Issac Luke joins the Broncos

That is a fair point.Who knows how Brailey will return, or if he re-injures himself. Though depending on how much of Maccas contract they’re covering it may be too expensive for a depth hooker.
They can obviously cover his contract as well as Brailey’s in their cap because they’re clearly doing it right now. I’d imagine though they might view that as a bad way to spend their money once Macca isn’t needed to start every week. It would also be subject to how much we’re currently subsidising (if anything at all) and whether we can maintain that next season too.

Brailey is their long term plan right now though so it would be naive on our part to assume Macca is gone to the Knights and never coming back. I think his return is actually reasonably likely unless another club needs a Dummy Half and has spare cash to play with next year.

Last edited:
Yep. So? He can join our Tongan contingent of Staggs, David Fifita and TPJ

On the field, he is Bronco and that's all that matters
Don't you think the flagship Queensland club should look to signing 80-90% Queenslanders like they did when they were last successful?

No way he comes back. He’s exactly what Newcastle needs and he has instantly fit in to their playing style. They have Pearce and Ponga in their spine, all the need is a reliable hooker.

Newcastle would be crazy to let him go.
Brailey comes back from injury. That's why they signed Macca

Between Macca and Luke, obviously Luke is the better player overall. He's won a premiership, has the experience and is simply a better player than Macca ever was or will be.

I'm not totally against the Luke signing, my gripe is simply - where are we, the Brisbane Broncos as a team and club heading?

A player coming to the Brisbane Broncos was never an easy thing to do. It didn't happen often because we'd develop our own but when we did sign a player from an opposing club, it was a big deal and everyone took notice like, wow so and so is a Brisbane Broncos player now, he's definitely in the elite status now etc.

The club used to look at players to recruit and the first question asked would be - does this player fit into the Brisbane Broncos culture? Is he a Bronco? What values does he bring to us? Yes, he's a terrific player and is needed here but what's he about and does he fit in for us? Where's his head at? What does he bring to our culture and team?

Recruitment was a well thought out process. It was a privilege to come to us. I feel we've lost that and it's been that way for a few years. I feel we are a charity case signing players willy nilly and for a quick fix.

Look, I realise times have changed but we used to stand for something. Now, we are signing a Isaac Luke or a Ben T'eo or a Shaun Fensom and we should be happy with that? We are becoming just another regular rugby league club.

Fantasy ...

They can obviously cover his contract as well as Brailey’s in their cap because they’re clearly doing it right now. I’d imagine though they might view that as a bad way to spend their money once Macca isn’t needed to start every week. It would also be subject to how much we’re currently subsidising (if anything at all) and whether we can maintain that next season too.

Brailey is their long term plan right now though so it would be naive on our part to assume Macca is gone to the Knights and never coming back. I think his return is actually reasonably likely unless another club needs a Dummy Half and has spare cash to play with next year.
That first paragraph was exactly the point I was making in the post you quoted

Don't you think the flagship Queensland club should look to signing 80-90% Queenslanders like they did when they were last successful?
Definitely not, NSW player depth is definitely much stronger ATM we should be signing the best options regardless where they come from(I hope we are scouting properly in England because they have been producing Elite talent lately)
Some of our best players ATM are NSW based players(Haas,TPJ,Staggs,Lodge)

Last edited:
Wasnt he named at fullback but K Hunt debuted instead. Hunt never allowed him to play again
Yes K Hunt was rookie of the year. Tony was the Warriors 6 when bought to us an it was my understanding to be ours. But Ikin appeared on the scene. Tony only played a couple of games but not as 6.

I love how even during a player injury crisis where we are getting absolutely belted in games, we still get bantered about our salary cap but apparently Newcastle have signed Frizzell for $700+ for next year onwards and are going to upgrade Kayln Ponga for an extra $400k a season than they are paying him now with no one being traded the other way and no one bats an eye lid or asks the question because they’ve been poor for so long? Or are we just suppose to believe they are still operating at $1 million under the cap?

Last edited:
I love how even during a player injury crisis where we are getting absolutely belted in games, we still get bantered about our salary cap but apparently Newcastle have signed Frizzell for $700+ for next year onwards and are going to upgrade Kayln Ponga for an extra $400k a season than they are paying him now with no one being traded the other way and no one bats an eye lid or asks the question because they’ve been poor for so long? Or are we just suppose to believe they are still operating at $1 million under the cap?
Not to mention Klemmer on probably $800k (have heard commentators mention that he is close to a million!! ) and Pearce on near enough to a million.

In saying that Knights million dollar players Ponga, Pearce, Klemmer are taking up similar to Bird, Boyd and Milf, and we are looking to sign Fifi for ~$750k... and Lodge & TPJ for $600k-700k each.

I'm not totally against the Luke signing, my gripe is simply - where are we, the Brisbane Broncos as a team and club heading?

A player coming to the Brisbane Broncos was never an easy thing to do. It didn't happen often because we'd develop our own but when we did sign a player from an opposing club, it was a big deal and everyone took notice like, wow so and so is a Brisbane Broncos player now, he's definitely in the elite status now etc.

The club used to look at players to recruit and the first question asked would be - does this player fit into the Brisbane Broncos culture? Is he a Bronco? What values does he bring to us? Yes, he's a terrific player and is needed here but what's he about and does he fit in for us? Where's his head at? What does he bring to our culture and team?

Recruitment was a well thought out process. It was a privilege to come to us. I feel we've lost that and it's been that way for a few years. I feel we are a charity case signing players willy nilly and for a quick fix.

Look, I realise times have changed but we used to stand for something. Now, we are signing a Isaac Luke or a Ben T'eo or a Shaun Fensom and we should be happy with that? We are becoming just another regular rugby league club.

On a related note, You would have found the Lodge zoom interview interesting as would most of us would have.

Lodge mentioned how when he was at Penrith, when Joel Clinton got signed by the Broncos for 2008, it was a huge deal to the players out at Penrith as they viewed the Broncos as a superpower club and that it was a massive deal to be wanted by a club with that status. The way he spoke about it it was like those Penrith Players looked at Joel Clinton as if he has made it and probably became a superstar in their eyes overnight. The way he mentioned it though made it seem like an A-League player had picked up a multi million pound deal in the English Premier League yet all Clinton was realistically doing is just jointing another NRL club. He also admitted Brisbane have lost that aura since.

God I wish we still had that type of status and aura. Good things never last forever though. The funny thing is continued onfield success, with some decent recruitment and retention again, could at least rebuild some of that lost aura

Last edited:
On a related note, You would have found the Lodge zoom interview interesting as would most of us would have.

Lodge mentioned how when he was at Penrith, when Joel Clinton got signed by the Broncos for 2008, it was a huge deal to the players out at Penrith as they viewed the Broncos as a superpower club and that it was a massive deal to be wanted by a club with that status. The way he spoke about it it was like those Penrith Players looked at Joel Clinton as if he has made it and probably became a superstar in their eyes overnight. The way he mentioned it though made it seem like an A-League player had picked up a multi million pound deal in the English Premier League yet all Clinton was realistically doing is just jointing another NRL club. He also admitted Brisbane have lost that aura since.

God I wish we still had that type of status and aura. Good things never last forever though. The funny thing is continued onfield success, with some decent recruitment and retention again, could at least rebuild some of that lost aura
Need to replace White with V’landys. Guaranteed aura.

Need to replace White with V’landys. Guaranteed aura.

why not...he has a horse racing background...we are called the Broncos, have a horse head for a motto.....perfect fit...

why not...he has a horse racing background...we are called the Broncos, have a horse head for a motto.....perfect fit...
He certainly know's how to get the folks at Fox to trip over themselves to sing his praises for his every move, which is something we could desperately do with right now.

Active Now

• BrentTatesChin
  • Xzei
  • Hurrijo
  • Sproj
  • Gaz
  • bb_gun
  • Jedhead
  • Dexter
  • Big Del
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Johnny92
  • Ondi
  • Lurker
  • Bish
  • Bucking Beads
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.