[OFFICIAL] Anthony Milford to Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does 'Rich Club' count for anything? Every club has the same cap, ever think players choose the Roosters/Broncos because of the cities they are in?

Ok maybe in the context of development rich wasn't the right word but the point was clubs that spend bugger all on development hence me mentioning Roosters and not the Broncs.

On every club having the same cap technically speaking that might be true BUT not all clubs have the same access to corporate support, 3rd party sponsorships, TV games etc which in effect makes the playing field unlevel.

Ok maybe in the context of development rich wasn't the right word but the point was clubs that spend bugger all on development hence me mentioning Roosters and not the Broncs.

On every club having the same cap technically speaking that might be true BUT not all clubs have the same access to corporate support, 3rd party sponsorships, TV games etc which in effect makes the playing field unlevel.

And that's to do with the city they play in, it's not the fault of the Roosters/Broncos and even Cowboys that other communities don't get behind their team. If Canberra want to stop losing players to 'richer' clubs then they need to engage the community better and give them a reason to financially support the club. Brumbies do fine, partially due to their success sure, however they engage the community better and draw the support. (From what i've heard, could be different but results look spot on.)

For the record may as well stop saying Canberra loses players, over the past few years they haven't lost many they actually wanted to keep, that dried up around 08, lately it's been more weeding out the douchebags ie Carney, Dugan.

I gather you'd be happy for every club to follow the roosters path and spend bugger all on development? Say goodbye to rugby league if that happens. Development needs to be encouraged for the health of the game as a Bronco fan I thought that would be a common belief between our clubs since both tend to rely more on developing juniors than buying a premiership.

Everyone I'm sure agrees that it's unfair on clubs who develop players to lose them in such poor fashion, I was pulling you up on your 'rich club' claim that I think has nothing to do with it. In the right environment a player who feels at home will stay at a club for a little less and judging by the way some players have left Canberra in the past I'm questioning the environment of the club.

Agreed Charmamba. I only watched on Tv but the crowd for the Canberra V storm game looked appalling . It's not like they knew they were gonna get smashed

The ones in the past few years have either been booted for being douchebags (Carney, Dugan, Harrison, Vidot) or paid ridiculous overs for(Weyman, Thompson and Williams who wasn't in 1st grade anyway), Milford appears to be the first to go we would like to keep, all clubs lose players that's a fact of life, even the Broncos.

The ones in the past few years have either been booted for being douchebags (Carney, Dugan, Harrison, Vidot) or paid ridiculous overs for(Weyman, Thompson and Williams who wasn't in 1st grade anyway), Milford appears to be the first to go we would like to keep, all clubs lose players that's a fact of life, even the Broncos.

Exactly, so go and calm down your fellow fans over at the greenhouse.

I don't think many here care too much about Michael weyman and the like leaving the raiders, we have bigger fish to fry with issues revolving around the Broncos.

It would be interesting to see a Raiders outfit with Carney, Dugan, Ferguson (and Milford)

Carney and Dugan maybe douchebags in some ways, but their recent form is for mine, ah, not too bad.

At the same time, the Raiders/GH's bleating about maybe losing Milford is a bit rich given who they have booted out and the form those players have found at other clubs

Yeah yeah, but you're a forum whore these days ;) Another poor broken refugee of a home that swatted us away. Endlessly drifting between countless flings, coupling with many, but forever yearning for your lost love.

Agree. As always.

bizarro-cat-throwing-bucket-of-water_zps6c99ba21.jpg

I
At the same time, the Raiders/GH's bleating about maybe losing Milford is a bit rich given who they have booted out and the form those players have found at other clubs

Nah the difference is the quality of person, losing the douches were fine but Milford would hurt cause it actually appears we developed a star with a good head on his shoulders who we wouldn't need to boot out.

All clubs develop idiots our problem has been they've just happened to be our stars until Milford

We showed Dane Gagai the door but I still reserve the right to complain about future players being poached from us. Personally, Canberra booting Carney and Dugan for being fuckwits is something that should be applauded, not held against them.

I'd love to Milford here but I can totally sympathise with Canberra fans during this saga; their club put time and effort into Milford and he seems like a good kid, only for him to end up leaving due to circumstances completely out of their control. A lifetime of experience has taught me that if the situations were reversed, we Brisbane fans would be bleating just as much. Sports fans are the same the whole world over, no matter how much we like to tell ourselves that we are different/better than that mob over there .....

Yeah yeah, but you're a forum whore these days ;) Another poor broken refugee of a home that swatted us away. Endlessly drifting between countless flings, coupling with many, but forever yearning for your lost love.

Always been a forum whore tbh :001_tt2:. Split my time between our old home and another for the past few years. Threw this one into the mix to spice things up.

Still laugh how much Bennett spent on a winger.

Barba is reigning Dally M player and could command $700k when you consider what other players have gotten, Beau Scott was signed for $500k and he's useless. Milford's still young but tbh I wouldn't be upset if Raiders throw $500k to keep him

Izzy was signed as a centre but even so, I'd happily spend that much on a guy with a strike rate like his.

To be fair, I do agree with that article to a degree. There should be some sort of dispensation for developing your own players. A club invests a huge amount of time and resources into developing players, and then players jump ship to another club, who usually offers more money. From what we know, the Milford situation is completely different though (money not the reason for changing club). I've always wanted more salary cap support for long-serving players and junior/developed players - 9 years at the one club (or whatever it is) is a tad too long for the loyalty discount. I would personally have it at about 5 years or so.

Absolutely there should be a transfer fee....if he comes to us next year that is.

Have never understood this when it comes to Canberra. Why are sponsorships etc so hard to come by in Canberra? It's our nations capital ffs!!! Legitimate question and I'd rather nobody respond with insulting answers.

Does make me laugh that you guys never mention Monaghan. It's like you want to erase that moment from the clubs history....and I don't blame you. :loool:

Don't be jealous fella.

We showed Dane Gagai the door but I still reserve the right to complain about future players being poached from us. Personally, Canberra booting Carney and Dugan for being fuckwits is something that should be applauded, not held against them.

I'd love to Milford here but I can totally sympathise with Canberra fans during this saga; their club put time and effort into Milford and he seems like a good kid, only for him to end up leaving due to circumstances completely out of their control. A lifetime of experience has taught me that if the situations were reversed, we Brisbane fans would be bleating just as much. Sports fans are the same the whole world over, no matter how much we like to tell ourselves that we are different/better than that mob over there .....

Well put.

Does make me laugh that you guys never mention Monaghan. It's like you want to erase that moment from the clubs history....and I don't blame you. :loool:

That is just because Monaghan was rubbish, I bet the only reason Canberra fans were upset to see Joel leave was because it meant their chances of bringing Michael back were gonski

Have never understood this when it comes to Canberra. Why are sponsorships etc so hard to come by in Canberra? It's our nations capital ffs!!! Legitimate question and I'd rather nobody respond with insulting answers.

Probably because Canberra is still very small, regardless of it being the capital. Companies sponsor teams and players in the hope of gaining exposure to their fans and generating business because of that. Canberra is a small city and the Raiders' fan base is quite small, which means that sponsoring the club/players isn't going to be as lucrative compared to a team from Sydney or QLD, which will probably have more fans and/or more exposure on FTA and local media.

Probably because Canberra is still very small, regardless of it being the capital. Companies sponsor teams and players in the hope of gaining exposure to their fans and generating business because of that. Canberra is a small city and the Raiders' fan base is quite small, which means that sponsoring the club/players isn't going to be as lucrative compared to a team from Sydney or QLD, which will probably have more fans and/or more exposure on FTA and local media.
Yep pretty much plus it's a city built for politicians not for huge companies etc.

The FTA is a massive one to, who will sponsor a team that's on TV 1 or 2 times a year when you can get exposure 15+ times a year, economically it wouldn't make sense

I wouldn't have a problem with a system where a financial reward system was set-up for clubs with a strong development investment, such as the Raiders, Panthers or the Broncos. They deserve to see something back from their hard work!

However, I don't believe it would stop influentially more powerful clubs (instead of richer) to swoop in and poach the talent from clubs unable to compete at the same level of corporate and mass support.
Pay the transfer fee (whatever it is) and as a consequence, compete at a higher level than the club that developed the player, thus drawing more support, visibility and sponsorships, which will essentially repay that transfer fee...

The Broncos would benefit greatly from such a system, as they have the means to be poachers as well as benefit from the transfers. The Raiders? Probably not as much...

Again, in Milford's case, I don't believe it is so much about a club poaching a player, as a club taking advantage of the circumstances landing them a extremely promising player in their laps. That is the risk you take by developing players far from you area of influence, especially when there is a much more attractive alternative where those players are from!

Never be able to stop it but at least it would compensate clubs who develop plus might encourage other clubs to put more into development if they can't just poach em for no penalty.

Take Milford the broncs had a chance to develop him but wanted nothing to do with him, now 6 years later after Canberra has spent a lot on him and his family looks like the broncos will get all the benefit for free, like parra will for Norman ( except parra didn't reject him as a kid)

Never be able to stop it but at least it would compensate clubs who develop plus might encourage other clubs to put more into development if they can't just poach em for no penalty.

Take Milford the broncs had a chance to develop him but wanted nothing to do with him, now 6 years later after Canberra has spent a lot on him and his family looks like the broncos will get all the benefit for free, like parra will for Norman ( except parra didn't reject him as a kid)

The problem with introducing a compensation plan into the NRL that allowed clubs and players an avenue to break contracts is it legitamises the process. We would then have a scenario that every player during the year could suddenly be in Milfords situation (without the get out clause).

Rich clubs like the Roosters, Dogs, Souths and the Broncos would not be put off by some transfer fee if it meant securing the player they needed to guarantee semi final positions. You would have a situation where Roosters put in a bid for Blake Ferguson, Dogs put in a bid for Wighton, Souths throw some money at Lee. Even if the player didnt want to move and the club was not interested in selling the media speculation would be enough to derail a season.

The premier league and other football leagues has transfer fees as you probably already know and it is still the same clubs that stay at the top, yes the smaller clubs are compensated for developing a player and then losing them but it doesnt change the fact that the smaller clubs fans are annoyed to be losing their best player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• FACTHUNT
  • theshed
  • Bucking Beads
  • Browny
  • Pablo
  • thenry
  • sooticus
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Old Mate
  • Cavalo
  • mrtij
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Totally Unr3al
  • marw
  • Lazza
  • mrslong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.