"Hoffy isn't the guy for Fullback" - Hodges

Barba's strength is his broken field play, have him at fullback returning the ball, and then Hoffman out of dummy half the next play.

Then Vidot the play after.

Barba needs to be fullback fulltime IMO.

The way I read it is Hodges is just trying to give Hoffman a nudge in the right direction, get his head thinking straight, nothing insulting rather a challenge to move on, I applaud Hodges for this because his a player who very early on made the mistake of letting his ego get the better of him and luckily for his career he learnt from it, he obviously doesn't want Hoffman to go the same way.

Last edited:
Interesting timing with the World Cup right around the corner. Hoffman looks certain to be named in the number 1 jersey for the Kiwi's and I hope Hodgo's words fire him up for the tournament.

As for 2014, I really hope he stays & plays at centre/wing. I don't see the value in swapping mid game Barba / Hoffman as Barba should be able to handle defence just fine.

Barbas defence is just fine, as is Hoffmans really.....but Barba just offers the side a lot more at fullback.

Hoffmans best asset is his strong running game, so he should be playing centre/wing for us next year.

hope the team does really well with him at centre/wing and decides to resign and win a few premierships.

Great to see Hodges giving some friendly advice to Hoffy... I think Hoffman is a brilliant hard running old school type fullback, constantly lurking around the middle, with plenty of heart. This is one of his great assets, but as Hodges put it, his downfall in the modern day game. I do believe his style however is well suited to how the Broncos "should" play, through the middle third of the field, instead of copying the style of many of the other teams, with sweeping fullback plays each set. We all witnessed the repetitive, predictable sweeping play from Norman, which is easily defended without creating much of a threat, which resulted in moving too laterally, from side to side, rather than forward. What the Broncos need, is their own playing style, which is unpredictable, targeting the centre of the field, and the bigger, tired forwards. This unpredictability will create headaches for the opposition, and hence misreads in defence, with plenty of linebreaks and broken field play in which Hoffman will thrive in due to his support play. The Broncos need to constantly change the angle of the play, hit holes, and turn the opposition big men inside out. Use the outside, inside play, that Lockyer to Thaiday/Hodges, to K.Hunt so perfectly performed, instead now with B.Hunt to Thaiday/Hodges, to Hoffman who can use his explosive speed, footwork or fend to burst through the line. Its not as if Hoffman doesn't possess a passing game, its more so following the coach's game plan, and so often you see him wanting to pass, but he hesitates, indicating a lack of confidence, perhaps to throw an intercept pass and also because the Broncos outside backs stand so flat, making it hard to pass. I'm sure if the game plan involved Hoffman passing, and the team stood deeper, with a little work to build his confidence in his passing ability, and more game time with a fixed halves pairing, we would see the perfect balance between passing and running, with correct timing and combinations. Hoffman possesses a lot more than just a running game, he has a passing and kicking game, after all he has played as a five-eighth for all of his junior football. The Interesting thing is that his position was never once questioned whilst Lockyer was around, who constantly provided quality ball for Hoffman to do his thing. But with Norman and Wallace, the quality ball dried up, often leaving Hoffman in a position to do nothing except get tackled. Due to the arrival of Barba if Hoffman doesn't get the fullback position, we should use him as a five-eighth, as Hoffman considers it his favourite, and best position, and he can re-develop his combination with Barba, who had a brilliant combination together in their junior days in McKay.

You know, I'd be happy if Hoffman was actually lurking around the middle, but I really don't think he does. I mean you'd think with the amount of offloads Gillett and especially Parker (who topped the league) have gotten away we'd see him running in support, but they usually just throw it 2 or 3 metres backwards, since no one else is around. We've been using him as a second receiver, and that's what he's been hopeless as.

Great to see Hodges giving some friendly advice to Hoffy...
Hello bazza, and welcome to BHQ!

Allow me to give you some advice and strong suggestion. :wink:

Your post lacks paragraphs, and as such becomes almost unreadable.
It's a pity, because a lot of people might loose out on a very interesting and balanced view regarding Hoffman.

I don't agree with everything, such as Hoffman's having a passing ability, and I think he needs to greatly improve his timing as well. But most of what you write is correct, albeit almost anyone would look good at fullback with Locky feeding them the ball...

Rugby League World Cup | Josh Hoffman Keen To Lock... | Stuff.co.nz

Looks like Hoffy isn't going anywhere next season! Glad to hear he's keeping a positive attitude to the Barba situation and he's taking it as a challenge rather than a lack of confidence.

Great attitude from Hoffy, and as i've maintained since we signed Barba, the articles suggesting Hoffman was unhappy and looking to leave to play fullback, yet contain ZERO quotes from Hoffman himself to back up these suggestions. Many people (including many people on here) seem to be believing everything written in these articles and then go on rants about Hoffman whinging about losing full back and saying he has a poor attitude.

The only quotes we do see from Hoffman say while he would be disappointed if he did lose the fullback position, he will see out his contract and work hard to try to win back fullback. and that he will play where needed next season.

FTR, Hoffman has every right to be disappointed about losing his favourite position, but he is a professional and will play where we need him in 2014.

It's a pity, because a lot of people might loose out on a very interesting and balanced view regarding Hoffman.

I don't agree with everything, such as Hoffman's having a passing ability, and I think he needs to greatly improve his timing as well. But most of what you write is correct, albeit almost anyone would look good at fullback with Locky feeding them the ball...

Cheers for the suggestions,

I do understand the concern over Hoffman's passing ability, but in my opinion, all he needs is the confidence instilled into him to back his ability and actually pass.

He has to have some sort of passing ability since he's played as a five-eighth for most of his junior football, and it is believed to be his strongest, and most natural position.

Nothing a bit of time, patience, and attention from the coaching of a quality halve (Lockyer) can't fix, to enable him to fully utilise his assets and skill set, that we are not already seeing, which others believe does not even exist.

I also disagree that Lockyer made him look good, as we've all witnessed him play well for NZ against the Kangaroos. It's more a case of a combination that worked, unlike the combinations between Norman/Wallace and Hoffman.

I think if Hoffman was given the #6 jersey, we shouldn't expect miracles, and we should persevere, time is the key, and as he feels comfortable that he belongs at five-eighth, we'll see his game develop, as the case with Locky, who should be a future Immortal, one of the greatest players to ever play the game, in the same class as Wally Lewis.

With a little nurturing combinations will form between McCullough, Hunt, Hoffman and Barba, which in my opinion is a great, young spine, who once settled into their positions and firing, will potentially be quite lethal.

Last edited:
Great attitude from Hoffy, and as i've maintained since we signed Barba, the articles suggesting Hoffman was unhappy and looking to leave to play fullback, yet contain ZERO quotes from Hoffman himself to back up these suggestions. Many people (including many people on here) seem to be believing everything written in these articles and then go on rants about Hoffman whinging about losing full back and saying he has a poor attitude.

The only quotes we do see from Hoffman say while he would be disappointed if he did lose the fullback position, he will see out his contract and work hard to try to win back fullback. and that he will play where needed next season.

FTR, Hoffman has every right to be disappointed about losing his favourite position, but he is a professional and will play where we need him in 2014.

100% agree with this. there seems to be have been a lot of unwarranted character assassination of Hoffman over the whole fullback/wing move. There was only ever speculation in the media that he was upset about not playing fullback and even if it was true, all it proves is that he is a human being with emotions. It doesn't mean he is a shit team player or bringing the team down with him

100% agree with this. there seems to be have been a lot of unwarranted character assassination of Hoffman over the whole fullback/wing move. There was only ever speculation in the media that he was upset about not playing fullback and even if it was true, all it proves is that he is a human being with emotions. It doesn't mean he is a **** team player or bringing the team down with him

People are probably subconsciously remembering him saying he didn't put in at the end of last year along with him getting the sads a bit when Norman took his spot this year

In any case, don't we need someone at the back with a little extra that sets a good FB apart (Hoffman) from a game breaker (Barba), and at the same time, puts a damn fine finishing winger where he belongs, whether or not he alternates between wing and wherever ... as long as he is there to score the try, something at which he has proven he can do - on the wing?

If for some reason Hoffman is given a shot at 5/8 during the pre-season/trials and excels, well then, we are lucky.

Yes.....good observation, PH. I for one refused to read such a blur of words as bazza's post was

and by the sounds of it, it could have been a worthwhile read!

I'm a hard ****.....and unforgiving

Hopefully Bazza posts again and heeds some of your excellent advice.

:takdir:

Damn your rationale responses and well thought out arguments @rnabokov!

You are making me miss rugby league far too much! All this speculation is just feeding my end-of-season mourning. Thankfully the Wold Cup is just around the corner. C'mon Cozza and Tatey!

Yeah, me too. I am still in withdrawl. Gotta love the game and gotta love your team.

Qld to win the World Cup !

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Fatboy
  • winslow_wong
  • ostin86
  • MrRobot
  • broncsgoat
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Jazza
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Scorchie
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • Spooky1013
  • Broncorob
  • Johnny92
  • Broncosarethebest
  • barker
  • Browny
  • Tim K
  • FACTHUNT
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.