Dally M Awards

It's the same in every sport- you can't win the Brownlow if you're suspended and cricket too- Roy couldn't win the One Day player of the year in 2006- he won it on points but was ineligible and Hussey won on countback.
I think its fucked.
Imagine having a prestigious accolade taken from you because you swore in someones general direction.
They couldnt even prove that it was the ref he swore at (even though we know he did).

I understand your eligibility being removed if you committed a egregious offense, but for some bad words?

If im Kev, im teaching all my boys to swear at the officials in french, so they don't have a clue what they are being called and can still win the Dally M.

Its stupid.

I think its fucked.
Imagine having a prestigious accolade taken from you because you swore in someones general direction.
They couldnt even prove that it was the ref he swore at (even though we know he did).

I understand your eligibility being removed if you committed a egregious offense, but for some bad words?

If im Kev, im teaching all my boys to swear at the officials in french, so they don't have a clue what they are being called and can still win the Dally M.

Its stupid.

These awards were always about being the "best and fairest" and it was decided by the referees- the fairest part was always about not having been suspended and I imagine even if Walsh didn't get suspended in the old days, he wouldn't have impressed the officials a few times this year and wouldn't have got votes.

The danger with letting anyone win it is if a player is good enough, they might win it having it been suspended for 10 games and then you're rewarding someone the game probably doesn't want to uphold as a shining light.

If you start, getting into what is ok and not ok to be suspended for and still win it creates all sort of issues.

These awards were always about being the "best and fairest" and it was decided by the referees- the fairest part was always about not having been suspended and I imagine even if Walsh didn't get suspended in the old days, he wouldn't have impressed the officials a few times this year and wouldn't have got votes.

The danger with letting anyone win it is if a player is good enough, they might win it having it been suspended for 10 games and then you're rewarding someone the game probably doesn't want to uphold as a shining light.

If you start, getting into what is ok and not ok to be suspended for and still win it creates all sort of issues.
Yea I see your point. Perhaps there should be another reward for the best player, even if they are prone to being a bit of a fuckwit.

Talent doesn't always come with a good attitude or personality.

Yea I see your point. Perhaps there should be another reward for the best player, even if they are prone to being a bit of a fuckwit.

Talent doesn't always come with a good attitude or personality.
The reward is high salaries and winning premierships. It's only his fault for missing the Dally M. Hopefully he learns his lesson and is even more determined next year because switched on he's a shoe-in for the Dally M.

The reward is high salaries and winning premierships. It's only his fault for missing the Dally M. Hopefully he learns his lesson and is even more determined next year because switched on he's a shoe-in for the Dally M.
I get it.

But would a reward for the best player also be good?
Doesnt matter if you punch a cop or call the Ref a weak gutted ****, that doesnt detract from your ability to be an excellent footballer.

I get what 1910 was saying in regards to best and "FAIREST" and that makes sense.
But you should still be able to reward the best player for their skill, even if they are a dickhead.

I get it.

But would a reward for the best player also be good?
Doesnt matter if you punch a cop or call the Ref a weak gutted ****, that doesnt detract from your ability to be an excellent footballer.

I get what 1910 was saying in regards to best and "FAIREST" and that makes sense.
But you should still be able to reward the best player for their skill, even if they are a dickhead.
Honestly, I don't think so. Walsh's suspension is controversial for sure, but if someone like JWH who spends a 3rd of the year suspended for being a total grub, how would you feel in a parallel universe where he was voted the best player in the game while being the biggest grub in the game?

Honestly, I don't think so. Walsh's suspension is controversial for sure, but if someone like JWH who spends a 3rd of the year suspended for being a total grub, how would you feel in a parallel universe where he was voted the best player in the game while being the biggest grub in the game?
If he was the best player in the game, and the reward was based on skill, i would be happy about it.

You know who else was a complete fuckwit and won every accolade the game had on offer?

Michael Jordan.
Floyd Mayweather.
Mike Tyson.
Tiger Woods.
Jon Jones.
John Mcenroe.

The list go's on.

Nice guys dont always = best players.
The Dally M is rewarding nice guys who play well, not the best players.

I will also add, there is a big difference between cussing and headbutting/forearm leading/grubby tactics.
So to be removed from selection for swearing in the same way someone is removed for foul play is to me, fucken ridiculous.

A suspension of his size should absolutely rule any player out of the main award given it is based on the best and fairest. I think it's a load of shit though that he won't be considered for the award in his position.

Edit: I'll add to this...within reason obviously. I don't know the current rules around it, as in how many games you have to miss to rule you out, but say it's 3 weeks suspension rules you out of the Big one, 5 rules you out of your position as well. Or something like that.

Remember the game that Walsh was swearing in? It was frustration over really poor referee calls throughout the game….. so an inconsistent and poor performance from a man who then votes on who to reward for their performance.

You just can’t make this shit up.

Remember the game that Walsh was swearing in? It was frustration over really poor referee calls throughout the game….. so an inconsistent and poor performance from a man who then votes on who to reward for their performance.

You just can’t make this shit up.
Referees don't vote on Dally m

1910 tends to know his shit.

I personally have no clue who does the voting but i trust 1910's info.
That's historically with the Rothman's Medal.

Dally M is ex-player/journos.

But I think 1910's point is that's where the 'fairest' component comes in and why players like Slater, Joey and now Walsh have missed out.

1910 tends to know his shit.

I personally have no clue who does the voting but i trust 1910's info.
The dally m voting is always published up until a certain round then it goes secret. Media people vote on it. Been massive controversy over the years. Ruan Sims put votes in for a game she actually wasn't at once. AFL is the umpires I still believe.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Waynesaurus
  • Fozz
  • Spooky1013
  • Xzei
  • Broncorob
  • Sproj
  • theshed
  • Tim K
  • The True King
  • Mr Fourex
  • Fitzy
  • broncos4life
  • BroncosAlways
  • Allo
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Bucking Beads
  • Mick_Hancock
  • FACTHUNT
  • sooticus
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.