International rugby league

• Thread starter Lockysillegitimatechild
  • Start date
Which is true, but the thing is Langer kept Lam out of Queensland team when he was available. And then Johns and Stuart would of come into play for Australia at the time as well. Even if Fitler was selected at 5/8th, Lam wouldn't of likely made it anyway.

Radley was kept out of NSW by Yeo, and has Carrigan and Tino to contend with for a green and gold jersey as well. Luai isn't getting picked if Munster is available either. If Munster isn't Deardon, Wighton and Burton are all in contention at 5/8th as well.

With NZ and England though, while they are Tier 1, Samoa and Tonga could match them at full strength. If England, NZ, Samoa and Tonga were playing three tests a year, would this debate over origin eligibility even be happening right now? Or would the interest in those match's put them on par with what Origin is
Yes it will still be talked about because the debate is should state of Origin which is the pinnicle of the game be treated as a selection process for the Kangaroos, or be treated as it's own thing entirely.

Yes it will still be talked about because the debate is should state of Origin which is the pinnicle of the game be treated as a selection process for the Kangaroos, or be treated as it's own thing entirely.
Its its own thing. Has been since the Super League war. The finals are a better indication of who's in form and who is available.

Origin though should NOT be the pinnacle at all, internationals should be. The Origin period should be compressed into a month with Tonga vs Samoa being best of three and NZ touring UK and France at the same time every year, with the NRL season stopped. And Qld and NSW can carry on playing each other. Then that way when the Australian team does assemble they are effectively the underdogs.

But until Rugby League gets serious about internationals, it's always going to find a way to shoot itself in the foot.

the ARLC have been forced into an embarrassing backflip.

In the build-up to this year’s Origin series, NRL Head of Football Graham Annesley wrote to each state body to announce that Blues coach Fittler and Maroons coach Slater would become Kangaroos selectors, replacing Laurie Daley and Darren Lockyer on the panel.

the NSWRL and QRL have informed the ARLC that neither Fittler nor Slater will be taking up the positions as they feel it is a conflict of interest. they feel that they'll have to go all in on their own state players to avoid being perceived as disloyal.

the NSWRL and QRL are set to nominate Daley and Lockyer to become the national selectors instead. Mal doesn't get a vote on the selectors but Vlandys has the decisive vote

Lord Vlandys on Billy and Freddy:

“From what I’m told, Billy and Freddy [Fittler] believe they’ve got a conflict of interest because if they don’t go in there and stick up for the players they’re coaching and they miss out, the perception might be they’re not loyal to them. I can understand and respect that.”

Lord Vlandys on Locky and Daley:

“They’re two legends of the game,” V’landys added. “I love Laurie, and one of the nicest people to me when I came into the game was Darren Lockyer, so you couldn’t ask for two better people. I respect both the views of Billy and Freddy. I can understand where they’re coming from and it’s no problem.”

Felise Kaufisi has picked Tonga for the WC.

Hard to say if he makes the Australian team, but another good move. This world cup should be fun.

Felise Kaufisi has picked Tonga for the WC.

Hard to say if he makes the Australian team, but another good move. This world cup should be fun.

Australia is still going to comfortably be the strongest side.

How bout this for the Aussie side:

1. Tedesco
2. Oates
3. Mitchell
4. Burton
5. Holmes
6. Munster
7. Cherry-Evans
8. Haas
9. Hunt
10. Carrigan
11. Capewell
12. Crichton/Murray
13. Yeo

14. Grant
15. Paulo
16. Collins
17. Ponga

And look, a human owl:

rugby-league-george-lawler-hull-kr_3740410.jpg

How bout this for the Aussie side:

1. Tedesco
2. Oates
3. Mitchell
4. Burton
5. Holmes
6. Munster
7. Cherry-Evans
8. Haas
9. Hunt
10. Carrigan
11. Capewell
12. Crichton/Murray
13. Yeo

14. Grant
15. Paulo
16. Collins
17. Ponga
Ponga might be gone due to concussion, I think Tino would be ahead of Collins quite comfortably.

I think Holmes being on the wing is likely because he and Mitchell would play the same centre spot, I expect Cobbo will be in the Squad and get some games though, but probably will miss the top 17 for the bigger games.

Cleary will be above DCE without question, I get that DCE had a better origin but there is no question who is the better player, DCE can't perform at the same level day in day out during the season.

While this will be bad for free to air exclusive watchers I think this will provide much better coverage:
https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/exclusive-foxtel-acquires-rugby-league-world-cup-rights/

Last world cup had channel 7 take the rights and the coverage suffered due to all the regular commentators being contracted to 9 and Foxtel, this should make it alot better.

I'll also assume they will actually go to the games because last time Channel 7 just pinched NZs Sky coverage with no one on the ground.

While this will be bad for free to air exclusive watchers I think this will provide much better coverage:
https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/exclusive-foxtel-acquires-rugby-league-world-cup-rights/

Last world cup had channel 7 take the rights and the coverage suffered due to all the regular commentators being contracted to 9 and Foxtel, this should make it alot better.

I'll also assume they will actually go to the games because last time Channel 7 just pinched NZs Sky coverage with no one on the ground.
It's also over in England so the time difference impacts on value of the rights

It's also over in England so the time difference impacts on value of the rights
Thank **** for that, also despite the game seemingly having trouble over there they really turn up for the internationals, last world cup over there sold out Old Trafford with Australia playing New Zealand, they love the high quality games.

Thank **** for that, also despite the game seemingly having trouble over there they really turn up for the internationals, last world cup over there sold out Old Trafford with Australia playing New Zealand, they love the high quality games.

They generally get ok crowds, certainly more than say the Roosters.

They generally get ok crowds, certainly more than say the Roosters.
Qcup teams get better crowds then the rorters.

but last time looked like this:

Homebush wouldn't match that in a world cup don't think, Sold out Old Trafford.
World cup rl

Junior Paulo commits to Samoa, man they are going to be good in the WC.

I am guessing Australia should just assume any Tongan or Samoan heritage player won’t be available. Australia is still easily the favourite though. I mean look at this side:

1. Tedesco
2. Oates/Holmes
3. Mitchell
4. Burton
5. Cobbo/Suaalii/Addo-Carr
6. Munster
7. Cleary/Cherry-Evans
8. Haas
9. Hunt
10. Cotter
11. Capewell
12. Murray
13. Yeo

14. Grant
15. Carrigan
16. Collins
17. Crichton

And this is with me forgetting about 10 players.

Unread

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Allo
  • Mustafur
  • winslow_wong
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • bazza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.