Issac Luke joins the Broncos

Loved Bully back in his prime. He’s not the same player but I’ll take his experience on a cheap one year deal for depth 100%.

Though if Macca is back next season then it feels like that was all for naught. Any money Newcastle is covering surely just gets swallowed by a Luke signing.

He reminds me of Chris Sandow in terms of that loose shoulder charge or two on one strip. Do love his running game and if he sticks to his technique, we’ll be rubbing our hands together. His brain snaps when tired are what we need to avoid.

Exactly. As for brain snaps, sounds like a confection he can share with TPJ and I admit that's a worry, so when tired, intelligent bench rotation comes to the fore

Last edited:
Bennett signed:

Tony
Moga
Blair
Benji
Swain

These are all players who were considered washed up or over the hill that the Broncos have bought in in the past.
Swain was washed up. Tony not so much but lost his job to Barry "Bearcat" Berrigan. Moga was considered an injury liability. But Benji and Blair were thought to be washed up but proved otherwise. Luke is definitely washed up but that won't stop him from jumping straight into the starting side despite sitting in the bleachers for the comp's worst team.

geez didnt this signing fall into our laps...

No way was this ever on when we let Macca go.....kinda feel like we should have simply let Macca stay....but guess he was never a Siebs guy..

We needed a hooker, we got one...thats all I can say about this signing for now.

No idea if he can still play 80 but unless Paix stays as that utility #14 spot he can give him. spell...

Welcome to the club Isaac......you are sorely needed my friend...
[automerge]1592019519[/automerge]
Swain was washed up. Tony not so much but lost his job to Barry "Bearcat" Berrigan. Moga was considered an injury liability. But Benji and Blair were thought to be washed up but proved otherwise. Luke is definitely washed up but that won't stop him from jumping straight into the starting side despite sitting in the bleachers for the comp's worst team.

...who was that tackling machine from Canberra we brought in last year for forward depth...shit I cant remember his name but.....lets hope Luke isnt like him..!

Last edited:
Haven't seen him play this year but if on min a wage could be handy. We can see Turps is not an 80min player yet and Paix is still not experienced enough to play hooker. Such an important position.

At this rate we could sign Peter Pan and people would be excited and claim its a good thing.

This reeks of desperation and a lack of foresight. Surely when Macca was being offered to other clubs there was some conversation about what if Turpin got injured?

On one hand I get that he adds experience but on the other hand Luke can hardly stay fit enough to string 5 games together.
I'd happily take Luke over Macca, especially when one is on 400k or so, and Luke would be on practically minimum wage. Luke is a premiership winning player, Macca is a perennial choker who has never been 1 step above average.

Luke is the perfect fit until Turpin is back, and even when Turpin is back, he's not an 80 minute player. Macca offers nothing for 80 minutes or 20, Luke offers something.

IIRC Tony left and went to England when WB gave his No. 6 jersey to his son in law.

geez didnt this signing fall into our laps...

No way was this ever on when we let Macca go.....kinda feel like we should have simply let Macca stay....but guess he was never a Siebs guy..

We needed a hooker, we got one...thats all I can say about this signing for now.

No idea if he can still play 80 but unless Paix stays as that utility #14 spot he can give him. spell...

Welcome to the club Isaac......you are sorely needed my friend...
[automerge]1592019519[/automerge]

...who was that tackling machine from Canberra we brought in last year for forward depth...shit I cant remember his name but.....lets hope Luke isnt like him..!
I don't recall. Do you mean Fensom?

Anyone know what sort of coin he was on at St George?
If it’s more than base money are they subsidising him for the difference?

i prefer to look at it this way.

we get an experienced premiership winning hooker for minimum wage to fill a position we are struggling with due to injuries.

Also, if we had to choose between Macca and Luke to mentor our young hookers, then it has to be Luke every day on the week (and twice on Thursday 😛 ) ... because on his best day Macca is not only an average hooker, but one that doesn't fit in with Seibs style of play ... Luke on the other hand, is a premiership winning, former international hooker,who fits Seibs style of play

Maccas will be stoked to have Teo and Luke in town based on their current rigs.

Between Macca and Luke, obviously Luke is the better player overall. He's won a premiership, has the experience and is simply a better player than Macca ever was or will be.

I'm not totally against the Luke signing, my gripe is simply - where are we, the Brisbane Broncos as a team and club heading?

A player coming to the Brisbane Broncos was never an easy thing to do. It didn't happen often because we'd develop our own but when we did sign a player from an opposing club, it was a big deal and everyone took notice like, wow so and so is a Brisbane Broncos player now, he's definitely in the elite status now etc.

The club used to look at players to recruit and the first question asked would be - does this player fit into the Brisbane Broncos culture? Is he a Bronco? What values does he bring to us? Yes, he's a terrific player and is needed here but what's he about and does he fit in for us? Where's his head at? What does he bring to our culture and team?

Recruitment was a well thought out process. It was a privilege to come to us. I feel we've lost that and it's been that way for a few years. I feel we are a charity case signing players willy nilly and for a quick fix.

Look, I realise times have changed but we used to stand for something. Now, we are signing a Isaac Luke or a Ben T'eo or a Shaun Fensom and we should be happy with that? We are becoming just another regular rugby league club.

He is a bit of a mongrel, aggitator on the field so hopefully it can help fire up the pack and get them playing agressive.

If he does skip out from dummy half we desperately need people following. Isaako, milford and croft all pushing up with him.

Im a bit disappointed for dearden, i thought he could have got a shot on the bench to relieve paix.

If the choice was between Peats, Rein and Luke I would pick Issac everyday of the week. Not only does he have the higher ceiling, but he's also offers more as a relief hooker.

The way I see it, he gets an audition in the next couple of weeks and if he comes here with the same attitude as Segeyaro and takes it upon himself to create opportunities the Broncos will be onto a winner. Just simplify his role and get Milford to run off the back of him.

Something had to be done here. Paix was doing extremely well to get through 70 and the coaching staff clearly doesn't have a lot of faith in Hetherington in that position. I don't think there's any shame in bringing in an experienced former Test player and if it works out it makes everybody's life easier.

I don’t understand the concern so many have with this signing.

We currently don’t have a recognised 9 who is fit. We’re desperate for some experience in the squad with so many young players and this guy is a premiership winner and former test player.
He has big game experience and loves to run the ball behind a dominant forward pack.

He’s literally everything we need in a backup 9 and for minimum wage!

Would you rather Paix throwing shit passes into faces until turps is back?

Active Now

• Ghost of Vlansys
  • Mr Fourex
  • Rambstien
  • Bucking Beads
  • bb_gun
  • Aldo
  • Socnorb
  • heartly87
  • broncsgoat
  • GCBRONCO
  • Johnny92
  • Lostboy
  • upthebroncs
  • Spooky1013
  • leish107
  • broncos4life
  • Foordy
  • Tristan1990
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Locky24
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.