NEWS Dodgy Deal: Broncos accused of deception by Schoolboys captain

Eh, I just don’t see shopping players around as the same thing.

When a player and club agree on a contract the player is promising a service for a duration of time and the club is promising a monetary amount.

If a player wants out the club loses the service promised over the duration agreed. That is to say, the club does not get what they were entitled to by contract.

If a player gets shopped around, no matter what happens they get the amount promised. Yes it’s not good form for a club to do it behind the players back but they don’t lose what they were contractually promised which is money.

If the players digs their heels in and refuses to leave they still get the money they just potentially don’t get to play first grade - which is never contractually promised by any smart club. If a club refuses to release a player the player can choose to not play or to not perform - that is, the club loses the service they were entitled too.

Clubs should be able to trade contracted players for cap space. If Dolphins want Mariner they should have to pay him whatever amount he’s after and also offer the broncos an amount of their cap which the broncos can use for the amount of years agreed. Dolphins pay Mariner $300k which is under their cap, and if the broncos agree, the Dolphins also forfeit $200k (or whatever amount) from their cap which the broncos can now spend for as many years as the 2 clubs agree.
I agree that's how they should compensate clubs. There has to be a consequence for it to some degree.

Still, regarding contracted players, if they all agree it's good for everyone, but you can't defend the club for basically doing what the players are. Forcing somebody out of the club Is never good regardless of the contract getting paid out.

Must admit, I'm actually loving all the animosity this situation is causing. Being bought up on English football I love close rivalries where teams really can't stand each other. Australian fans are generally pretty lame with this sort of thing usually imo. The Broncos vs Phins games could be really spicy!

Looks like the Broncos still have a long way to go to get back to the top. Once you are there, shit like this doesn't really happen.
I don't think we are that far away tbh. A couple of smart bits of recruitment will see us back in the top 4.

Must admit, I'm actually loving all the animosity this situation is causing. Being bought up on English football I love close rivalries where teams really can't stand each other. Australian fans are generally pretty lame with this sort of thing usually imo. The Broncos vs Phins games could be really spicy!
yeah cause there's nothing wrong with getting a bit stabby over the jersey you support .

I agree that's how they should compensate clubs. There has to be a consequence for it to some degree.

Still, regarding contracted players, if they all agree it's good for everyone, but you can't defend the club for basically doing what the players are. Forcing somebody out of the club Is never good regardless of the contract getting paid out.
Disagree. As long as everyone gets what they are contractually entitled too. Which as I said doesn’t happen when the players forces their way out but does happen if a club forced a player out.

To be fair, soccer fans have to do all of the singing and rivalry stuff to entertain themselves because the actual sport sucks.

Disagree. As long as everyone gets what they are contractually entitled too. Which as I said doesn’t happen when the players forces their way out but does happen if a club forced a player out.
So a club can go behind a players back but a player can't go behind a clubs back. Doesn't sound hypocritical at all.

Good reply. Now this conversation is officially more entertaining than a game of soccer.
There's a good reason why football is the most popular sport in the world.

There's a good reason why football is the most popular sport in the world.
How easy it is to play mixed with the lack of contact so everyone can play no matter how soft they might be?

And just for the record mate, I don't think you are wrong in what you are stating either, but I don't think I am either at the same time because every case is different. Speaking about two situations i know about, When Opacic got a release it worked for everyone and there were no dramas. When lodge was released he didn't want to go and basically got forced out. He didn't really have any choice but to go when he was stuffed around first by Walters then basically told he wouldn't be playing if he stayed. Both situations where the club did the right thing by a player and shit on another because it suited them to get him out.

Dolphins will treat the game as a proper derby and come out blazing... Broncos players haven't turned up and bashed a club for about 5yrs or so.

Can see us getting steamrolled

Dolphins will treat the game as a proper derby and come out blazing... Broncos players haven't turned up and bashed a club for about 5yrs or so.

Yes, the last time we pummelled teams in the way teams routinely pummel us was back in 2018 with Milford and Nikorima in the halves. Be interesting to see if they can get that magic combo happening again at Sea World.

I actually think it will be good for us. They are stepping on our toes and we should respond. I know a lot of people won't admit it, but long term I can see them jumping ahead of us in terms of their player development if we don't start improving.

Unread

Active Now

• Skyblues87
  • BroncosAlways
  • kiwibronco
  • The Strapper
  • Big Del
  • Harry Sack
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Xzei
  • Behold
  • Sproj
  • ChewThePhatt
  • whykickamoocow
  • Jedhead
  • GCBRONCO
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.