[OFFICIAL] Anthony Milford to Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I for one welcome and quite enjoy when opposition fans join up and share their opinions. It's always great to read people's thoughts on topics coming from a different perspective.

I actually have no hope of Milford actually signing until he actually does sign.
As long as people remain civil it's all good.

Personally think he's 90% chance of being a Bronco but the Raiders in typical style will play it out behind closed doors till its sorted one way or another, IMO if they can beat the Broncos offer by enough he'll stay, but that's always a hard thing to do with the corporate support you guys get.

I resent that. I have not once attempted to start an argument. I have already mentioned a couple of times over the past few days that I am here for conversation with the otherside. I can talk about this until I am blue in the face with other Raiders supporters but as we have the same bias (the level of extreme is the only thing that differs) it gets extremely boring and old. I have been enjoying the conversation I have been having with Porthoz, Broncos4life, amongst others that has both been insightful and aside from taughts through sarcasm (which I admit that I enjoy) has been relatively friendly. I am in no way trolling your forum and I respect the conversations and opinions of all of you whether I agree or not. If I do not agree I am more than happy to reply and tell you that you are wrong (in my view) but I will not do it offensively - well intentionally..

The Milford saga will be an ongoing one, which is unfortunate for all and sundry, but blame does not fall on the CEO, as they placed the clause for the hope that Milford wold not activate it. I know that sounds stupid, but if you were between a rock and a hard place, you do things through hope, hope that it is not used against you, but hope that it shows good will. This is the reason behind the clause, and unfortunately, that good will has now been lost behind the media stories from both parties.

As for moving on, I have said it is disheartening, and it is, I know you guys have felt the same about players you have lost. But until that contract is signed, why move on? As has been said earlier, a lot can change in a month, the same applies here. That and until the actual clause and it's terms are settled, we actually have nothing but speculation. Personally, I think he is gone for all money, but there is nothing wrong with hope.

Awesome I got a mention :P

Yeah as I have said worm, you're alright in my books, plus you understand sarcasm which is close to the only way I know how to communicate on the interwebz

Another quote from the Greenhouse:

Maybe this hatred of the Broncos stems deeper than losing Milford? Is it because the Broncos get around 17 games a year on Channel Nine and you can count the Raiders' Channel Nine games on one hand?

I envy the Raiders for having most of their games on Fox Sports instead of 9, their fans get to enjoy a quality broadcast while we're stuck with 9's rubbish.

I envy the Raiders for having most of their games on Fox Sports instead of 9, their fans get to enjoy a quality broadcast while we're stuck with 9's rubbish.
From a selfish viewpoint it's great dont need to put up with the 9 idiots but from a club perspective it's very bad, reduces potential sponsorships, growing fan base and ability to sign players

From a players point of view, it's absolutely perfect. You play footy every Friday night, then have Saturday night to get off your face around brisbanes nightlife and then recover Sunday and back into it Monday.

On Norman were you guys spewing that signing the has been Prince cost you Norman, at the time everyone but Bronco fans seemed to know he was a massive signing mistake, most losses ever for an NRL player. That would've made me bitter towards management that monumental screw up.

I never thought signing Prince would disrupt the side as much as it obviously has, but yeah I'm fairly pissed at management for that one. Although, we got him fairly cheap and I don't think many clubs would have passed him up. Why we persisted with him when the combination wasn't working I'll never know.

My main gripe when it comes to managements handling of Norman, and Hunt as well actually, is the handling of their development. Both players should have been running around in Qcup for a few seasons before securing a spot in first grade. Instead, Hunt has spent the last 2(?) seasons coming off the bench and while Norman got the whole of last year as our 6, prior to that he was in and out of FG and Qcup. Point being, our "future superstars" halves pairing should have been running around in the sam Qcup team together learning how to guide a team of men around.

Because they are looking to start an argument with anybody they can. Im all for some constructive conversation but when they come onto our forum and start throwing around wild accusations and conspiracy theories it gets a bit old.

Fact is Milford doesn’t want to play for the Raiders anymore by all accounts. The Raiders signed him with the clause and now that he is trying to activate that said clause they are jumping up and down about it. Stop crying, get over it and move on.

The only people / person the raiders fans should blame is the raiders club itself and the CEO for allowing the clause in the first place.
Let's not paint everyone with the same brush. There is a huge difference between Worm or Bushman, whom despite their natural bias, have shown wit, common sense and sensibility to argue their view, as opposed to BG99, whom even they made fun of...

The banter/sarcasm is also quite enjoyable, when both sides understand the difference between a light-hearted jibe and an insult.

I would be incensed if we were to loose one of our young stars, like Moose, Hoffman, Gillett or the up and coming Oates under the circumstances that Canberra appears to be loosing Milford.

The one thing that does piss me off, is the carrying on at the Greenhouse painting the Broncos as this unethical bully club that has a habit of stealing other club's players. When have we ever done that?

More so, and to answer you @Bushman, the Couriermail journos are certainly playing a part in this, in the same way Tux does for the Raiders through the Canberra Times. The fact that the Couriermail is biased towards the Broncos is not so much because of the common financial interest, as the fact it is a Brisbane newspaper which has always been affiliated with the club.

The Daily Telegraph is a NEWS publication, as is the Herald Sun, just to mention the biggest ones, and they do exactly the same thing with their local clubs as the Couriermail does with the Broncos, the Lions, the Roar or the Heat...

These same Couriermail journos have also been the first to plaster the Alhambra lounge affair on the newspaper, right before a very important semi-final at Suncorp, or the game that shall not be spoken of...

Is it a conflict of interest that News partially owns the Broncos as well as the Couriermail? Up to a point yes, the newspaper can obviously influence opinions, but that's pretty much it.
I found it much worse when the NRL and the Storm were also a part of the conglomerate to be honest.

Because of the media widespread availability, especially online, they have become a powerful tool to influence the public opinion and more often that not, force parties to be more transparent and come to the negotiating table, which looks like what Ayoub is doing.
Let's also not forget that this is a double edged sword, because if you're going to make public statements that will forever be recorded, you better make sure you've got your facts straight. Getting caught in lies will now more than ever, cause irreparable damage to one's reputation!

Jumping to the conclusion that NEWS is doing business for the Broncos, manipulating Milford's family and their doctors under the cover of their publication, is where the tin foil hats begin to appear. Hello BG99...

If NEWS were so invested in intervening on the Broncos behalf, I doubt we would be where we are, and we probably wouldn't be looking at getting Milford and Barba, because Inglis would surely be playing in our colours. Speaking of unethical, now there's a shiny example of grubby tactics! :glare:

TLDR: Worm and Bushman are cool dudes, BG99 not so much, and the influence of NEWS is grossly exaggerated.

Last edited:
The only real impediment is the NRL registering Milford's contract at the Broncos next year.

It's like feeling resentment against an ex. Choice is made. Move on.

that would've been an ideal situation for all involved, if motives were as claimed. the thing is this has come out well prior to the end of the season, in an obvious attempt to get him there for 2014.
its dodgy as hell!! everyone can see that but you guys

Of course Milford wants to play football in 2014 and be near his sick Dad at the same time

He has not said anything different to that

And as he has a get out clause, it is entirely above board

There is nothing dodgy with it all, and the only people that can't see the obvious are Canberra fans

I realise that this is all technically on topic, but the arguing has completely diluted any new information concerning the Milford signing.

The NRL Lurker has posted this today:
Bronco blueprint
Believe it or not but Brisbane are contemplating using Anthony Milford and Ben Barba in the halves if they snare them both for 2014. Josh Hoffman is doing greats things at fullback and will stay there under this radical plan, with Milford and Barba at the scrumbase. While the attacking possibilities are mouth watering, can you just imagine the heavy traffic directed at the 6 and 7 in defence.
The Lurker - NRL Rumour File - Wednesday - League - Sportal Australia

Seems like he just made it up to fill his article. Dumb idea though, if there is any truth. If we sign both we have the hard decision of which amazingly talented natural fullback will we make play in the halves...the old El Paso "Why don't we have both?!" approach probably isn't the best option.

I wouldn't put it past Griffin though. He seems, for the lack of a better word, hopeless.

Very true, but the Raiders, quite rightly, complain every year about getting very little games on FTA, which sucks for fans who can't afford Foxtel.

Both in the halves would be a mess, you need at least one organiser unless you also sign Smith then it MIGHT work. Plus neither are great passers or have a long kick

Last edited:
Guys, I know it's loosely connected, but let's try to stay on topic and leave the TV talk to the appropriate thread, thanks! :thumbup1:

I resent that. I have not once attempted to start an argument. I have already mentioned a couple of times over the past few days that I am here for conversation with the otherside. I can talk about this until I am blue in the face with other Raiders supporters but as we have the same bias (the level of extreme is the only thing that differs) it gets extremely boring and old. I have been enjoying the conversation I have been having with Porthoz, Broncos4life, amongst others that has both been insightful and aside from taughts through sarcasm (which I admit that I enjoy) has been relatively friendly. I am in no way trolling your forum and I respect the conversations and opinions of all of you whether I agree or not. If I do not agree I am more than happy to reply and tell you that you are wrong (in my view) but I will not do it offensively - well intentionally..

The Milford saga will be an ongoing one, which is unfortunate for all and sundry, but blame does not fall on the CEO, as they placed the clause for the hope that Milford wold not activate it. I know that sounds stupid, but if you were between a rock and a hard place, you do things through hope, hope that it is not used against you, but hope that it shows good will. This is the reason behind the clause, and unfortunately, that good will has now been lost behind the media stories from both parties.

As for moving on, I have said it is disheartening, and it is, I know you guys have felt the same about players you have lost. But until that contract is signed, why move on? As has been said earlier, a lot can change in a month, the same applies here. That and until the actual clause and it's terms are settled, we actually have nothing but speculation. Personally, I think he is gone for all money, but there is nothing wrong with hope.

Nah, you're cool and don't let the Bieber haters get you down. TBH, I prefer a multi-club mix when it comes to forums because, as you say, people who follow the same club generally have the same bias. Makes things more interesting and less of a circle jerk.

I realise that this is all technically on topic, but the arguing has completely diluted any new information concerning the Milford signing.

The NRL Lurker has posted this today:

The Lurker - NRL Rumour File - Wednesday - League - Sportal Australia

Seems like he just made it up to fill his article. Dumb idea though, if there is any truth. If we sign both we have the hard decision of which amazingly talented natural fullback will we make play in the halves...the old El Paso "Why don't we have both?!" approach probably isn't the best option.

Would be the nail in Griffins coffin IMO and I would place it there myself. Hunt will be our 7, one of them will be FB and the other will be our 6. Hoffy will head back to the wing, with a view to becoming a centre.

I hope for the Raider's sake this gets sorted sooner rather than later so they can at least know what they have to work with for, most importantly, the rest of this year and for next year's roster. They haven't exactly brought this on themselves or anything. It is another case of hard luck.

Personally hope it takes awhile, the longer it takes the better the chance to keep him, how long will the broncs hold the cap space for him if there's uncertainty?

On Hoffman to the wing that could cost him in the long run, I can't see him being happy about it as prefers fullback and he'd get more money elsewhere for the spot he wants to play

The NRL has a tonne of quality fullbacks. Hoffman is a top 5 winger in the game and would still command good cash playing in that position. Annoys me so much that players aren't happy on the wing. If Hoffman is the good guy and smart guy that I hope he is he will be happy as a winger/centre because he is proving to be a revelation in that position.

Personally hope it takes awhile, the longer it takes the better the chance to keep him, how long will the broncs hold the cap space for him if there's uncertainty?

On Hoffman to the wing that could cost him in the long run, I can't see him being happy about it as prefers fullback and he'd get more money elsewhere for the spot he wants to play

Who else would they spend it on though? Legit question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• mrtij
  • Big Del
  • NSW stables
  • bb_gun
  • Socnorb
  • ezpz
  • Manofoneway
  • Spoon
  • john1420
  • Gaz
  • Dexter
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Waynesaurus
  • Reds2011
  • HarryAllan7
  • Xzei
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosarethebest
  • broncoscope
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.