NEWS Lodge injury

I haven’t read that article, care to share? You are completely going off the deep end btw.

Haven't read which article? Here are the two articles. The first one is his original comments, the second is one where he sets the record straight for the numpties who just decided to read one line and get back on their bash Boyd bandwagon again. I dont think comes across as being

https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-le...ance-in-hell-of-relocating-to-sydney-c-976054

I'm not going off the deep end either. Its pathetic having a pop at Boyd for not wanting to be away from his family for 4 months. You are one of the people saying he should retire if he doesnt want to go down there after he has said he will if it comes to that. Whats the point in even bringing it up in the first place? You and others are now having a go at him for saying he will do what you want him to do 🙄
[automerge]1587773934[/automerge]
honestly id rather someone playing that has every intention of playing every game if worse case scenario happens and they are there for the whole duration of the comp combination wise.hell he doesnt even have to retire sit at home collect your money cant really spend it this year anyway.
for me it is less about boyd more what would be better for the side.

I dont think he isnt committed, but 4 months is a long time to be away from your family. He wont be the only player ( and i know some who are saying behind closed doors what he is saying in public ) who wont be keen on moving for that long. He cant do anything really until the NRL finalise anything, but he has made his position clear on what he will do in the worst case scenario for him and i dont think you can really ask anymore from him.

Last edited:
I am. I hadn’t heard that he would officially retire, hence asking for the article. The point in bringing it up was that I wasn’t already aware. Comprende?

So you have been making comments having a pop at him regarding the situation but you didnt know the full story? Should probably have read them first.

I think on this occasion people are having a go at him for nothing. Its not justified like it was over his performances last year.

RE Boyd, its off that hes already talking about retiring pre lockdown. Its his final season - hes taken the piss on the field the previous two, his commitment level in the final year should be 150% above the others. If he cannot deal with 4 months - hand in his contract now and walk away - because that attitude doesnt benefit the team what so ever, irrelevant if its currently 1 or 4 months. The reason being is that we wont know completely until about 1 month in, exactly what will happen for the remaining 3 months!

Haven't read which article? Here are the two articles. The first one is his original comments, the second is one where he sets the record straight for the numpties who just decided to read one line and get back on their bash Boyd bandwagon again. I dont think comes across as being

https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-le...ance-in-hell-of-relocating-to-sydney-c-976054

I'm not going off the deep end either. Its pathetic having a pop at Boyd for not wanting to be away from his family for 4 months. You are one of the people saying he should retire if he doesnt want to go down there after he has said he will if it comes to that. Whats the point in even bringing it up in the first place? You and others are now having a go at him for saying he will do what you want him to do 🙄
[automerge]1587773934[/automerge]

I dont think he isnt committed, but 4 months is a long time to be away from your family. He wont be the only player ( and i know some who are saying behind closed doors what he is saying in public ) who wont be keen on moving for that long. He cant do anything really until the NRL finalise anything, but he has made his position clear on what he will do in the worst case scenario for him and i dont think you can really ask anymore from him.
Boyd was asked the question and without pausing to consider what a decision like that might mean for others, flat out rejected the notion.

So I think what people have a problem with is how inconsiderate and short-sighted he came across.

If every player shared his position, no one would play and the game would just dissolve into nothingness for 2020. Beyond 2020 it might survive a catastrophic blow to revenue like that, but it also might not.

What some people fail to recognise (and it appears Boyd is one of them) is; no NRL, no NRL players. It’s all good and well to say you’ll sail off into the sunset, but you're probably (and should be if you have your head screwed on) financially stable enough to do that when you're in your early to mid 30’s with more than a decade behind you of earning a very, very handsome income.

But stop to consider; if every player shared his view, what might happen to the fringe first graders or the relative rookies that don’t have a lengthy, high-paying career behind them?

If the NRL collapses; what happens to all the support staff at the NRL and clubs? What happens to the clubs themselves? What about the thousands of people who work at the grounds on weekends, drive trains, Ubers, taxis? The accommodation providers? The list goes on and on.

Further down the line, what happens to the QRL and the NSWRL?

Boyd says it’s never been about him, but also says something that indicates he is only really considering how it would affect him.

TLDR; pulling the pin on the season does not affect just one person. The ripple effect could be immeasurable. I think that’s why people (some at least) have a problem with Boyd’s comments.

Last edited:
Boyd was asked the question and without pausing to consider what a decision like that might mean for others, flat out rejected the notion.

So I think what people have a problem with is how inconsiderate and short-sighted he came across.

If every player shared his position, no one would play and the game would just dissolve into nothingness for 2020. Beyond 2020 it might survive a catastrophic blow to revenue like that, but it also might not.

What some people fail to recognise (and it appears Boyd is one of them) is; no NRL, no NRL players. It’s all good and well to say you’ll sail off into the sunset, but you're probably (and should be if you have your head screwed on) financially stable enough to do that when you're in your early to mid 30’s with more than a decade behind you of earning a very, very handsome income.

But stop to consider; if every player shared his view, what might happen to the fringe first graders or the relative rookies that don’t have a lengthy, high-paying career behind them?

If the NRL collapses; what happens to all the support staff at the NRL and clubs? What happens to the clubs themselves? What about the thousands of people who work at the grounds on weekends, drive trains, Ubers, taxis? The accommodation providers? The list goes on and on.

Boyd says it’s never been about him, but also says something that indicates he is only really considering how it would affect him.

TLDR; pulling the pin on the season does not affect just one person. The ripple effect could be immeasurable. I think that’s why people (some at least) have a problem with Boyd’s comments.

Boyd didn't have to pause to consider the question ... he would have been thinking about it for a long time ... it's not like this reporter, during this interview is the very first time this possibility was ever raised.

the other thing that seriously needs to be considered with Boyd is is history of mental health issues ... him leaving his support network for a long period of time to into isolation so he can entertain the masses is not only foolish but potentially DANGEROUS for Boyd

I’ve got no problem with him not wanting to leave his family for that long just hope he makes his mind up before the comp restarts

I'd say its been talked about privately way before he got asked by a journalist. It wouldnt have been a spur of the moment thing he said.

No matter how you dress it up, its scapegoating Boyd. If Payne Haas said the same thing, barely anyone would make a comment. Again, you and others are simply looking at one comment he has made about how he wouldnt go to Sydney for four months. If they reported the headline " Darius Boyd - We all want to get back as soon as possible and play footy " ( a direct quote from one of the articles ) this debate wouldnt even be happening.

You say what if every player thought the same as Darius, but what if they dont all think like Darius ( which they dont ) You cant make assumptions on what would happen if every player didnt want to go down there because no two people are the same and have the same life experiences and backgrounds. No choice is right or wrong in this situation. What works for Darius isnt going to work for Jake Turpin. I'm sure very few people would have any ill feeling towards Joffa for example if he decides going into lockdown at this moment in his life, so why should they have any ill feeling towards Darius for it either. Its only become an issue because it Darius Boyd.
[automerge]1587781820[/automerge]
I’ve got no problem with him not wanting to leave his family for that long just hope he makes his mind up before the comp restarts

I think he will once we get the details of how its happening.

Last edited:
For me, being away from family for 4 months is far from ideal, but is a sacrifice I would be willing to make - I know this because I did it. Interestingly enough, it was not part of the job that I signed up for, but proposed to me after years in the job. The key is that I wasn't told I had to do it, it was entirely my choice.
I have no problem with Lodge saying he would make any sacrifice to play again, and I have no problem with Boyd saying he wouldn't isolate for 4 months just to play. They are different people with different needs in very different stages of their career. In fact, those 2 responses is what I would expect each of those guys to say.
The difficulty comes in if a younger player, not on the verge of retirement, doesn't want to do it. How would a club handle that?

Last edited:
Boyd is the worst player in the squad, so it's truly a blessing

This Boyd bashing is getting absolutley pathetic. A throw away line from Lodge and a snippet of a Boyd quote that used accurately and all of a sudden Boyd's the devil again. Lodge is happy to move back to the state he and his partner, and all their families come from, but a Queenslander doesnt want to spend 4 months away from his family in NSW and he cops it. Darius has already said if its going to be 4 months he will retire so i dont see the issue and why people are coming out with this " just retire already " bullshit. That part is being conveniently ignored just to stick the boot in again.
Hey .. I never said he was evil or anything. If you check my post I said regardless if you agree with Boyd or not, the contrast in his v Lodge's opinion was quite on the nose.. imo Lodge made that point specifically to state his opinion due to the attitude Boyd had. I thought it stuck out that he wanted to counter it publically

Only a game he has been paid pretty well for.some might even say it has been a job for him.

Only a game he has been paid pretty well for.some might even say it has been a job for him.

and if he had said "It's just a job" instead of "it's just a game" then people would be in this thread calling him a greedy SOB who is only in it for the money

Maybe🙂
Game has been pretty good to him over the years and probably will continue to do so even after he stops playing when ever that might be.

If he said it’s how life to him or is everything to him, people would say well then he should play like he means it. He can’t win in this instance.

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  • Dash
  • Aldo
  • lynx000
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Broncosarethebest
  • marw
  • RolledOates
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.