"Milf will be like Locky" - Bennett

Gus definately said he should be fullback and then they compared him to Lockyer and hiw Locky was 26, a QLD and Aust regular and had played nearly 200 first grade games before he made the switch.

Gus Gould also thinks Anthony Griffin did a great job at the Broncos and can't understand why he was flicked.

So.. in your opinion Milford is not going to improve much at Five-Eighth in the next 3 seasons, and the only way he's going to be a good player is if he plays at Fullback?

Boy, you Anti-Bennett guys really are irrational.

No I'm not saying that at all ... What i am saying is that he is not a great 5/8 right now ... But he is a great fullback.

He may become a great 5/8, but somay Taylor. No one knows what will happen in 3 years. Your making out like it is a certainty he will be a great 5/8 in 3 years time.

What i do know is that right now his greatest asset is his running game, similar to guys like Inglis and Slater ... And i don't think either of them would make a great 5/8.

In fact Taylor probably has a better passing and kicking game than Milford does. Plus more likely a better feel for the position as he has been regularly playing in the halves.

You pro-Bennett guys are just as irrational as we are ... Hell Bennett could have selected Hoffman as 5/8 and you would be applauding the decision

No I'm not saying that at all ... What i am saying is that he is not a great 5/8 right now ... But he is a great fullback.

He may become a great 5/8, but somay Taylor. No one knows what will happen in 3 years. Your making out like it is a certainty he will be a great 5/8 in 3 years time.

What i do know is that right now his greatest asset is his running game, similar to guys like Inglis and Slater ... And i don't think either of them would make a great 5/8.

In fact Taylor probably has a better passing and kicking game than Milford does. Plus more likely a better feel for the position as he has been regularly playing in the halves.

You pro-Bennett guys are just as irrational as we are ... Hell Bennett could have selected Hoffman as 5/8 and you would be applauding the decision

too far tbh

Bennett could personally ask me to applaud his decision of Hoffman at 5/8 and I'd still bag it.

Milford comparisons with Lockyer don't seem right to me. If anyone, Milford reminds me of Hayne. He's a great, elusive ball runner who throws a great pass and importantly is good at making the right choice between going himself and passing it, just like Milford. Hayne played a fair few games at five-eight and was okay, but only ever excelled at fullback.

In fact Taylor probably has a better passing and kicking game than Milford does.

So now Taylor has a better kicking and passing game than Milford, and what are you basing this off? A couple of NYC games televised?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So.. in your opinion Milford is not going to improve much at Five-Eighth in the next 3 seasons, and the only way he's going to be a good player is if he plays at Fullback?

Boy, you Anti-Bennett guys really are irrational.

Is this really anti-Bennett irrationalism? I thought Milford was recruited as 5/8 before Bennett, and Bennett cherry picked Boyd for FB, despite Milford's terrific performances at FB. It's almost like Bennett' main interest was to get Boyd to play FB no matter what.

My problem with that is that Milford's best form was at FB, end of story. So we miss out on that for, as the thinking seems to be in the posts so far, 3 seasons till Milford hits his straps at 5/8.

That's a long time to wait. That's irrational for mine.

But then who knows, Milf might come good next week. Fingers crossed and foot is tapping.

At the same time, like a few others here, I'd also rather have seen Ash Taylor - as one example, have a go in the halves but the Broncos tradition of ultra conservatism in blooding young players goes against that.

Just watched the Roosters flog the Cows. We are in for a long, long season. The difference between them and us is daylight, especially in the way their halves played and despite my distaste for Pearce and Maloney. Amazing what a good halves combination, and a reasonable 5/8 makes.

Last edited:
Is this really anti-Bennett?

Every single thing that these guys post in relation to Milford or Boyd is Anti-Bennett.

Back on topic though..

With Milford at Five-Eighth & Boyd at Fullback, the idea is that we're developing Milford at Five-Eighth whilst we have 2 other representative level spine players to ease the transition, Hunt & Boyd should be in the prime of their careers for the next 3 seasons or so, meaning that there shouldn't be immense pressure on Milford to progress to Lockyer level instantly, it'll likely take him a full season, maybe even two to fully get accustomed to the role and develop his kicking and passing game. At which point we'll have prime Hunt, prime Milford, prime Boyd and potentially a few more high-tier players (Depending on how Wayne does with recruiting and retention)

It looks to me like it's the good old "3 year plan" with this roster and this composition of line-up, Wayne isn't just throwing Milford at Fullback this season to try and scrape together a couple of extra wins and maybe finish 6th instead of 8th.. We're working towards 2016 & 2017 with this line-up, and you guys are going to be thankful that he did when it eventually clicks.

fin

And if it doesn't click, we've just wasted 3 of the best years of one of the best talents the game has ever seen by trying to turn him into a half. Then we don't have a 5/8th, and we have a fatter more worn out Milford who hasn't played fullback for 3 years, and a 30-31 year old Boyd, and Bennett retiring.

At least one of those is a plus.

Last edited:

A fair enough statement .....

Limited time watching Taylor but from what I have seen, I'd disagree. Milford can throw a pass.....and IMO has an under rated kicking game that at the moment is rusty and going through some confidence issues.

I'm neither pro or anti when it comes to WB.....but no. Just no. No-one in their right mind would happy seeing that after watching Hoffman crash and burn last year.

S am Thaiday just said on the Sunday Footy Show that there were doubts about whether Milf will stay at 5/8 and that there is likely to be shuffling around for next week. H e also spoke of how electrifying milf was at FB last year. Sam seemed very doubtful that Milf would stay at 5/8. The language was very interesting.

I didn't catch it, can you maybe context his words? Did he say that he had doubts about Milford at Five-Eighth, or the Broncos in general?

How does that in any way dispute what I said? He said he's always loved the halves? Where did he say that he wanted to be playing in the halves NOW? Even last year he said that IN THE FUTURE he would like to move to the halves, when he is bigger and more mature.

Bennett told him he's playing in the halves, so saying he wants to cement the spot doesn't mean that he wanted to play in the halves already.

I found Sam Thaiday's comments very very interesting. It did seem like perhaps there's a possibility that the Broncos are contemplating moving Milford to fullback, but Thaiday was being careful with what he said. If that were the case, I'd personally be over the moon.

Thaiday's seems to be of the opinion, much like the rest of us, that Milford is better suited at fullback. However sadly I doubt Bennett will make such alterations to the team after 1 game, especially after Milford spent the whole pre season at five-eighth.

How does that in any way dispute what I said? He said he's always loved the halves? Where did he say that he wanted to be playing in the halves NOW? Even last year he said that IN THE FUTURE he would like to move to the halves, when he is bigger and more mature.

Bennett told him he's playing in the halves, so saying he wants to cement the spot doesn't mean that he wanted to play in the halves already.

Lol shut up. If I said I love cookies, and was offered one right now do you think I would want it ? Just because he hasn't said the exact words you stated doesn't make it less true. Learn to admit when your wrong mate.

It would be extremely counter-intuitive to move Milford to Fullback at this stage, A because Boyd will be playing Fullback when he returns, so we'd only be stunting Milfords growth at Five-Eighth, and B because him and Hunt trained in the halves all pre-season

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • winslow_wong
  • theshed
  • FACTHUNT
  • marw
  • Harry Sack
  • Financeguy
  • Sproj
  • Morkel
  • ivanhungryjak
  • mrtij
  • Browny
  • whykickamoocow
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Swordfish
  • mrslong
  • Scorchie
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • IceWorks
... and 36 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.