Drugs in sport - government investigation

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
and if ASADA comes to the NRL and says 'we found this person to have breached our code/etc', the NRL will sanction them. why would the NRL pay them all this money every year and then not listen to what they say? pretty sure ASADA wouldnt be happy with doing their investigations, finding someone breached their rules, then the NRL just saying "thanks, but we dont care and we're not gonna listen to you".

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I think Gallen is the most likely to be guilty, especially how he went from being a nobody in his first years who no one though would make it, to just a machine. But he's the NSW captain and their ideal player, he's also the most likely to get away with it.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
I think Gallen is the most likely to be guilty, especially how he went from being a nobody in his first years who no one though would make it, to just a machine. But he's the NSW captain and their ideal player, he's also the most likely to get away with it.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/star-sharks-confront-asada-whistle-blower/story-e6frexrr-1226592350198

Cronula captain Paul Gallen and star players Ben Pomeroy and John Morris fronted ex-Sharks head-conditioner Trent Elkin at his house last Tuesday night over the ASADA doping crisis engulfing the club.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the trio visited Elkin to demand answers about his level of co-operation with the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority.

Elkin is alleged to have divulged full details of the Sharks high performance supplements program during his reign as head conditioner, which ended last October when he joined Ricky Stuart at Parramatta.

I am wearing my conspiracy theory hat, why would you demand to know what he did or said. Unless??????

Last edited:
Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
doesnt seem like something that innocent people would do.

fredie

fredie

Banned User
Sep 28, 2008
The 6 month offer would be very tempting

This is the 2011 sharks squad

Adam Cuthbertson, Albert Kelly, Andrew Clayton, Anthony Tupou, Ben Pomeroy, Blake Ferguson, Broderick Wright., Colin Best, Cronulla Sharks, Dean Collis, Grant Millington, Isaac Gordon, Jason Bukuya, Jeremy Smith, John Morris, John Williams, Johnny Mannah, Josh Cordoba, Josh Lewis, Kade Snowden, Kose Lelei, Kyle O’Donnell, Lancen Joudo, Luke Covell, Luke Douglas, Luke Harlen, Matt Parata, Matthew Wright, Nathan Gardener, Nathan Stapleton, NRL, Paul Aiton, paul gallen, Reece Williams, Ricky Leutele, Rugby League, Ryan Tongia, Scott Porter, Siosaia Vave, Stewart Mills, Stuart Flanagan, Taulima Tautai, Tim Smith, Trent Barrett, Trent Grubb, Wade Graham

Some of these players are at other clubs now

Fresh reports are 30 players from the 6 clubs reported earlier are on the 6 month- or 2 year bann list , Manly eagles are involvedi in big trouble

Last edited:
Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
Right, someone get me the best and most illegal drugs and access to Manly's water cooler.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
i dont think thats how it works.

if a trainer gives them a tablet and says 'this is panadol' and the player takes it and it turns out to be a horse tranquilizer, thats on you. if your trainer puts a drug into your water bottle without you even knowing, thats not on you.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
if your trainer puts a drug into your water bottle without you even knowing, thats not on you.

But they couldn't prove it was from the water bottle.

Wouldn't the players be a bit wary if given supplement & asked to sign a waiver before taking it.

Surely they're not that dumb for alarm bells to ring, & thinking that's strange.

I don't know if it still happens, but several years ago all players were given a card with If in doubt, check it out & it had the ASADA phone number to call.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
i dont think thats how it works.

if a trainer gives them a tablet and says 'this is panadol' and the player takes it and it turns out to be a horse tranquilizer, thats on you. if your trainer puts a drug into your water bottle without you even knowing, thats not on you.

If the trainer, the club or its doctors were negligent in their advice to the players about whether a substance was legitimate, it is not fair at all to punish the players, unless they contributed to the negligence by failing to make enquiries that a reasonable athlete of the same life experience and intelligence would have made.

If the players get sanctioned by the ADASA because it's a strict liability regime (which is what AP is saying) then you can bet your arse they'll sue the pants off the club and the staff who administered the drugs to them (if it's Dank, can't see how he won't come out of this bankrupt). Great article in the Australian Sports section today about possible causes of action.

Still, I stand by that ADASA is a toothless tiger here without any direct evidence (plenty of circumstantial evidence perhaps), who is playing a game of brinksmanship by offering the 6 month suspension deal, simply to save face (for any number of motivations - in my view because it's an election year and the decision makers in ADASA are looking at a bullett if they got this wrong).

If the police think someone has committed an offence, do you see them offering a reduced sentence before even charging the person?

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
But they couldn't prove it was from the water bottle.

Wouldn't the players be a bit wary if given supplement & asked to sign a waiver before taking it.

Surely they're not that dumb for alarm bells to ring, & thinking that's strange.

I don't know if it still happens, but several years ago all players were given a card with If in doubt, check it out & it had the ASADA phone number to call.

Well apparently Melbourne players thought it was normal to sign 2 contracts...

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
Well apparently Melbourne players thought it was normal to sign 2 contracts...
i know youre only trolling, but you do realise that a player like cameron smith or billy slater would be signing much more than 2 things when signing a new deal, dont you? their manager, who they hire to take care of these things, would just bring in a big pile of paperwork and point and say 'sign here, and now here, and here, and here....'. hell, i signed more than 1 document for my job, and im not getting any third party payments! each third party deal would require a signature or 2, so when youre a player of their level and getting MULTIPLE third party deals, youd do lots of signing.

im not happy about this sharks thing now - i have like 4 players in my fantasy league team who played for the sharks in 2011 lol. :(

Last edited:
Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
AP

Billy Slater was the only player not to sign the 2nd contract & at the time Cameron Smith was his own manager.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
AP

Billy Slater was the only player not to sign the 2nd contract & at the time Cameron Smith was his own manager.
already been over this - no, cameron smith wasnt his own manager at the time of that deal being negotiated/signed. anyway off topic so no more from me.

any more news on the cronulla stuff, or are they gonna keep quiet until after the games have been played?

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
It's not only that it's fairly common among other workplaces AP, but then you have to factor in all the 3rd party arrangements.

Price allegedly signed 3 contracts with the Warriors. Thought they were all fine but as it turns out one of them was bodgy which is why they were deducted 4 points in 2006 and fined all that cash (pretty lenient punishment if you ask me but anywho).

Back on Cronulla, doubt we'll hear anything until next week. Really just want to get it over and done with.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Anyone signing papers without reading them is a moron, and should be made accountable for their content anyway!

Now I know that rugby league players in general may not be the smartest cookies, but Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk don't come across as dumb, or dumber than Slater, who was smart enough not to sign a second contract. Any excuse in that flavor is the biggest copout.

Anyone taking tablets or even worse, injections, without querying what they are being given is exactly the same... a moron! The only problem here is whether the physician or therapist tell them the truth, which would basically equal assault or even grievous bodily harm.

Anyway, to be really effective, the performance enhancement drugs which are at the basis of the accusations cannot be administered orally, so the slipping something in their drinks is also a copout excuse.

This is in no way excusing the way the Govt and ASADA are handling this matter btw!

Last edited:
Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
Anyone signing papers without reading them is a moron, and should be made accountable for their content anyway!

Now I know that rugby league players in general may not be the smartest cookies, but Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk don't come across as dumb, or dumber than Slater, who was smart enough not to sign a second contract. Any excuse in that flavor is the biggest copout.

Anyone taking tablets or even worse, injections, without querying what they are being given is exactly the same... a moron! The only problem here is whether the physician or therapist tell them the truth, which would basically equal assault or even grievous bodily harm.
disagree on all counts.

if my qualified accountant, who i pay to do my tax return, does my tax return and says "sign here", ill sign there. if i go to the doctors and say ive got a headache and they give me a checkover and give me tablets to take, ill take them.

whats the point in having these professionals do their job that theyre paid to do if youre going to ignore what they say and do it all yourself anyway?

if the team nutritionist is saying to eat this and that and take these vitamins, why wouldnt the players trust them?

Unread

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Foordy
  • Fozz
  • Dash
  • Mister Wright
  • Behold
  • Broncorob
  • leon.bott
  • Skyblues87
  • Jedhead
  • I bleed Maroon
  • bb_gun
  • Waynesaurus
  • FACTHUNT
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.