Let the off season review begin

Horsebreath and K.Haas would be a nice start but actually even before that, clean out our recruitment and retention committee, they’ve been trash for years now. Why haven’t we made any even depth signings for next year? Why are we letting Walsh, Staggs, Willison and Mozer get to free agency yet again?

What i reckon is holding it up is I dont think we have the cap room to negotiate to keep all of them tbh. I reckon Reece is looking for about $1.3 million a year. Staggs probably up there at around $800k and with what Mozer has seen us offer ordinary young players he probably wants more money than he deserves as well.

I'm trying to be positive and hope that new assistant coaches will start to turn us around...

For me our biggest problems are our defence and ball handling. Our defence is passive and barely moves off the line and allows the attackers to make easy meters before they hit our defensive line. We then for some reason have the first defender always go high who is then carried 2-3 meters before the next defender arrives and this is often followed by the attacker being allowed to stay on his feet for a quick play the ball. This must be a coaching thing as Mozer was tackling low in his first few games but is now going high when he is the first tackler making his defence nowhere near as effective. I believe Cartwright is the defensive coach and it's not like success follows him around as a coach so hopefully him leaving and a new defensive coach will have our players tackling low and getting the attacker on the ground and on their backs like the good defending teams do.

On our ball handling we must make more unforced errors than any other team? The amount of time we put the ball down cold with no attackers around is just staggering. Maybe it's time to go back to basics where players are coached to not only time their run but also simple things like to turn their body towards the ball when receiving it which subconsciously makes them focus on catching the ball instead of taking a peek at the defenders.

I am worried by Reynolds form. His kicking game in general play has dropped off and most teams have worked out that he isn't a threat with the ball and he is drifting sideways looking for runners which are now getting easily contained. Langer, Cleary, Moses etc all take the line on and straighten before passing which is something Reynolds has stopped doing.

Both our first pick second rowers are struggling. Piakura is putting in the effort so maybe his defensive and ball handling lapses can be improved by coaching but Riki looks like he is avoiding hard contact. His stutter just before the line in attack means he is at nearly walking pace when he hits the line and he rarely hits in defence.

Our recruitment is just terrible and how we ended up with 3 hookers and duds like Baker on our books is just a mind boggling salary cap disaster. I don't know whats happened to Cobbo but maybe it's best for both him and the club if he's told he can look elsewhere.

wonder if we could offer shaun Johnson a small contract to come train and be backup to Reynolds next season to the same capacity as what benji Marshall did a few years back. Reynolds will inevitably get injured and Shaun Johnson still has the skills as he showed last night.

wonder if we could offer shaun Johnson a small contract to come train and be backup to Reynolds next season to the same capacity as what benji Marshall did a few years back. Reynolds will inevitably get injured and Shaun Johnson still has the skills as he showed last night.
Ridiculous suggestion mate. Seriously horrible

Our recruitment is just terrible and how we ended up with 3 hookers and duds like Baker on our books is just a mind boggling salary cap disaster. I don't know whats happened to Cobbo but maybe it's best for both him and the club if he's told he can look elsewhere.
4 hookers, one who got offside with the coach somehow, the undroppable Coach's son, one a good Cup standard workhorse, and and rising star who was clearly being held back until it was too late to recover the season.

To add insult, we let an Origin standard utility in Plath go to the Dolphins.

We should have had Mozer starting with Plath on the bench. Two of Walters, Smoothy and Paix were surplus to needs.

Desperate times, we’re all in on Coby black I guess. There’s still jocks madden too.
Madden - zero chance of being our future - has knocked back offers from the ESL reportedly. How did our roster get this dysfunctional?

Least it’s not as bad as the Eels capitulation of ‘23 or the Roosters of ‘15!!

Sam burgess would be a good addition to the coaching ranks.
Was a broncs fan as a youngster, doesn’t put up with complacent entitlement BS, as shown by what happened around his departure from souffs..
Solid connection with Arey..
Madge / Burgess even better..
Burgess won't happen from what I understand he will be working under Bennett at souths after he is done in the UK with a view to take over once Bennett is done

He’s got one more in him. A good coach would get what they need out of him and have a functioning supporting cast around him.

He`s not a running threat .
Throws passes on the ground , kicks out on the full .But he can still tackle .
Give him another 3 years !

Burgess won't happen from what I understand he will be working under Bennett at souths after he is done in the UK with a view to take over once Bennett is done
100% cobber. Things certainly looking on the up at Redfern next year and beyond.

But anyway back to youse blokes, read in the Tele this morning Buzz has confirmed an unnamed NRL coach has had a relationship breakdown with the senior players of his team. Geez, wonder 'who' this might be. No idea lol.

Yeah, no idea who though. Probably should’ve tried to trade Cobbo for Holmes.

I honestly happily trade Mariner, Piakaura, Cobbo for some 28 year olds with far lower peaks.

The roster is a mess.
Would've been a big no to Holmes, he wouldn't have been the answer.

100% cobber. Things certainly looking on the up at Redfern next year and beyond.

But anyway back to youse blokes, read in the Tele this morning Buzz has confirmed an unnamed NRL coach has had a relationship breakdown with the senior players of his team. Geez, wonder 'who' this might be. No idea lol.
More likely to be the Knights imo they have been giving all the senior players the tap bar ponga

Sam burgess would be a good addition to the coaching ranks.
Was a broncs fan as a youngster, doesn’t put up with complacent entitlement BS, as shown by what happened around his departure from souffs..
Solid connection with Arey..
Madge / Burgess even better..

Sam and Reece .
Mentorship ? LOL .

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Scorchie
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Santa
  • Dexter
  • Jason Simmons
  • Fitzy
  • Allo
  • Mustafur
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • FACTHUNT
  • Johnny92
  • marw
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Pablo
  • The True King
  • Skyblues87
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.