohan Smith. Get the wheels in motion to sign Wayne as head of culture in 2 seasons time.

No, I think it is literally impossible to defend Kev’s coaching. He’s been terrible for 2 seasons and this isn’t the first player to publicly say this. You know that other coach who had players talk about their lack of ability publcily? No me either. As someone else said earlier - even Seibold was given cliched defending by players. Ask @Wolfie, what Cobbo has been dumb enough to say publicly is what other players have been saying privately.

Selwyn is a gun player, Haas in a gun player, Oluapu is gun, Mariner is a gun. Gamble is better than Billy.

So do you sack all of them to keep a failing coach or do you hold on to the talent and swap the coach out.

It’s not too late to bring Hasler in for a year while we work out a deal with Rohan Smith. Get the wheels in motion to sign Wayne as head of culture in 2 seasons time.
I reckon it’s Kevs time. His time has come. I didn’t want it to be like this but if that’s the attitude of the players all be it shouldn’t have come out like that you can’t voluntarily walk into a season just cause it’s a little bit less diabolical.

I reckon bring Des in for as long as it takes to get Rohan Smith. Get him in before the end of the week and turn this pre season into an origin camp type thing where all they are doing is getting suited to Des’s plays and systems. Should be fit enough by now apart from the odd WC player.

Rohan smith would be so good and would already have relationships with some players e.g paix

The most brutal part of Selwyn’s comments was that he didn’t only say he’s not a good coach he said, twice, that he feels Kev “is not a coach”.

Selwyn doesn’t even think he’s cut out for the job at all let alone an average coach lol

This is allegedly the third coach in a row that players have seemingly pushed out because they didn't like the coaching style, though you could definitely argue the first one was more management driven. Even so, what is going on behind the scenes? Why do players feel comfortable enough that they can say this stuff publicly?

He probably felt he was just being honest. And he is incredibly naive and inexperienced in life. I don’t see it as malicious.
If that is simply the case then I will take back a lot of what I have said. I know he is young and clearly pretty dumb, I just cannot see how a functioning adult can be this dumb. I mean 10 year olds get the concept of being recorded and not saying things you wouldn’t want repeated. For me to believe he really is just this dumb it would have to be some kind of adult guardian situation.

Happy to be wrong but I think he is being given far more benefit of the doubt than he deserves. I think in a few days time it comes out that Uncle Wayne has offered him fullback and a huge upgrade and this is why this is happening.

This is allegedly the third coach in a row that players have seemingly pushed out because they didn't like the coaching style, though you could definitely argue the first one was more management driven. Even so, what is going on behind the scenes? Why do players feel comfortable enough that they can say this stuff publicly?
The third? The players loved Wayne, it was White who pushed him out.

The last 2 coaches have been bad at their job and failed to build any connection with their players.

If that is simply the case then I will take back a lot of what I have said. I know he is young and clearly pretty dumb, I just cannot see how a functioning adult can be this dumb. I mean 10 year olds get the concept of being recorded and not saying things you wouldn’t want repeated. For me to believe he really is just this dumb it would have to be some kind of adult guardian situation.

Happy to be wrong but I think he is being given far more benefit of the doubt than he deserves. I think in a few days time it comes out that Uncle Wayne has offered him fullback and a huge upgrade and this is why this is happening.

I think it might also be a case of him repeating what he has seen and heard.

I also think you are taking the attacks on his intelligence a bit far. He basically has a teenager mentality and teenagers don’t fully understand the variety of consequences an action can have.

The most brutal part of Selwyn’s comments was that he didn’t only say he’s not a good coach he said, twice, that he feels Kev “is not a coach”.

Selwyn doesn’t even think he’s cut out for the job at all let alone an average coach lol
I don't think anyone here expected Kev to be a great coach. He was supposed to come in, raise the club flag and "fix the culture." Well this is the "culture" two years on, and we're coming off the back of the worst run of floggings in the club's history. It's not looking good for him at all.

Does Tallis have a platform to defend this or is his show off air atm? Cannot wait for his take.

This podcast was done last October supposedly and is just resurfacing because of reddit. You’d think if he was going for that upgrade you’re talking about it could’ve been done a lot more effectively. Otherwise I tend to agree with you.

Just quietly: no one's mentioned the elephant in the room. He's really packed it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncorob
  • kman
  • Wolfie
  • Allo
  • Waynesaurus
  • Manlyman
  • Fitzy
  • phoenix
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Broncos Maestro
  • IceWorks
  • Sproj
  • Fozz
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.