[OFFICIAL] Anthony Milford to Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well someone is bluffing in terms of the clause in his contract.

Ayoub says they must release him, Raiders say it has to be mutual.

and I tend to believe that one of the games top (and sliest) player managers wouldn't put a clause in a players that stated the clause would be mutual. That makes absolutely no sense and completely cancels out the point of having the clause in the first place.

I think it is the wording of the clause that matters.

Ayoub believes that the release conditions have been met, the Raiders don't.

it relates to the Health of Anthonys fathers (as has basically been said by both sides, it seems to be the one thing they agree on.), then if it says something about deterioration of his fathers health, he can be released (most likely by providing a medical certificate), but his father has actually improved (but not fully recovered) the conditions haven't been met and the Raiders have every right not to release him.

But if it says something like if Anthonys father has not (fully) recovered (once again medical certificate likely to be required), then that is a different story, and the Raiders may not have a choice but to release Milford.

It is all in the clauses wording ... no-one outside of Milford, his manager, probably his family and the Raiders management know for sure.

Personally, i don't think the clause fully backs either party or it would have surely been leaked to the media by now, if it backed one of them 100%

Last edited:
I think it is the wording of the clause that matters.

Ayoub believes that the release conditions have been met, the Raiders don't.

it relates to the Health of Anthonys fathers (as has basically been said by both sides, it seems to be the one thing they agree on.), then if it says something about deterioration of his fathers health, he can be released (most likely by providing a medical certificate), but his father has actually improved (but not fully recovered) the conditions haven't been met and the Raiders have every right not to release him.

But if it says something like if Anthonys father has not (fully) recovered (once again medical certificate likely to be required), then that is a different story, and the Raiders may not have a choice but to release Milford.

It is all in the clauses wording ... no-one outside of Milford, his manager, probably his family and the Raiders management know for sure.

Personally, i don't think the clause fully backs either party or it would have surely been leaked to the media by now, if it backed one of them 100%

It it will be very interesting. I can't see it going to court though.

And who defines what is considered 'deteriorated'. Or can it be he's getting better but requires more/a greater amount of medical treatment to keep getting better.

The wording of the clause can be argued. So much grey area in contract law.
There is a difference between implied terms and expressed terms in the contract/clause.

The deterioration could refer to the burden of looking after his father being greater than they (Anthony and his family) anticipated.

what will the Raiders do if Ayoub gets a medical certificate that states "Halo Milford is receiving ongoing treatment for a heart condition". then they say to the NRL "we've activated Anthony's clause, provided medical certificates, and signed with the Broncos".

Anyone who has had to get a medical certificate for work knows that once you pay the $70, the GP basically writes anything.

Last edited:
It it will be very interesting. I can't see it going to court though.

And who defines what is considered 'deteriorated'. Or can it be he's getting better but requires more/a greater amount of medical treatment to keep getting better.

The wording of the clause can be argued. So much grey area in contract law.
There is a difference between implied terms and expressed terms in the contract/clause.

The deterioration could refer to the burden of looking after his father being greater than they (Anthony and his family) anticipated.

what will the Raiders do if Ayoub gets a medical certificate that states "Halo Milford is receiving ongoing treatment for a heart condition". then they say to the NRL "we've activated Anthony's clause, provided medical certificates, and signed with the Broncos".

Anyone who has had to get a medical certificate for work knows that once you pay the $70, the GP basically writes anything.

This is all very true. Whether milford joins next year is completely up to him. If he signs for 2015 and says he needs to move back to Brisbane to be with his sick dad the clause will be irrelevant. The is no way in hell the NRL will make him sit out, it would be a PR nightmare. Headlines of 'NRL leave teenager destitute so he can be with his dying father' would be run daily

This is all very true. Whether milford joins next year is completely up to him. If he signs for 2015 and says he needs to move back to Brisbane to be with his sick dad the clause will be irrelevant. The is no way in hell the NRL will make him sit out, it would be a PR nightmare. Headlines of 'NRL leave teenager destitute so he can be with his dying father' would be run daily

Dave Smith has made it quite clear he wants the best players playing and staying in the NRL.

And Milford is developing quite the profile from his World Cup exposure.

If Ayoub calls Dave Smith and says, "look, we put a clause in Anthony's contract, he needs to go home, the Raiders won't co-operate. He's considering walking out on the NRL and joining the QLD Reds".

Something would get done.

Did anyone catch Channel 7 News tonight? Apparently during the sport report Webcke said " Broncos Anthony Milford had a man of the match performance..." Is the cat out of the bag??

Not only would the NRL likely support the Broncos in order to avert negative PR/losing Milf to the NRL, but I highly doubt it would ever get that far. The raiders would be stupid to risk going to court over it or even go to mediation or whatever the process is with the NRL.

If they win they get Milford for a year, get to say their toughening up about keeping star players to appease fans over the losses of Dugan Carney and Ferguson.

But management would have to be stupid to pursue that path considering they would get the services of a gun, yet developing player, for a single season and in return heaps of negative PR that will not only put large sections of the public offside but also a huge number of players particularly young guys weighing up whether they want to leave their families to sign a contract in Canberra.

Raiders management may struggle to find more then one brain call to rub together but ever they would realise its a lose-lose situation for them so at the end of the day it will be come down to what Milf wants to do. If they fail to sign him on an extended contract and he makes it clear he wants to return to Brisbane when he returns I HIGHLY doubt they wouldn't grant him a release.

Last edited:
Not only would the NRL likely support the Broncos in order to avert negative PR/losing Milf to the NRL, but I highly doubt it would ever get that far. The raiders would be stupid to risk going to court over it or even go to mediation or whatever the process is with the NRL.

If they win they get Milford for a year, get to say their toughening up about keeping star players to appease fans over the losses of Dugan Carney and Ferguson.

But management would have to be stupid to pursue that path considering they would get the services of a gun, yet developing player, for a single season and in return heaps of negative PR that will not only put large sections of the public offside but also a huge number of players particularly young guys weighing up whether they want to leave their families to sign a contract in Canberra.

Raiders management may struggle to find more then one brain call to rub together but ever they would realise its a lose-lose situation for them so at the end of the day it will be come down to what Milf wants to do. If they fail to sign him on an extended contract and he makes it clear he wants to return to Brisbane when he returns I HIGHLY doubt they wouldn't grant him a release.

Every time Don Furner or Ricky Stuart get asked about Milford and a release they say "no, we want to re-sign him".

The Raiders will be stubborn.

And i don't think they care much about PR at the moment.

If he ends up with us, Ricky Stuart will have ammo for why the Raiders suck next year, saying how all their best talent gets poached (When they actually just sack all their best talent).

It's funny listening to Stuart talk like he had some significant role in developing the Raiders juniors.

Every time Don Furner or Ricky Stuart get asked about Milford and a release they say "no, we want to re-sign him".

The Raiders will be stubborn.

And i don't think they care much about PR at the moment.

If he ends up with us, Ricky Stuart will have ammo for why the Raiders suck next year, saying how all their best talent gets poached (When they actually just sack all their best talent).

It's funny listening to Stuart talk like he had some significant role in developing the Raiders juniors.

As dopey as fans such as ourselves may make them out to be they could not possibly be so inept as to let the ego's/stubbornness get in the way.

It isn't up to the NRL to make such a demand on the Raiders or any club, it's between Milford and the Raiders, all the NRL can do is offer to mediate to keep it out of the courts, although I get the impression neither side will let it get that far. The NRL would be desperate to stay well out of it.

I think people are underestimating how big this whole saga has the potential to be.

Seeing as the Canberra offer to Milford that runs into the millions hasn't officially been confirmed by anybody, lets hypothesize that it is actually true. It is a testament to the stupidity, desperation and ineptness of the Canberra Raiders that they would be willing to set such a precedent.

A 19 year old player with less than a full season of first grade football under his belt in the same pay bracket as Johnathon Thurston. Just let that sink in for a minute. That is just obscene and irresponsible to not only throw that much pressure of expectation onto the back of a single player, let alone such a young and inexperienced one, but to also send a message to other juniors across the code that they can play 18 games of decent but not necessarily extraordinary footy and then can expect to be signed on to deals north of 500K a season.

It is common sense to expect that other clubs would not be so dumb as to replicate this behavior. The Broncs seemingly not willing to match Canberra's offer being testament enough to that, despite the fact both our 6 and 7 are effectively vacant (Hunt by no means has a monopoly on a halves position yet). What happens when other codes smell an opportunity to satisfy those over inflated expectations? The NRL loses more young talent by the tonne. The whole code could suffer as a result.

To be perfectly honest, if that dollar figure is real and on the table, I would not blame Milford at all for jumping on that opportunity like a cat on a ball of yarn. It would be a deeply short sighted and naive decision, but Milf is young and confident in his abilities. All he would see is the dollar signs and the potential pedigree that would earn him as a player for the rest of his career. He would not bat an eyelash at the amount of pressure he would be putting on himself.

As for where we stand, I would rather take a risk on Strasser and Hunt together than resort to such desperate measures. Canberra might have to find ways to bury the shittiness of both the club and the area in which it resides under a mountain of money but we don't, especially now that we're taking back our territory in Logan.

If Milf moves to Brissy, we get back on the right track with some optimistic young talent while Canberra maintain their status quo as a hemorrhaging club. If Milf accepts Canberra's offer, they piss away their whole salary cap, the media has something to talk about for a few weeks, we go back to trying to solve our halves crisis and the whole arrangement at Canberra eventually ends in tears.

Last edited:
As dopey as fans such as ourselves may make them out to be they could not possibly be so inept as to let the ego's/stubbornness get in the way.

This is Sticky we're talking about, common sense doesn't have much of a say in his world.

I think people are underestimating how big this whole saga has the potential to be.

Seeing as the Canberra offer to Milford that runs into the millions hasn't officially been confirmed by anybody, lets hypothesize that it is actually true. It is a testament to the stupidity, desperation and ineptness of the Canberra Raiders that they would be willing to set such a precedent.

A 19 year old player with less than a full season of first grade football under his belt in the same pay bracket as Johnathon Thurston. Just let that sink in for a minute. That is just obscene and irresponsible to not only throw that much pressure of expectation onto the back of a single player, let alone such a young and inexperienced one, but to also send a message to other juniors across the code that they can play 18 games of decent but not necessarily extraordinary footy and then can expect to be signed on to deals north of 500K a season.

It is common sense to expect that other clubs would not be so dumb as to replicate this behavior. The Broncs seemingly not willing to match Canberra's offer being testament enough to that, despite the fact both our 6 and 7 are effectively vacant (Hunt by no means has a monopoly on a halves position yet). What happens when other codes smell an opportunity to satisfy those over inflated expectations? The NRL loses more young talent by the tonne. The whole code could suffer as a result.

To be perfectly honest, if that dollar figure is real and on the table, I would not blame Milford at all for jumping on that opportunity like a cat on a ball of yarn. It would be a deeply short sighted and naive decision, but Milf is young and confident in his abilities. All he would see is the dollar signs and the potential pedigree that would earn him as a player for the rest of his career. He would not bat an eyelash at the amount of pressure he would be putting on himself.

As for where we stand, I would rather take a risk on Strasser and Hunt together than resort to such desperate measures. Canberra might have to find ways to bury the shittiness of both the club and the area in which it resides under a mountain of money but we don't, especially now that we're taking back our territory in Logan.

If Milf moves to Brissy, we get back on the right track with some optimistic young talent while Canberra maintain their status quo as a hemorrhaging club. If Milf accepts Canberra's offer, they piss away their whole salary cap, the media has something to talk about for a few weeks, we go back to trying to solve our halves crisis and the whole arrangement at Canberra eventually ends in tears.

The truth is, a lot of young players can't handle the pressure and having that much money.

Milford has already been in trouble for drinking before the Warriors game and "couldn't handle the pressure".

How many times do we see young talent go off the rails from partying, gambling, drugs, poor decisions, especially in Canberra.

He obviously has some desire to move home, be with his friends, family and girlfriend, or he never would have asked for the release.

Using money to keep a player somewhere he doesn't want to be is very dangerous for Milford's Career.

Again, the players revolted against Furner and Ferguson for favourable treatment. As if they're not going to be pissed about him earning that much.

What's Milford worth in 3 years after the $1m contract is up? He's hardly going to want to take a massive pay cut.

I thought $350k was pretty generous for him. Given he's only played 18 games.

DCE: premiership winner, QLD and Australian rep = $500k

Milford: 18 NRL games = $1000k

As he plays more games, the good coaches will figure out how to best nullify his game and he'll have to adapt.

You're right, I'd rather take a gamble on a Hunt/Strasser/Taylor/Barba halves pairing, than commit that kind of coin.

People, please do not underestimate Ricky Stuarts stupidity.

People, please do not underestimate Ricky Stuarts stupidity.

I'm just so happy that people are catching on. Mark my words though, regardless of what happens, Ricky will have ample excuses on why they'll fail next year:

Scenario 1, they lose Milford. "We lost our best & most promising player to a nasty rival club who cares not for developing their own".

Scenario 2, they keep Milford. "We have to spend big money just to keep the talent that we ourselves developed. Therefore we can't afford to buy a roster full of superstars like some other clubs".

I'm just so happy that people are catching on. Mark my words though, regardless of what happens, Ricky will have ample excuses on why they'll fail next year:

Scenario 1, they lose Milford. "We lost our best & most promising player to a nasty rival club who cares not for developing their own".

Scenario 2, they keep Milford. "We have to spend big money just to keep the talent that we ourselves developed. Therefore we can't afford to buy a roster full of superstars like some other clubs".

His go to line when he was at Parramatta was "we just don't have a quality roster"..

He blames everyone but himself.

Imagine being a Parra player and hearing your coach constantly tell the media how shit you are..

It's no wonder they got the spoon.

His go to line when he was at Parramatta was "we just don't have a quality roster"..

He blames everyone but himself.

Imagine being a Parra player and hearing your coach constantly tell the media how shit you are..

It's no wonder they got the spoon.

My favourite one was that "they didn't have the high-profile players that other clubs have so they can't influence the refs". I'm thinking I should make a new thread called "Ricky Stuart's Excuses For The 2014 Season".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • Wolfie
  • achievedrap
  • Waynesaurus
  • Galah
  • Manofoneway
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • mitch222
  • Foordy
  • MrMoore
  • Behold
  • KateBroncos1812
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.