Knights set to sign Ben Hunt

Meat77

Meat77

NRL Player
Feb 10, 2010
Are Wallace and Prince the answer? Probably not. Is Hunt going to help? Absolutely not from what I've seen of him in about, what, 50 games now?

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
How many of those at halfback? 3?

wonder how good Lockyer would've been after 50 games if Bennett made him a bench hooker...

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
How many of those at halfback? 3?

wonder how good Lockyer would've been after 50 games if Bennett made him a bench hooker...

Yeah at least when Lockyer was on the bench he played at either fullback or in the halves when he came on positions he was well suited for, on the otherhand Hunt has rarely ever been allowed to play in the halves and when he has his actually shown a lot more then he has in as a replacement for McCollough. His development as a player has suffered as a result of this and if his to have any chance of salvaging a longterm career from it his either going to have to have the Broncos wake up and give him a real chance in the halves or go to a club thats willing to actually give him a go, personally if the Broncos aren't prepared then good luck to him at the Knights or another club that wants to give him that chance.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah at least when Lockyer was on the bench he played at either fullback or in the halves when he came on positions he was well suited for, on the otherhand Hunt has rarely ever been allowed to play in the halves and when he has his actually shown a lot more then he has in as a replacement for McCollough. His development as a player has suffered as a result of this and if his to have any chance of salvaging a longterm career from it his either going to have to have the Broncos wake up and give him a real chance in the halves or go to a club thats willing to actually give him a go, personally if the Broncos aren't prepared then good luck to him at the Knights or another club that wants to give him that chance.

Exactly. It's ignorant to write hunt off. He hasn't had an opportunity.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
Surely though, if we intend to keep him, he has to get a fair crack at the halfback spot.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
The only way Hunt will get a chance in the halves is if at least 1 half gets injured or suspended imo and even then I would back Norman going into the halves, to make it certain I reckon it would take two, Griffin will persist with the current spine until his absolutely forced to change it, his pre season speech about no one being a certainty was rubbish. We need results and if that takes giving Hunt a chance then quite frankly I'm all for it.

Last edited:
Meat77

Meat77

NRL Player
Feb 10, 2010
Please. I don't care if he got picked at prop every week. If he was the gun player he gets made out to be at times he would have shown SOMETHING during his career.

Seriously if he goes to another club and makes it big I'm happy to eat humble pie, but don't tell me he hasn't had opportunity to win a permanent spot in the team. Plenty of players started a career on the bench and out of position and got where they wanted through raw talent - it ain't gonna happen for him

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Hooker isn't halfback. He's not a fat **** like Joey so can't handle the defence.

Peter Wallace has had opportunity after opportunity and has shown nothing. Nothing at all.

Meat77

Meat77

NRL Player
Feb 10, 2010
Why is this about Wallace though? My point is Hunt doesn't deserve another contract with the Broncos.

It's a separate discussion whether Wallace does or not but I think we are all thinking along the same lines there

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Please. I don't care if he got picked at prop every week. If he was the gun player he gets made out to be at times he would have shown SOMETHING during his career.

Seriously if he goes to another club and makes it big I'm happy to eat humble pie, but don't tell me he hasn't had opportunity to win a permanent spot in the team. Plenty of players started a career on the bench and out of position and got where they wanted through raw talent - it ain't gonna happen for him

No one here is saying Ben Hunt is a gun player, its going to take more then him to turn things around and certainly not me and Coxy are making him to be something his not, however what exactly what has Wallace dished out since his been at the club that doesn't warrant Hunt a chance? Outside of his conversions Prince has delivered jackshit and a total liability defensively and neither are being pressured to perform when stated otherwise by the coach that wasn't to be the case and when their only true competition are either playing fullback or off the bench it hardly sends a message to these players to step up.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Why is this about Wallace though? My point is Hunt doesn't deserve another contract with the Broncos.

It's a separate discussion whether Wallace does or not but I think we are all thinking along the same lines there

Actually when your discussing player contracts it does concern other players, particularly ones who have been given ample opportunities to prove themselves and fallen short and are paid a lot more and not delivering on that.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
It's about Wallace because he's stood in front of hunt getting a spot in the halves. Norman to a lesser extent.

Could hunt be better? Who knows. He certainly has more natural talent.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
And you wont see his real potential if your not willing to give him a chance, even if its not at the expense of Wallace, Prince rather, at least it sends a message that no ones position is safe, I'd rather that then sending a message its ok to dish out the same crap each week.

Meat77

Meat77

NRL Player
Feb 10, 2010
Well looking at it objectively Wallace has been in front of Hunt because he has shown (sparingly) that he is a regular first grade player. If even go as far to say he richly deserved his origin berth years ago - his form has dive bombed since then.

Fact is Hunt has not shown anything like Wallace's talent even giving him some leeway for playing out of position, which is about as damning an assessment as I can give

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Hunt gets promoted for a week, doesn't set up 10 tries, back to bench hooker.

Norman plays what, every game last year at five eighth like a dog turd.

Wallace provides mediocrity for 6 seasons...automatic selection...

Meat77

Meat77

NRL Player
Feb 10, 2010
And if all three players weren't at the club next year I'd be happy. But if I had to pick one to stay it'd be Wallace

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Well looking at it objectively Wallace has been in front of Hunt because he has shown (sparingly) that he is a regular first grade player. If even go as far to say he richly deserved his origin berth years ago - his form has dive bombed since then.

Fact is Hunt has not shown anything like Wallace's talent even giving him some leeway for playing out of position, which is about as damning an assessment as I can give

Objectively Wallace was given a chance to develop correctly at the Panthers, Hunt on the otherhand wasn't even given the opportunity to develop from the Under 20's to the Queensland Cup at a time he showed real potential, instead of correctly developing him through the Queensland Cup in the position his best suited they instead rushed him into first grade into a position that wasn't best suited for him and that can have an impact on a players development. The difference between Wallace and Hunt is this, Wallace hasn't improved since joining the club and for the money his commanding I expect a lot more from him then I would Hunt or even Norman and Fourex knows my feelings on him lol, Hunt has shown promise when he has played in the halves and warrants an opportunity to show his wares there, if he fails to deliver fine, but I'd rather see him given an opportunity then continue the same path that for years now has delivered squat.

Unread

Active Now

• Broncs1459
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.