Hodges may retire at the end of this year

Kahu hasn't been able to prove a thing really. To suggest he has is pre-mature. He can catch a ball under pressure and can find the line when needed. A quality shared by the majority of players in his positions.

You're basically wanting to drop a brand new halves combination due to them not gelling well together yet, when their fullback has been different every few weeks. They need time.

It's the age old debate though. They look good in NYC or Qcup, but plenty of these "superstars" turn into mediocre rubbish. The last player I think that got the BHQ treatment was Corey Norman, you know, the next Darren Lockyer? Lol.

With Hunt not being an organiser, I can't cop that, but it's not like his tenure in the Broncos up until this year has called for that, so again, give him time.

I have to put my hand up for this one, I watched a bit of Norman coming through the ranks and thought he had something special, but I did not realise he was a pea heart.

It's not like Norman isn't talented, He wilts under pressure is all.

Hasn't the kid himself said he's a 7? I'm pretty sure he has.

People are so happy to **** with our halves, it's absolutely mind boggling. All to try and make a spot available for some player who 3 people have seen play, and will probably turn out to be another useless hack of a player come first grade. BHQ certainly picks more useless nuffies than they do decent players.

Oh, move Milford to fullback, because that's going to happen!

My thoughts exactly.

This whole bloody thread:

SoBJ4AT.jpg

He's better at fullback than left right out when we realise he hasn't become the half we need. <_<

Milford has been developing in the halves nicely and was great last game. No offence mate but you believe(d) that Peter Wallace is/was the half we need(ed), so...

Hodges is not the type of player who comes around too often, clubs are very lucky when they have a Hodges/Inglis/Lyon/Gasnier on the books. Whoever replaces him will be bog standard. Copley, Kahu and Reed are all solid but not spectacular so unless we sign someone we'll be waiting a while for another game breaker in the centres.

Obviously I will happily eat my words if a young fella steps up to the plate, but I don't see it happening.

Even though Milford is developing, he and Hunt don't strike me as being overly complementary. To me both are more off the cuff type of players and haven't exhibited a whole of control the way a Cronk or Reynolds can. Boyd helps in attack, but also fails to bring a kicking game or the sort of control that someone like Moylan can offer.

Hodgo deserves his payday. I'd actually prefer he go overseas instead of ending his career, as superstars go he's not been rewarded like a superstar of the modern age. His pay packet peaked in the late '00s, at about $400k, since then it's declined as he's been on the field less & less. IIRC his Roosters deal was about $250k, which is awesome for a relative rookie but not enough to set himself up.

When you look at a semi-decent player getting $500-$600k, and big names getting $800k to $1 mill, he was 6 or 7 years too early to enjoy this new broadcast paypacket. He can probably name his price in Europe.

If he gets through this season without an injury and performs well enough for Queensland I believe he can still go around for another year. Whatever happens he has been a great servant for the Broncos and deserves all the praise he gets.

As for the rest if this thread, what the ****. There's only one thing the sensible adult (me) in the room can do to sort this out. Add yourselves to the below list:

The MILFORD AND HUNT WILL DO FINE IN THE HALVES group:
Morkel

The ASH TAYLOR NEEDS TO BE PLAYED IN THE HALVES SO HE STAYS A BRONCO group:

The winning group will be determined in 2020. Those whose names are in the winning list get to brag about their most awesome choice and how clever they are. And a share in ten Internet Points.

You could count on Hodgo to get the better of almost all the centres put up against him. He will be sorely missed

As for the rest if this thread, what the ****. There's only one thing the sensible adult (me) in the room can do to sort this out. Add yourselves to the below list:

Morkel

The winning group will be determined in 2020. Those whose names are in the winning list get to brag about their most awesome choice and how clever they are. And a share in ten Internet Points.

I don't think we will find out with most of the talk around that Taylor will being moved on at some stage

Morkel

I think there is a 3rd group and it is the group i'm in:

THE BRONCOS SHOULD ALWAYS STRIVE TO BE THE BEST ... AND THE BEST OPTION FOR THE BRONCOS IS TO HAVE MILFORD, HUNT AND TAYLOR IN THE SPINE.

​IMO, out of those three players, the best option for fullback is Milford

Hodges is one of my favourite players ever, on terms with the great Darren Lockyer, I can't say enough how much I love him playing for us, I'm going to be devastated when he retires, he's the heart and soul of this team, and time and time again proved doubters wrong.

He was the reason for our resurgence in 2006 all the way to the premiership, and he's still incredibly important to our chances 9 years later. Year after year, when we've needed magic he's been the one to provide it, post Lockyer he was regularly our shining hope to pull a victory at the death, or to put on the brilliant play to score a crucial try.

Sure we have juniors, but no one at our club can replace Hodges and offer what he does. If he wasn't so injury prone, at fullback he could've arguably been amongst the best ever to lace on a boot, at centre, he's still one of the best ever.

Think of a dream Broncos 13, he'd be in the starting line up every time. He's a once in a generation player, who has the smarts, awareness, passion and skill that others will only ever dream of.

I'm so happy he got the captaincy, and nothing would make me happier to see him lead us to a premiership as captain, this year or next.

Onya Hodgo!

THE BRONCOS SHOULD ALWAYS STRIVE TO BE THE BEST ... AND THE BEST OPTION FOR THE BRONCOS IS TO HAVE MILFORD, HUNT AND TAYLOR IN THE SPINE.

No, that's just a variation of group 2. Add your name.

I of course agree with this, in this Forum's minuscule supporters of this point of view.

Next year, that's when Taylor ought to be ready to get a go, and when Hodgo retires to allow Kahu a place in the centres with Copley.

I honestly can't see Hodges lasting this season without another injury, especially if he gets picked for the Maroons which I am sure he will.

It won't happen of course, unless Boyd seriously stuffs up which I doubt. So Taylor goes to Manly and Kahu probably will get an offer from another club to play FB, centre or 5/8 and we lose the other Niko as well.

Oh well, as so many people have posted, can't keep them all.

Having said that, we will do really well with Boyd at the back and I see Milford getting real traction on the 5/8 role even though it limits his game imo, and we could so use him like Slater from the back as a 2nd 5/8 and more.

I think Kahu and Copley would be a top centre pairing.

So we will do really well anyway, which is great. The question is, how well is really well. At least it will fun to watch.

Last edited:

Morkel

Unless you have some sort of Sliding Doors device I don't see how you determine a winner.

For all you know we'll win one premiership with Milford at six but would have won two with Milford at fullback. Or we'll win 0 with Milford at six but would have won 0 with Milford at fullback and got 3 wooden spoons and Milford's career being ruined.

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • Johnny92
  • Xzei
  • Skathen
  • NSW stables
  • Brocko
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.