Greg Inglis signing thread.

Re: Greg Inglis walks away from...

Well even I sometimes think are we?

I mean Lockyer, Hodges, Inglis, Hannant are all absolute top line players on top dollar just like the Melbourne big 4. 4 of those players are AUS reps(well Hodges may or may not be any more but he was a superstar at the time of his contract).

Then we have guys like Thaiday(soon to be on huge contract), Wallace, Parker, Tronc, Te'o, Anderson, Kenny, etc. I'm not saying we are but it's easy to see why some people might think we are. I don't think we are but I do sometimes question it.

After all Ian Schubert is absolutely useless and the entire NRL administration are a hopeless bunch with no idea. Bulldogs were caught after a tip off from the media and Melbourne were caught from a disgruntled whistle blower and Warriors if I recall correctly basically self confessed. If someone never got angry at Melbourne they would never have been caught and in the past 4 salary cap audit/yearly reviews they've come out clean as a whistle. It just goes to show how useless Schubert is and why he should have been sacked 5 years ago.

All that being said I don't believe we are because most of our players we nurture ourselves who become starts quickly but are still on junior contracts so it seems like we have so many stars and the quality of players we have lost in past seasons to me indicates we are definitely under the cap.

yes we do have those big stars but we also don't really have the mid range stars the other clubs do... Hoffman, Yow Yeh, Glenn, Gillett, Hunt, McCullough, Winterstein, McGuire all would be on moderate incomes...

plus we would be losing Folau, Sims, Michaels, Setu, Winterstein. for next season.

I also recall reading that when Hodges re-signed for us it was on about 300-350k which is certainly not over the top for him.

Basically what Foordy said

The only people i would think are on better then average contracts atm are Lockyer, Hodges, Folau and maybe Parker.

Lost:
In the past year we have lost and will lose Folau ($400k youd assume), Hunt (was going to be offered about the same as folau), Clinton(apparently was being payed massive overs), Michaels, Sims, Setu, Winterstein, Pj Marsh. Thats a shit load of cap space.

Gained:
Fingers crossed Inglis, Hannant and Kemp.

Upgraded/secured:
Hoffman, Yow Yeh, Gillet, Teo, Tronc, Dodds.

The only person i would assume we will need to upgrade significantly is Thaiday. I think the Broncos will know this so i am hoping they are planning for it.

The Storm:
They had Cronk, Inglis, Smith, Slater. They also had a lot of other rep players sourounding thier big 4. White, Manu, Blair, Hoffman, Lima, Quinn.

Sure we have four or five high profile players but the rest are considered average 1st graders. The storm had four high profile players sourounded by another 6 or 7 rep players. Thats the difference.

broncospwn before you go blaming everything on Ian Schubert personally you might like to consider that he has a salary cap audit department of ONE - him. He is it (with other occassionally contracted to come in and help if/when he discovers something a bit fishy) to audit and monitor all 16 clubs. If the NRL are actually serious about the salary cap they need to spend some money and employ some more people to help Schubert out on a full time basis.

Plus there's legalities. Not like they can check players' bank accounts and search club and CEO home premises for salary cap investigations. They basically are limited to whatever they're allowed to see.

Donny said:
Basically what Foordy said

The only people i would think are on better then average contracts atm are Lockyer, Hodges, Folau and maybe Parker.

Lost:
In the past year we have lost and will lose Folau ($400k youd assume), Hunt (was going to be offered about the same as folau), Clinton(apparently was being payed massive overs), Michaels, Sims, Setu, Winterstein, Pj Marsh. Thats a shit load of cap space.

Gained:
Fingers crossed Inglis, Hannant and Kemp.

Upgraded/secured:
Hoffman, Yow Yeh, Gillet, Teo, Tronc, Dodds.

The only person i would assume we will need to upgrade significantly is Thaiday. I think the Broncos will know this so i am hoping they are planning for it.

The Storm:
They had Cronk, Inglis, Smith, Slater. They also had a lot of other rep players sourounding thier big 4. White, Manu, Blair, Hoffman, Lima, Quinn.

Sure we have four or five high profile players but the rest are considered average 1st graders. The storm had four high profile players sourounded by another 6 or 7 rep players. Thats the difference.

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember the last time Parker came up for contract renewal he said he'd take less than he could get at other clubs to stay at the Broncos and he wants to be a Bronco for life.

Another interesting tidbit:

The Daily Telegraph has learned that Inglis phoned Broncos centre and good mate Justin Hodges at the height of the AFL's raid on Brisbane ace Israel Folau to gauge the possibility of joining the club.
"Greg rang me two months ago when Izzy was going through all the AFL stuff and he asked what Izzy was doing," he said. "GI said he was pretty keen on coming up. Izzy then made the decision to go to AFL so that makes it easier for GI to get up here."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 5893657549

Good one schmix, now we're going to have to listen to broncospwn wax lyrical about Hodges some more! :mrgreen:

It is interesting to hear though. That article the other day said he was going to 'sign' today (Monday), so I am waiting with baited breath for the announcement. 8-)

Once again this proves how valuable the great one is to our club. Even when he's not playing the Broncos are still benefiting from his undeniable awesomeness. Justin Hodges will tear it up with Inglis next year :D

<-------- Look here for awesome.

Coxy said:
The thing is, BOO **** HOO, look at the players the Broncos produced from teenagers to Test players and had to let them go for salary cap reasons! They're not the only ones either.

I am tired of the Storm's defiant attitude, and I wish the NRL had the balls to stand up to them and tell them they will only register 2 of the big 4's contracts for 2011 and only for the amounts they were actually paying them.

Damn right - refer to my 'STORM IS PISSING ME OFF THREAD'.

It does irk me the NRL have suddenly made moves after this whole Storm BS. Ummm... HELLLLO!??!?!
Tuquiri anyone????
Sailor anyone???
To this day I still think RL would have been different if they stayed. More so Lote I suppose but man this sort of shite has been happening for YEARS and suddenly it matters when it happens to the STORM? WTF?

No one is denying the current cap sucks but FFS - do the crime - do the time!

schmix said:
Another interesting tidbit:

The Daily Telegraph has learned that Inglis phoned Broncos centre and good mate Justin Hodges at the height of the AFL's raid on Brisbane ace Israel Folau to gauge the possibility of joining the club.
"Greg rang me two months ago when Izzy was going through all the AFL stuff and he asked what Izzy was doing," he said. "GI said he was pretty keen on coming up. Izzy then made the decision to go to AFL so that makes it easier for GI to get up here."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 5893657549

"Greg rang me about two months ago when Izzy was going through all the AFL stuff and he asked what Izzy was doing," Hodges said.

"GI (Inglis) said he was pretty keen on coming up. Izzy then made the decision to go to AFL so that makes it easier for GI to get up here. He thought it would be good for him to come up here and play with Locky and all the big name players. It will be a different experience from Melbourne so I'm sure he'll enjoy it.

"I hope he comes. I don't understand the whole Storm situation and how his contract would work, but if the Broncos can work it out I'm pretty sure he will be coming up here."

BTW, that's exactly what I'd heard when I mentioned the prospect of Inglis and Slater coming north months ago.

They always whinge and whine when the Broncos get someone.

FFS, look at our squad in 2010. Now take out Folau. Do they seriously not think we can afford Hannant and Inglis?

The thing none of the idiots out there seem to understand is that the Broncos had about $300K or so unspent under the cap THIS YEAR.

And then, before the season even started, PJ Marsh retired. Essentially what he was on went to Shane Tronc. We still had that room under the cap for this year.

And then lost Folau. LOLZ. Seriously, the Broncos were always going to have the cash for a couple of big ticket items, and the GI and Bundy Bear toys were on sale...who wouldn't pick them up? Wonder if we got the extended warranty?

Coxy said:
The thing none of the idiots out there seem to understand is that the Broncos had about $300K or so unspent under the cap THIS YEAR.

And then, before the season even started, PJ Marsh retired. Essentially what he was on went to Shane Tronc. We still had that room under the cap for this year.

And then lost Folau. LOLZ. Seriously, the Broncos were always going to have the cash for a couple of big ticket items, and the GI and Bundy Bear toys were on sale...who wouldn't pick them up? Wonder if we got the extended warranty?

Eh its the Broncos we always rort the cap right?

You really have to laugh at the southern whingers.

Do they really think the NRL won't be all over GI's contract like a fly on a turd ??

There's no way in hell they'd approve the move unless they were 100% sure we could afford him fairly and squarely.

Really hope there is some confirmation of the Broncos signing Inglis today. Going totally off topic here but has anyone who likes a bit of a punt seen the latest Betfair odds for the 2010 Premiership. Broncos are now Second favourites to win the flag :mrgreen:

Donny said:
Really hope there is some confirmation of the Broncos signing Inglis today. Going totally off topic here but has anyone who likes a bit of a punt seen the latest Betfair odds for the 2010 Premiership. Broncos are now Second favourites to win the flag :mrgreen:

But the NRL don't give out flags to premiers. We give out a trophy and rings...

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Scorchie
  • Battler
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.