Darius Anointed As New Leader

Alfie cried when he suddenly retired in 1997. He is probably more famous for what he achieved in the years after that shock press conference. Boydey will do a stellar job, I would shed a tear too if I was appointed skipper of the most famous RL club of the modern era.

Supported the club since he was six ...he's one of us same as Corey ..The losses look like they really hurt him ....like locky.

One thing that shits me is players that aren't bothered about our history and don't appear to give a toss win lose or draw. Can't say that about Darius...welll done to him and I look forward to his own leadership style developing and some decent insights in press conferences ...you know get to know him that bit more too

uBJbk0Y.png

Darius & Thaiday front and centre for team photo.

Front row (Left to Right) - Alex Glenn, Josh McGuire, Adam Blair, Andrew McCullough, Darius Boyd, Sam Thaiday, Matt Gillett, Ben Hunt, Anthony Milford, Jordan Kahu
I don't agree @jd123. Boyd's got this. More of a concern is that Matt Gillett seems to have completely lost all faith in his left knee. If you look at the photo, it's like he no longer believes it will hold up the weight of his hand. Big big problem.

Won 2 premierships. Played numerous games for his state and country. He's a Clive churchil medallist.

And he says this is easily his best achievement in rugby league.

Sounds like they gave it to right bloke to me. On ya darbs.

Could easily have been a 3 time premiership player already and probably will be by the time he retires. He's rising up to be the next Lockyer.

The butthurt on facebook is hilarious. Darius Bennett etc......completely ignoring the fact that Bennett has coached him his entire career and has never named him captain (apart from a possible stand in situation). Also ignoring the fact that he's, you know, the right guy for the job.

The butthurt on facebook is hilarious. Darius Bennett etc......completely ignoring the fact that Bennett has coached him his entire career and has never named him captain (apart from a possible stand in situation). Also ignoring the fact that he's, you know, the right guy for the job.
To make fun of a guy who has suffered severe depression and mental health problems and come out the other side must make them feel like real heroes.

And saying that captain should go to a player who is loyal.. Completely ignoring the fact that Boyd never wanted to leave the Broncos. He was forced out.

Parker was teary when he announced his retirement. Sometimes men have a right to feel overwhelmed ?
I agree with you and there is nothing wrong with that.

Lol, are you for real, or are you trying to get a response?

He cried for being selected as captain, so that's somehow proof he's not captain material, is that what you're saying?
No, not at all. I believe he does not have the mental toughness needed to be Captain and that the role will overwhelm him and affect his game.

You deadset cannot be serious?
Tell us what you know about mental toughness?
I might write a book one-day, I will send you a free copy.
Have you experienced something like the enormity of being named the Broncos captain? A club that you had supported since you were a boy and aspired to play at. A club that feels like family under a coach that is like a father.

That's the reality for Boyd. Nothing to do with depression, relapses or pressure. Pure emotion and happiness at achieving what he obviously sees as his highest honour, above premierships, origin victories and Australian jerseys and fulfilling a childhood dream.
You just posted some of the very reasons why I think he shouldn't be Captain, "the enormity of it", I don't think he is ready for it. Lets see if I am right or wrong, come back and quote me in 4 or 5 months time and if I am wrong, I will be the first to admit it.
Grow up mate. Your trolling is ridiculous.
No need for accusations or making it personal, if you disagree with me, fine, but stick to the topic and try not to insult me because you disagree with me. Thanks.

People who battle with depression are some of the mentally toughest folk you'll come across.
I agree and I applaud what he did and how brave he was to even talk about his depression publicly, he is a better man for it and shows he has put a lot of those demons to rest.
But there will always be that small inner voice of doubt in his head and lumping him with coaching the Broncos, a team with probably the highest expectations year in year out in the NRL I think is a foolish decision and will affect him both on and off the field.

More proof that you do not necessarily need a long neck to be a goose.
Also proof that those who dislike you for speaking the truth are probably living a lie.

No mate I am serious, I don't think he has the mental toughness for the role, given his previous bouts of depression and I think the added pressure will affect his game.

I think he is ready. Fact is he was told last year that he would be captain. How did he take that news, did he break down... nope he proceeded to have arguably the best year of his career and was by far our best player.

He also stood up in big games and the karmichael type runs returned when it was needed. As he said he will lead by action rather than words and he showed last year how he intends to lead

And saying that captain should go to a player who is loyal.. Completely ignoring the fact that Boyd never wanted to leave the Broncos. He was forced out.
Haha yeah I had a friend saying the same thing... They were shocked when I told them that it was the Broncos who told him he wasn't required.

Still didn't change their mind.

I agree with you and there is nothing wrong with that.

Also proof that those who dislike you for speaking the truth are probably living a lie.

It is great to see that you personally value your opinion so highly that it transforms from a subjective, judgmental and misinformed assessment to immutable truth. I cannot wait for your further pontifications to enlighten and amaze us all.

And can I add my congratulations to Boydie, very well deserved appointment and it is great to see someone battle back from the black dog. I think he is going to be a fantastic captain.

No mate I am serious, I don't think he has the mental toughness for the role, given his previous bouts of depression and I think the added pressure will affect his game.
Absolutely within your rights to make such an assessment although as the saying goes, it takes pressure to make a diamond. The family and the job may give his mind two focal points which might just be the right amount for him to handle well.

Absolutely within your rights to make such an assessment although as the saying goes, it takes pressure to make a diamond. The family and the job may give his mind two focal points which might just be the right amount for him to handle well.
Time will tell.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • MrTickyMcG
  • ivanhungryjak
  • FACTHUNT
  • Justwin
  • Xzei
  • Strop
  • leon.bott
  • GCBRONCO
  • Kev_Guz
  • Fitzy
  • Financeguy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Manofoneway
  • broncos4life
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.