NEWS Haas gets pay bump, long term deal in holding pattern

News LTD is reporting the Broncos board will formally approve a 3 year extension to Payne Haas' existing contract to tie him up for another 6 years. Money not mentioned, but there is talk of grooming him for future captaincy. The deal appears to be done, but won't be formally announced until after the season. It will be the longest contract in the Broncos' 33 year history.

Walters:

“Payne is a natural leader, not so much with his words but his actions. He is never far off the ball whether it’s attack or defence. When you are building a premiership team, you need middle forwards like Payne Haas. The Storm have Jesse Bromwich. The Roosters have Jared Waerea-Hargreaves. Every top team has a dominant prop."

“Payne is a remarkable forward, he has a great work ethic. He wants to win at all costs and that’s what we need throughout the whole club.”

Ikin:

“Payne is a special player. He is a powerhouse, he leads from the front on the field in one of the toughest positions you can play in a game. He brings his best to every training session and every match. He is world class. He is the guy others in the club look to. He does it with his leadership and it’s based on actions. He performs with great humility."

“Payne has this view on the world where he is committed to doing things for others, he is very cognisant of the fact he is part of a team. As single-minded as you need to be to succeed in the front row, Payne has this great affinity for his teammates and they really recognise that. It is innate in Payne. He is leading for others. It‘s not just all about him. He has some magnificent traits as a leader.”

Greg Alexander:

“Having seen him in the NSW set-up, I’ve seen Payne’s attitude. When you sign someone for a long time, you have to consider will they handle things emotionally and does it matter how much they are paid from year to year? The player’s performances would have to stay consistent and I see that in Payne. It wouldn’t matter how much he was paid or how long for, I know Payne would do the job week in, week out.”

McHunt

In breaking news on Friday morning, I can confirm Payne was having coffee with Flegler and Milford at ’The Ground’ out in the sun on the benches, whilst Bomber Badel was inside the café chattering away furiously with someone I didn’t recognise.

I have no idea how this relates to this thread at all apart from Haas being there, but you heard it here first. Remember that!

WOW. So they drink coffee. umm Milford is leaving, so does that mean Payne is as well. lol.

ZOMG: Flegler could reneg.

Breaths in, Breaths out, Breaths in, Breaths out.

A supreme athlete like Haas needs to explore all his options moneymaking wise before he is on the wrong side of 30 and his body is weary from playing a physical sport all his life.

If that means he joins another club or another code, then so be it. You only live once and you can't just limit yourself when you only have a ten year window.

As we have seen in the past, RL is a mere stepping stone for the elite athletes and whilst I hope he doesn't follow in the footsteps of SBW, Wendell, Izzy etc., I certainly wouldn't be surprised if he broadens his horizons one day.

Yeah but the flipside there are players who have taken a deal for more money from another club and its gone pear shaped (ala Chris Sandow). And in hindsight they would have been better to stay at the one club and established themselves. And they would have made more money in the long run having a longer productive career. That's why sometimes it can be shortsighted to chop and change clubs at a whim for the biggest dollar.

If Payne Hass is looking to upgrade the current three year deal he has left at the Broncos. The club should be a firm No. The problem with these scenarios is the same players who want a upgrade on their existing deals are the same players who won't downgrade their deals and hand the money back if they don't perform ala Anthony Milford.

Seriously Kaylyn Ponga pulled this crap at the Knights. Even though the Knights were willing to risk a salary when he originally signed that was higher then market value when Ponga was still relatively untested at the Cowboys. Haas is a great talent but the club still sits at 2nd last on the ladder. If this is Haas's problem as its been reported then tough.

Haas is reportedly also at odds with Brisbane's hierarchy and it appears his salary could be at the heart of the problem.

Haas was paid, $110,000 in 2018; $240,000 in 2019 (when he first played Origin); $450,000 in 2020; and was scheduled to receive $550,000 in 2021.

His salary this year is less than half of what David Fifita is on at the Titans. Haas was signed for less than Thomas Flegler, while Matt Lodge is on $875,000.

Haas would definitely attract offers of $1 million a season but under his current Broncos contract extension, which runs until 2024, he still wouldn't hit the $1million-a-year mark.

In 2022, he would be on $750,000; in 2023, he would reach $800,000; and in 2024, he would make $850,000.

If he wants to stay he will. Just hope we have contingencies in place should he decide to move on. I know he is under contract for the next few years but lets not get caught holding our dicks like we did with Fifita.

I'm not going to believe anything Weidler is peddling.

But hypothetically if Haas wants an upgrade on the remaining 3 years, sure, he deserves an extra 50k a year as a thank you for being an outstanding player. Any more than that, he has to sign an extension or it's a no.

In any case, there's no point getting to worried about this, this is partly the club and Haas' management playing games.

Remember the club initially went with a fake 10 year offer that the "board knocked back", obviously a load of crap and a negotiating tactic, both sides are playing a game.

There's 3 years left, no rush to pen an extension.

How is SBW a top tier cockhead?

Any grounds for your claim? He's a 10/10 professional on and off the field and is an absolutely awesome role model for Haas.
We forgetting what he did with the Bulldogs? Not very professional at all. Not a good influence on players we are supposed to want at the club. Also ***** in toilets the grot. Less of a cockhead these days I guess, but when compared to Mundine who doesn't look good.

The journos are reading this & making up shit as we type.

Also don't forget if Haas leaves, I was the one that heard about it first. If he re-signs, forget what I posted.

Umm, anyone good are signatures. Asking for a friend.

I hope he doesnt go all Ryan Matterson on us. He signed a contract on massive overs at the time and he was happy to take the money before he proved anything. Now he is more than likely not getting what he is worth, but thats not our fault. I think we should try to upgrade him and extend him as @Kimlo said or we leave him as he is. I'm truly hoping we start making the tough but right decisions with our players and their contracts even if we lose a few we dont want to lose.

I'm not going to believe anything Weidler is peddling.

But hypothetically if Haas wants an upgrade on the remaining 3 years, sure, he deserves an extra 50k a year as a thank you for being an outstanding player. Any more than that, he has to sign an extension or it's a no.

In any case, there's no point getting to worried about this, this is partly the club and Haas' management playing games.

Remember the club initially went with a fake 10 year offer that the "board knocked back", obviously a load of crap and a negotiating tactic, both sides are playing a game.

There's 3 years left, no rush to pen an extension.

I can't remember where I read it but I think when Dave Donaghy came on board. I read the club was no longer going to tolerate 'playing games'. After some of the sagas that have drawn out with players and their managers. I don't imagine there there will be alot of tolerance with Payne Haas on this front.

If Paynes not happy we've got a couple years before anybody can sign him to make him happy. Alot of will come down to winning games and keeping the squad together. Payne may be unhappy about his good mates TPJ and Fifita leaving but in a year he'll form new brothers in the team.
Get Petero and Parker in Paynes ear not SBW and there will be less to worry about

I can't remember where I read it but I think when Dave Donaghy came on board. I read the club was no longer going to tolerate 'playing games'. After some of the sagas that have drawn out with players and their managers. I don't imagine there there will be alot of tolerance with Payne Haas on this front.

Agree.

Might be why Haas wants to punt his manager, as he was playing games & Haas may not want to act that way.

I hope he doesnt go all Ryan Matterson on us. He signed a contract on massive overs at the time and he was happy to take the money before he proved anything. Now he is more than likely not getting what he is worth, but thats not our fault. I think we should try to upgrade him and extend him as @Kimlo said or we leave him as he is. I'm truly hoping we start making the tough but right decisions with our players and their contracts even if we lose a few we dont want to lose.

The problem is the term 'upgrade' gets used too loosely. If Payne Haas wants an upgrade on the extension then fine the club can make an offer if willing. But if Haas wants a upgrade on the years that he already has signed for the club shouldn't budge.

It can also effect your salary cap as you have already planned for players you have signed and budgeted for next season. I agree about 'leaving him' if they can't come to an agreement. He has a contract for another further three years. Alot can happen in that time. I just don't see the rationale in forcing the issue.

If someone isn’t happy their on field performance and effort nearly always reflects that. Haas is not playing like someone that isn’t happy.
Coates is a prime example you knew he already had signed elsewhere before it was announced just by his reactions to scoring a try

We forgetting what he did with the Bulldogs? Not very professional at all. Not a good influence on players we are supposed to want at the club. Also ***** in toilets the grot. Less of a cockhead these days I guess, but when compared to Mundine who doesn't look good.
It's hard to forget but he's not the man he was back then. I'm a strong believer in people changing, he's been nothing but an absolute gem of a human since he sorted his life out over a decade ago now and he never did anything illegal, just dumb kid things.

You can hold a grudge with the best of them if that still comes into your calculations. I don't have any opinions on Nasser really, I think he's done an amazing job for his clients, I really don't buy into the whole managers being scums thing, it's neither here nor there for me. If a club is smart and they're managed well, player managers won't matter. That being said, I can totally see why people think they're scum of the earth and I can't argue against it really. Fair enough.

The problem is the term 'upgrade' gets used too loosely. If Payne Haas wants an upgrade on the extension then fine the club can make an offer if willing. But if Haas wants a upgrade on the years that he already has signed for the club shouldn't budge.

It can also effect your salary cap as you have already planned for players you have signed and budgeted for next season. I agree about 'leaving him' if they can't come to an agreement. He has a contract for another further three years. Alot can happen in that time. I just don't see the rationale in forcing the issue.
I can see both arguments but I don't agree. If I'm running a business and my employee is absolutely outstanding and performs well beyond their pay scale, I'd happily upgrade them. It builds good will, not by heaps though, if they want a big upgrade there's got to be something in it for the club too. Big upgrade, sign an extension so both parties are happy.

But throwing him an extra 50k a year when we don't have to, is a pretty good way to make sure he's happy for the final years and performs his best. Call it a good business decision if you will.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.