It’s not Seibold’s fault

Lol no it doesn’t.

when he was coached by a good coach, he was good.

When he’s coached by a shit coach, he’s....

I’ll let you figure it out
So it’s the Coaches fault for Milford now? I thought it was because he wasn’t allowed to ‘play his natural game’ apparently? Wasn’t it then all because he wasn’t allowed to play Fullback? Or my personal favourite, it was the fault of Halfback he played alongside?

Tell you what, Milford apologists sure does love an excuse...

Last edited:
He was our best player over that 3 year stretch culminating in a poty award playing a role everyone claims he can’t. Has fallen off a cliff since.

I seriously don’t believe it’s entirely Seibold’s call to decide if he could drop Boyd, there must be some other factors.

If starting Boyd is his own decision, I’d seriously doubt he’d be that blind. I prefer it’s a message from the club, like be nice to old players especially who used to be one of the premiership winning team members

I think one of the factors keeping Boyd in the side is ,rightly or wrongly, experience.

I don't know how we have found ourselves in a situation where we have a club full of inexperienced kids but we are basically fielding an under 23's team and they are performing as such.

Seibold is stuck between a rock and a hard place as he knows lack of experience is a big problem but the only guys with said experience are the same guys letting the team down.

The shuffling of Boyd and Milford last season highlights this where he knows he needs experience but he can't get the experienced players to fire and one of the reasons they are failing miserably is they are playing with a bunch of kids.

It's the perfect shitstorm and it's not going away anytime soon.

Our team, for years, had a production line of talent coming into teams full of seasoned veterans who took these kids under their wings and showed them how to be a top grade player.
Just look at our "Origin" contingent now. This was a team bristling with Origin players who were mostly Queenslanders and we knew we had to start the season hot as we were gonna get hurt when 9, 10 , 11 of our players went and played Origin mid season.

Now we have 3 kids, Haas, Staggs (maybe) and Lodge (maybe) and to make matters worse they are all blues.

Where is this "we have all of queensland to choose from..." bunch of superstars that used to fill our team now?

They are all playing for other teams while we limp along with a team of kids and overpaid disappointments...

Our succession planning over the last few seasons as we said goodbye to Lockyer, Hodges, Parker, Thaiday, etc etc etc has been abysmal and for that the clubs recruitment team need to have a good look at the team they have built because whether Seibold is the guy for the job or not he has precious little to work with.

Because you want to see the coach give at least some kind of insight, Siebs pretty clearly honestly seems to show he is absolutely stumped, this is extremely concerning.
I remember watching a very similar press conference last season with Panthers Coach Ivan Cleary. He didn't know what to say either and said as much.

The press had a field day with it but Cleary knew nothing he said at a PC was going to count for a pinch of shit. The team just have to keep working and get better at handling the sometimes overwhelming flow of possession this new rule has injected into the game.

They have always said "momentum" is a major factor in the game and the new rule makes that "momentum" almost insurmountable sometimes.

The media is already noticing the blowouts scores and wondering out loud if this is really what we want our game to look like? yeh they all love it but the day of the close match is numbered while this rule is being applied like it is.

Of course the team getting called for infringements in the ruck is going to struggle trying to stem the flow so they are going to infringe again as they get more desperate.

It's a snowball and as long as your side is on the right side of the calls you will love watching your team tear apart the opposition but if you lose momentum you're in big trouble if you can't find a way to reign in the other team while they steamroll you down the field

I

They have always said "momentum" is a major factor in the game and the new rule makes that "momentum" almost insurmountable sometimes.

The media is already noticing the blowouts scores and wondering out loud if this is really what we want our game to look like? yeh they all love it but the day of the close match is numbered while this rule is being applied like it is.

Of course the team getting called for infringements in the ruck is going to struggle trying to stem the flow so they are going to infringe again as they get more desperate.

It's a snowball and as long as your side is on the right side of the calls you will love watching your team tear apart the opposition but if you lose momentum you're in big trouble if you can't find a way to reign in the other team while they steamroll you down the field

This is what i am concerned with atm - we have absolutely no fire power to stave against it. I can handle the younger kids are not as sharp yet, but a lot of the problem is effort and communication.

I remember watching a very similar press conference last season with Panthers Coach Ivan Cleary. He didn't know what to say either and said as much.

The press had a field day with it but Cleary knew nothing he said at a PC was going to count for a pinch of shit. The team just have to keep working and get better at handling the sometimes overwhelming flow of possession this new rule has injected into the game.

I actually think the rule could be great, if it is applied fairly across the competition but you need good enough refs to do that which the NRL have not had in a long time.

That said, even with inconsistency, you need to give teams an off-season to prepare for such a huge change in the rules. Yes, some teams have adapted well and credit to them and their coaches but governance really shouldn't be introducing massive rule changes like this mid-season. It once again looks like amateurism from the NRL. All team will eventually adapt but this should have happened in the off-season, not the post-season re-start off-season and late in the piece at that.

I actually think the rule could be great, if it is applied fairly across the competition but you need good enough refs to do that which the NRL have not had in a long time.

That said, even with inconsistency, you need to give teams an off-season to prepare for such a huge change in the rules. Yes, some teams have adapted well and credit to them and their coaches but governance really shouldn't be introducing massive rule changes like this mid-season. It once again looks like amateurism from the NRL. All team will eventually adapt but this should have happened in the off-season, not the post-season re-start off-season and late in the piece at that.

It plays more like a government using a shitty situation to push through a law the people don't really like. It was a good time to do it. If he'd waited, he'd be contending with all the old cockheads at head office, and like always, nothing would get done.

I think one of the factors keeping Boyd in the side is ,rightly or wrongly, experience.

I don't know how we have found ourselves in a situation where we have a club full of inexperienced kids but we are basically fielding an under 23's team and they are performing as such.

Seibold is stuck between a rock and a hard place as he knows lack of experience is a big problem but the only guys with said experience are the same guys letting the team down.

The shuffling of Boyd and Milford last season highlights this where he knows he needs experience but he can't get the experienced players to fire and one of the reasons they are failing miserably is they are playing with a bunch of kids.

It's the perfect shitstorm and it's not going away anytime soon.

Our team, for years, had a production line of talent coming into teams full of seasoned veterans who took these kids under their wings and showed them how to be a top grade player.
Just look at our "Origin" contingent now. This was a team bristling with Origin players who were mostly Queenslanders and we knew we had to start the season hot as we were gonna get hurt when 9, 10 , 11 of our players went and played Origin mid season.

Now we have 3 kids, Haas, Staggs (maybe) and Lodge (maybe) and to make matters worse they are all blues.

Where is this "we have all of queensland to choose from..." bunch of superstars that used to fill our team now?

They are all playing for other teams while we limp along with a team of kids and overpaid disappointments...

Our succession planning over the last few seasons as we said goodbye to Lockyer, Hodges, Parker, Thaiday, etc etc etc has been abysmal and for that the clubs recruitment team need to have a good look at the team they have built because whether Seibold is the guy for the job or not he has precious little to work with.

So you fix this problem with adequate recruitment and retention, which he and the club haven’t.

He ‘bet the farm’ on unproven kids, rather than a mix with some experienced NRL players (and no not the ones we had, who we ALL know have needed clearing out for YEARS) and if he doesn’t get them firing quickly, he’ll be gone well before the fruit of any of his labours are ripe.

(and no not the ones we had, who we ALL know have needed clearing out for YEARS)

and here is the problem for Seibs ... these players that needed cleaning out were all signed to long term contracts BEFORE he arrived at the club.

Seibs can't simply arrive at the clubs and say piss off Macca, piss off Boyd, piss off Bird etc ... it just doesn't work like that.

Last edited:
and here is the problem for Seibs ... these players that needed cleaning out were all signed to long term contracts BEFORE he arrived at the club.

Seibs can't simply arrive at the clubs and say piss off Macca, piss off Boyd, piss off Bird etc ... it just doesn't work like that.
He got rid of plenty of players though. At what point is the onus on him to I dunno, coach them?

He got rid of plenty of players though. At what point is the onus on him to I dunno, coach them?

he can get rid of any player that wants to leave ... the ones Jason is talking about have no interest in leaving.

and in terms of coaching them, there is only so much you can do with crap

he can get rid of any player that wants to leave ... the ones Jason is talking about have no interest in leaving.

and in terms of coaching them, there is only so much you can do with crap
There’s 11 other players in the field doing nothing as well though. What has he coached them to do?

He was our best player over that 3 year stretch culminating in a poty award playing a role everyone claims he can’t. Has fallen off a cliff since.

How does he forget all the skills he learned in those years? Surely the coach isn’t telling him to camp out on the left and do nothing. What’s happened to his long kicking game? Surely he’s capable of calling for it and taking some heat off the half back. It can’t all be the coaches fault he’s fallen off a cliff.

Noticing that those defending Seibold are yet to answer the question I asked about what he has done well so far. The excuses aren’t making him look any better.

Mate, just because nobody has answered, doesn’t mean you are correct. Many of us have lives outside of footy and simply can’t be bothered, no disrespect to you.
Those same people have responded to a lot of other things though.

They’ve even been happy enough to reply to one line so they can spin my point as well, but won’t respond to the important stuff.

Active Now

• dirtyharry
  • Foordy
  • broncos4life
  • Johnny92
  • Organix
  • Santa
  • Aldo
  • Mister Wright
  • Fozz
  • MrTickyMcG
  • lynx000
  • Strop
  • winslow_wong
  • The True King
  • marw
  • Behold
  • Cavalo
  • Bish
  • Turky Murky
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.