Ivan, Ivan, Ivan

This result highlights what can happen when anyone or group feel they have achieved something. Time, and only the passage of time gives a chance for a true judgement to be made. I felt that the thread is a little premature. Yes, Ivan has done a reasonable job and so far has not alienated the players ,club or supporters. However should we miss the semis (horrible thought) questions will be raised as to the value of the change a year or so back.

Excuses will be offered(youth yada yada yada) recriminations made and old dirty laundry aired. The media will make a circus of it all and NSWelshmen will delight in every squirm. Bronco haters will be in full cry.

I say hold off until the seasons well done and dusted and the gf rings handed out before, after some serious navel gazing and contemplation, make your assessments.

Ivan deserves the praise for getting us where we are after a dismal start of the season. no matter where we end up!

Having said that, I have no doubt he also has plenty of short comings, especially tactically, but he has a mastermind to help him in Darren Lockyer.
As rnabokov said, we also lack structure and specific coaching on the next team we play, especially in D. We generally don't seem to know our adversaries strongest points, much less how to counter them...

I've liked what Ivans done a lot since he took over.

My only two critisicims are not starting with Norman last night, and playing Carroll over Hunt when Wallace was injured. Better to throw a kid in and say have a go, no matter what happens we'll support you. Having only one play maker doesn't work.

In some ways it's been a blessing in disguise all of the experienced players leaving the Broncos and a lot of newer players debuting under Henjak. They really wouldn't have had much experience under Wayne Bennett, and although they'd be aware of his history, it would have been a lot easier for Henjak to gain their confidence and trust then it would have been had he inherited an experienced team.

I'm going to praise the senior members of the squad above Ivan. I'm still not sold on him.

Take the Eels game. Sure, anyone can put a team on paper, and move players on the field as they play. But can he stop the young blokes panicking and doing stupid things when under pressure?

Who's really getting the best out of these players? Will we ever know if it's the coach, or if it's the likes of Lockyer sitting down with Hoffman and having a chat?

If it's who we praise for direction on the field. I'm praising Lockyer.

Nashy said:
I'm going to praise the senior members of the squad above Ivan. I'm still not sold on him.

Take the Eels game. Sure, anyone can put a team on paper, and move players on the field as they play. But can he stop the young blokes panicking and doing stupid things when under pressure?

Who's really getting the best out of these players? Will we ever know if it's the coach, or if it's the likes of Lockyer sitting down with Hoffman and having a chat?

If it's who we praise for direction on the field. I'm praising Lockyer.
I have no doubt whatsoever about Lockyer's influence on the team.
Lockyer has the best football thinking head of the game by a large distance since Wally Lewis, and odds are he will be our future head coach.
Still this team has come a long way since the start of the season, Ivan is the head coach, and he has to get the praise for it!

Why does he?

We're a team aren't we? And see Coxy's thread about Ivan and his overused excuses.

Nashy said:
Why does he?

We're a team aren't we? And see Coxy's thread about Ivan and his overused excuses.
I don't give a sh!t about what he says to the press, as long as he gets the team back on the rails and learns from his mistakes.
I'm not a Henjak fan, but how can you not give him at least some merit in what the youngest roster of the comp has achieved this year?

Nashy, I know you say some really astounding things at time but now you're just being silly. Ivan has shown he is a good coach by leading a young team with respectable results on and off the field.
Of course Lockyer is a huge help no one doubts that but when we lose will you be the first to come out and say we are failing because Lockyer isn't leading the team well enough?

Or will Ivan cop it when we lose but when we win it's the senior players?
I'm not saying we could win lots of games without Lockyer but Ivan is THE coach, he's the one making the selections, deciding tactics, player management, training preparation, managing work load to prevent burnout, making training fun so the players enjoy it and in general providing a good environment for the players, etc.

There is far more to coaching then just on-field tactics and selecting the team on Tuesday. It's a difficult job which time and time again has had people unable to handle it for more than a year, some 6 weeks. Ivan has handled it and produced good results at a club where the expectations are enormous which would no doubt increase the pressure on Ivan to get it right. We have come out of origin this year for the best in a long time.

Last year was the first year in a while we looked like a threatening team instead of just making up the numbers and if not for Wallace getting injured, IMO we could have made the GF. We managed to keep and sign virtually every player we have wanted since he has come on as well. You can make a million excuses for that but a coach is a key factor in making a club enjoyable and players wanting to play for it and based on what we've seen you would have to say he's done a damn good job of it.

The only time this year we have been true rubbish was towards the start where we had so many players missing but since that injury frenzy has passed we have been solid since and this is a team which pre-season most were predicting would not come close to the finals because we have a massive lack of experience. Even off the field, I can't even remember us having an off-field incident this year that's also a credit to Ivan. Clinton, Sims, Micheals, three massively overpaid players who are now gone, you can bet Henjak was a key component in those releases eventuating.

Seriously Lockyer is good, really good but as good as he is, he is just a player, not the coach. Give Ivan some credit, he deserves it. Also saying "If it's who we praise for direction on the field. I'm praising Lockyer." is very misleading. Success off the field breeds success on the field, you only need to look at the best and most successful clubs and see how they are performing off the field. A good fun environment yields good results and a coach is arguably the most important factor in off field team management.

Just to make it clear I do believe Lockyer is a huge factor in our success on and off the field, his leadership around the club is truly priceless but as good as he is if the coach has no idea on how to coach/manage then it wouldn't matter who you had in the team.

audragon said:
Nashy said:
Why does he?

I don't give a sh!t about what he says to the press, as long as he gets the team back on the rails and learns from his mistakes.
I'm not a Henjak fan, but how can you not give him at least some merit in what the youngest roster of the comp has achieved this year?

Sorry broncospwn. I can't be bothered reading a post of that size. So I'll reply to this.

I don't hate Ivan. I'm not calling for a new coach, and I'm not saying he's absolutely hopeless. I'm simply pointing out the fact that I would prefer to give credit to the players these young guys are getting their inspiration and advice from.

I'm questioning what he has done. With Bennett, if we were down and out, for the team to come out in the second half, and a lot of the time pull it together and win, or come very close to, is proof to me, that he was the inspiration and a big reason behind the change in the second half.

We haven't really seen that with Henjack. Or at least I haven't.

Of course, getting the team back on track is on him. I'm not bagging him, but I'm not saying he's great either.

Is that alright? [icon_confu

Skimming over broncospw's post.

The Broncos are a team on and off the field. Credit to Henjack for selecting the right coaching staff for the team.

Edit
A good fun environment yields good results and a coach is arguably the most important factor in off field team management.

Explain this a bit more for me. Just not as long as your post above.

Nashy said:
Skimming over broncospw's post.

The Broncos are a team on and off the field. Credit to Henjack for selecting the right coaching staff for the team.

Edit
A good fun environment yields good results and a coach is arguably the most important factor in off field team management.

Explain this a bit more for me. Just not as long as your post above.
Well basically training, player management, routines, discipline, over-coaching/under-coaching, being boring/fun, etc. All of it add up to making a good environment and a fun place to work at/train at usually means much better on field success. I believe the coach is the key to providing a good environment these days, Lockyer is also a part of that as is the senior playing group.

We disagree on this point also. But instead of boring everyone, I shall leave it at that.

Yeah... we're going to have to stop agreeing on things. It makes me feel all dirty.

Nashy.....I know you dislike longer posts and I'll be brief. Shut up. If others feel like writing to fully express their views then so be it. You heavily criticised me for the crime yet looking back over my posts I see many many other people using many more words than I do. So don't read them, the longer posts. It seems it taxes your brain too heavily.

Also, please stop writing posts you imagine are supported by all other posters. Your egotistical delusion that you speak for the masses is completely incorrect. Quality of the post is paramount. The word count is irrelevant.

Even a long post takes very little time to read and I don't believe your issue is with the length of the posts. It's simply that you are a tool,incapable of tolerance. Just shut up and don't reply. We'll never know and even more importantly, care.

Huge. said:
Nashy.....I know you dislike longer posts and I'll be brief. Shut up. If others feel like writing to fully express their views then so be it. You heavily criticised me for the crime yet looking back over my posts I see many many other people using many more words than I do. So don't read them, the longer posts. It seems it taxes your brain too heavily.

Also, please stop writing posts you imagine are supported by all other posters. Your egotistical delusion that you speak for the masses is completely incorrect. Quality of the post is paramount. The word count is irrelevant.

Even a long post takes very little time to read and I don't believe your issue is with the length of the posts. It's simply that your a tool incapable of tolerance. Just shut up and don't reply. We'll never know and even more importantly, care.

I wish they would do mental experiments on you. Your post has absolutely nothing to do with the thread. I didn't want to read a massive post, so I said straight out why I wouldn't be replying to broncospwn. I did it so he knew why I didn't respond directly to him.

Please indicate to me where I have spoken on behalf of everyone? Please use the quote button, or simply put quotation marks around it.

Or is it the fact that my opinion doesn't align with yours, so you are simply going on the defensive, because you think you're king shit, and what you say is 100% correct, and cannot possibly be argued against?

You're a f*ckwit.

Active Now

• Cavalo
  • johnny plath
  • Manofoneway
  • Tim K
  • Gaz
  • Xzei
  • Broncosarethebest
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • Harry Sack
  • Waynesaurus
  • Robboi_321
  • Old Mate
  • ostin86
  • theshed
  • bert_lifts
  • LGH
  • broncoscope
  • broncsgoat
  • FACTHUNT
  • Jedhead
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.