CROSS FORUM NRL Grand Final Discussion

Damn Penrith are good.
Bunker to be blown up and rebuilt completely. Absolutely inexcusable decision.

I will always enjoy a good Melbourne Storm defeat.

Remember that Cameron Munster turned down 1.5M at the Dolphins for far less at Melbourne in a clear case of cap cheating.

These guys are scummier then anything Penrith do.
How are they getting away with this shit. Fucking unreal. They aren't even hiding it either.

Yea Cam is the only player who can honestly hold Cleary out of the number one spot but it’s purely based on longevity at this point. At some stage though, this level of success outweighs longevity - though Cleary may even out do Cam on longevity
Yep I agree but I do think he's gotta dominate at rep level for multiple years to reach Smith. Some people say he's gotta dominate an Origin series but he's already done that imo, 2021 was total domination. Now he's gotta rack up the wins. At this stage if I'm picking an NRL side from scratch Smith is my first pick and Cleary #2, but it's crazy that he could well take the top spot given Smith was easily the greatest player i'd seen when he retired. Also quite possible Cleary's best is still yet to come which is nuts.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241006_225055 (1).jpg
    Screenshot_20241006_225055 (1).jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 22
Who's going to OPSM?

Watching the footage rather than a still, you can clearly see the white of the Steeden disappear behind some blades of grass.

Absolute joke of a decision, and I dare anyone to call me an apologist for fucking Melbourne.

It was a war of attrition and in the end, Penrith proved they're without a doubt the most dominant force the game has ever seen. Even against the former juggernauts in Bellamy's Melbourne, they were a clear level above despite a gallant effort from the Storm.

For the Panthers, it was largely the same story we've seen before. They're so effective at playing through their set and nobody has yet to figure out how to stop the roll on. The one change was Nathan Cleary who all things considered, was unlucky not to receive a third CC medal considering he made 28 runs, 30 tackles and 18 kicks to go with his 72 touches of the footy. We normally don't see Cleary touch the ball so often and while it didn't result in any line-breaks it just kept things rolling for the Panthers.

Melbourne too were obsessed with Cleary, so much so, they targeted that side relentlessly. It did pay dividends early when Grant went over after Martin couldn't make the second effort but it was a rare blemish. Not only did Cleary make 30 odd tackles, but Tago made 37 just to show how much Melbourne went after Cleary and were hell-bent to make that inside play to Coates work.

Penrith were better across the park, but I'd say the forwards proved the biggest difference. Particularly in the middle, Yeo had a field day with Melbourne whereas the Storm rarely made any inroads and were found wanting. The loss of Asofa-Solomona didn't help but I think it's just a limatation of the side. Loiero has come a long way, but he clearly pales in comparison to Yeo who appears to be modelling his game after.

That's where Utoikamanu could be a major asset. Difficult to imagine that the Storm will gain a player of Stefano's calibre without losing anyone of notoriety. I still see plenty of improvement in them and would not be shocked to see them in the mix.

Meanwhile Penrith say farewell to Luai, Fisher-Harris & Turuva. Ordinarily losing players of that calibre would spell the end of the dynasty but Penrith are so unbelievable that they'll likely saddle for their fifth straight premiership. In Edwards, To'o, Cleary, Leota, Martin, Yeo they have such a strong core and if the likes of Smith and co. keep developing it's difficult picturing the Canterburys, Cronullas etc. improving enough to challenge them.

Unread

Active Now

• Locky24
  • I bleed Maroon
  • MaroubraBroncos
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Dee
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • bazza
  • Galah
  • Redux
  • Behind enemy lines
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.