Greg Inglis signing thread.

Re: Greg Inglis walks away from...

Foordy said:
I just heard that Inglis' manager will be on Monday night Football after the game (on triple M)

Gainey will be on after the break

Gainey said:

The Broncos offer was well short of what they expected and Inglis couldn't for go that kind of money, even with third party agreements the Broncos would have been well short. and Inglis will be staying at Melbourne (but you never know what is around the corner). and the decision needed to be made quickly.

he also said that from his discussions with Melbourne that the Storm beleive that they can now retain their big four and release 4-6 players in the middle tier money level and that would solve their problem.

I still think the Storm are kidding themselves. They will lose Inglis and he will play for the Broncos. So the Storm can suck eggs.

Hope you're right Beads

Storm are still shirty that we got Folau, they would love to block us getting Inglis

It's actually quite stupid of the Storm to try and retain their 'big 4' over their youngsters IMO.

They will be forced to let go of promising youngsters like Matt Duffie, Dane Neilsen, Gareth Widdop etc. No player should be worth more than 4 others IMO, and the Storm are essentially sending a message to their current roster, and any players looking at signing for the Storm down the track, that all other players aren't as important as their 'big 4'.

It's a very dangerous decision to be making IMO. The NRL must step in and force them to offload at least 1 of them. It's ridiculous to think these players can be so far over the cap, yet allowed to stay once everything has boiled over.

That said, all of this might be irrelevant in the short term. Once the NRL release the details of the salary cap rorts those involved may not be allowed to play in 2011 anyway.

Clintos said:
It's actually quite stupid of the Storm to try and retain their 'big 4' over their youngsters IMO.

They will be forced to let go of promising youngsters like Matt Duffie, Dane Neilsen, Gareth Widdop etc. No player should be worth more than 4 others IMO, and the Storm are essentially sending a message to their current roster, and any players looking at signing for the Storm down the track, that all other players aren't as important as their 'big 4'.

It's a very dangerous decision to be making IMO. The NRL must step in and force them to offload at least 1 of them. It's ridiculous to think these players can be so far over the cap, yet allowed to stay once everything has boiled over.

That said, all of this might be irrelevant in the short term. Once the NRL release the details of the salary cap rorts those involved may not be allowed to play in 2011 anyway.

Agreed. It doesn't sit well with me either. Although it may be true that it is the players decision to take less money - the fact is they WOULD have been on less money before if they stayed so it is just 'evening' out if you know what I mean... nevertheless I personally think it would be unfair.

The bottom line is whether it is mathematically correct or not - they SHOULD be 'forced' to let at least one go IMHO.

Inglis probably has no intention of leaving Melbourne, unless he gets near his current contract.

I'd rather the Broncos look at retaining their young talent than spending a fortune to get Inglis to the club.

I don't think anyone bar a 6, 7 or perhaps 9 is worth the sort of money Inglis is commanding (and Inglis isn't a 6).

Surely we have bigger positional concerns than buying an over paid centre.

Don't get me wrong, on his day, Inglis can be a game breaker, but his days seems a little too inconsistent. This reminds me a lot of the Folau signing. I don't think that has lived up to the hype.

Agree Oxy. The Broncos made him a VERY good offer and he (apparently, according to Gainey) wasn't happy with it. Whatever.

We'll wait until the Storm have to release Nielsen and Duffie and get one of them for half the cost, and still retain our young talent!

Coxy said:
Agree Oxy. The Broncos made him a VERY good offer and he (apparently, according to Gainey) wasn't happy with it. Whatever.

We'll wait until the Storm have to release Nielsen and Duffie and get one of them for half the cost, and still retain our young talent!

I agree with you guys. As much as i would of loved seeing Inglis in a Broncos jersey next year, i would be pissed if we did fold and pay the huge asking price he wanted then have no room in the cap to secure our youngsters. I really dont want another 2008 all over again!!!

I though the Storm rejected the offer but now the media is saying Inglis rejected the offer??? I think it is all BS. Inglis approached the Broncos we offered him 500k plus all up I doubt he would say no.

Bucking Beads said:
I though the Storm rejected the offer but now the media is saying Inglis rejected the offer??? I think it is all BS. Inglis approached the Broncos we offered him 500k plus all up I doubt he would say no.

So you are saying we offered him 500K+ or is that what you assume we offered him? I'm not sure from your post......

Bruno said that Inglis would have to take a pay cut to come to the Broncos. I am not sure how much Inglis was on at the Storm but come tomoz we will find out. My guess is if the Storm were going to be over 1.5mil over the cap inglis would of been on a lot more the 600k a year.

This means Inglis would of had to taken a huge pay cut my guess is in the 200k-300k a year range to come to the Broncos(only guessing though). If this is the case my bet is Inglis kncoked it back. His manager said on the radio last night the Broncos offer was nowhere near what he wanted didnt he?

Donny said:
Bucking Beads said:

So you are saying we offered him 500K+ or is that what you assume we offered him? I'm not sure from your post......

Bruno said that Inglis would have to take a pay cut to come to the Broncos. I am not sure how much Inglis was on at the Storm but come tomoz we will find out. My guess is if the Storm were going to be over 1.5mil over the cap inglis would of been on a lot more the 600k a year.

This means Inglis would of had to taken a huge pay cut my guess is in the 200k-300k a year range to come to the Broncos(only guessing though). If this is the case my bet is Inglis kncoked it back. His manager said on the radio last night the Broncos offer was nowhere near what he wanted didnt he?

Rumours of 450k + endorsments was what I heard. They are kidding if they think Inglis is worth 600k in this competition right now. I think the Storm have over paid for there big 4 IMO. Obviously if the Salary cap was bigger it is ok to pay them 600k.

So to get things into perspective, the Storm want to retain their big 4 - Smith, Slater, Inglis, Cronk. The NRL have apparently closed a loophole after the last major salary cap scandal (Bulldogs) which saw star players simply taking a pay cut to remain at the club, so to retain their star players, the Storm will need to pay them the salary they were recieving while the club was breaching the cap.

It is said that Inglis earns about 600k, surely at least Slater and Smith are on a similar wage? So even excluding whatever Cronk is on, three players on 600k comes to 1.8 million, leaving 2.3 million for 22 players averaging out at about 105k. Of course this is all merely speculation but from what has been reported, the figures would be close.

IMO the storm should be looking to retain, at most, 2 of the big four and building a team around them. Any more than 2 players on the money that Inglis is apparently getting seems impracticle to me, so surely, they MUST have to let go some of their superstars.

Scotty said:
So to get things into perspective, the Storm want to retain their big 4 - Smith, Slater, Inglis, Cronk. The NRL have apparently closed a loophole after the last major salary cap scandal (Bulldogs) which saw star players simply taking a pay cut to remain at the club, so to retain their star players, the Storm will need to pay them the salary they were recieving while the club was breaching the cap.

It is said that Inglis earns about 600k, surely at least Slater and Smith are on a similar wage? So even excluding whatever Cronk is on, three players on 600k comes to 1.8 million, leaving 2.3 million for 22 players averaging out at about 105k. Of course this is all merely speculation but from what has been reported, the figures would be close.

IMO the storm should be looking to retain, at most, 2 of the big four and building a team around them. Any more than 2 players on the money that Inglis is apparently getting seems impracticle to me, so surely, they MUST have to let go some of their superstars.

They're not interested in building a team. It's now a matter of principle for them. They developed the "Big 4" into the superstars they are, and they should be able to retain them and pay them whatever they want. **** the rules so to speak.

The thing is, BOO FUCKING HOO, look at the players the Broncos produced from teenagers to Test players and had to let them go for salary cap reasons! They're not the only ones either.

I am tired of the Storm's defiant attitude, and I wish the NRL had the balls to stand up to them and tell them they will only register 2 of the big 4's contracts for 2011 and only for the amounts they were actually paying them.

Restraint of trade etc bullshit aside, the NRL has to take a stand here.

Scotty said:

IMO if they were going to let go two of the four they would of kept Finch and got rid of Cronk and Inglis. But Finch is leaving so i am guessing they will be hoping to keep at least three of them. I would rank the four like this 1 being the most important
1. Smith - He is the captain and offers a lot of leadership
2. Slater - best player in the world at the moment or in the top 2 or 3
3. Cronk - He is the link between Slater and Smith. They need him now that Finch is leaving
4. Inglis - Great player but no the most important of the 4.

Problem being is this. The storm were going to be 1.5mil+ (apparently) over the cap next year. If they let Inglis go that still leaves at the very best for them 800k over the cap. They will have to let go some of their better fowards. ie Lima & Hoffman are already going to ESL according to another post, Tandy and Tolman are gone. Blair, sigamanu, White are the only ones left in the quality department.

So this is only guessing but you would assume that Finch+Ingliss+Hoffman+Lima+Tolman+Tandy salary's might be enough to scrap under the cap. I dobut it but they may get lucky

Problem is this for the Storm. They have payed all their better players massive over becuase of the unlimited salary cap they were running. These same players are now going to have to take a 100k-300k pay cut or leave the club where they will still have to take massive pay cuts. They wont be happy little vegemites.

I think thats the problem was with Ingliss yesterday. He found out his actuall NRL worth not the unlimited salary cap worth that he has been payed for the past 4 years!!!!!! Truth hurts Greg!!!!

Problem is letting those players go won't fix it. They still need to replace them to make up the Top25.

Active Now

• Payneinthehaas
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Maddy
  • BroncsNBundy
  • theshed
  • Dexter
  • jarro65
  • jd87
  • davidp
  • simplythebest
  • heartly87
  • Allo
  • porouian
  • Confidor
  • ostin86
  • Howie
  • FACTHUNT
  • broncsgoat
  • Hoof Hearted
... and 26 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.