[OFFICIAL] Anthony Milford to Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never be able to stop it but at least it would compensate clubs who develop plus might encourage other clubs to put more into development if they can't just poach em for no penalty.

Take Milford the broncs had a chance to develop him but wanted nothing to do with him, now 6 years later after Canberra has spent a lot on him and his family looks like the broncos will get all the benefit for free, like parra will for Norman ( except parra didn't reject him as a kid)

Well not that isn't true, the Raiders signed Tony at 12. Broncos couldn't exactly do much pre 12 years old and I certainly don't want clubs signing guys even at 12 but before that would be ridiculous.

Do you want the Broncos outside the Mater waiting?

You could aruge why did the Raiders benefit from all the work Ipswich and Souths put into him for free?

Last edited:
Never be able to stop it but at least it would compensate clubs who develop plus might encourage other clubs to put more into development if they can't just poach em for no penalty.

Take Milford the broncs had a chance to develop him but wanted nothing to do with him, now 6 years later after Canberra has spent a lot on him and his family looks like the broncos will get all the benefit for free, like parra will for Norman ( except parra didn't reject him as a kid)
There is a difference between rejecting a player and not picking him up. There will always be players that slip through your fingers, and not being overly active in the Logan/Ipswich are has cost us a few players, even when Cyril was around (Cam Smith anyone?).

The issue in my opinion is that while compensation is nice, it still won't bring results or success in the sporting arena. That's what the salary cap is supposed to do, so other clubs can't wave money around (be it transfer or salary) and take the best and brightest from clubs like Canberra or Penrith. A salary cap allowance for clubs who develop, would be a better incentive imo, as it would balance the deficit from having less corporate support.
On the other hand, it would still benefit a club like the Broncos...

Once again, in Milford's case, the issue is not poaching, it's the player wanting to go back home for family reasons. As much as it's heart-breaking for the Raiders, it's the price you will sometimes pay for developing a player from another state...

Well not that isn't true, the Raiders signed Tony at 12. Broncos couldn't exactly do much pre 12 years old and I certainly don't want clubs signing guys even at 12 but before that would be ridiculous.

Do you want the Broncos outside the Mater waiting?

You could aruge why did the Raiders benefit from all the work Ipswich and Souths put into him for free?
Signed at 13 I believe and according to Milford interview awhile back the broncs chose someone else ahead of him (your current u20s guy from memory) that's why he didn't like the broncs as a kid.

With Souths you are aware they are tied to and partly funded by the Raiders, they would've died years ago without em, some of the local schools there are as well much to the Broncos disgust, the schools asked the broncos for funding for years and always got rejected until the Raiders signed em up then the broncos were all over them asking why

Signed at 13 I believe and according to Milford interview awhile back the broncs chose someone else ahead of him (your current u20s guy from memory) that's why he didn't like the broncs as a kid.

With Souths you are aware they are tied to and partly funded by the Raiders, they would've died years ago without em, some of the local schools there are as well much to the Broncos disgust, the schools asked the broncos for funding for years and always got rejected until the Raiders signed em up then the broncos were all over them asking why

12 Tony signed his first scholarship. By the time the Broncos knew about him he was already signed. Great work by the Raiders to get him so young but doesn't mean the Broncos didn't want him they just missed out. Which is a by-proudct of signing players so young.

Raiders have no ties to Souths. You left them as per the NSWRL wishes. Raiders recruit well in the area and have development officers and recruitment manager Edwards and Tookey working with Souths but you have no offical links anymore.

PCC is not linked to the Raiders.

You missed my point, NRL clubs are great at crying we want compensation we developed him but they don't care where he came from before them. Raiders wanting to be compensated for Milford leaving with the transfer fee- how much did they pay for all the work the Ipswich Rugby League did?

I think the only realistic way to fix this particular problem is a salary cap discount on players brought through u20's say 5% and then 10% if you had them earlier an extra 5% for 5 years service to a club and 10% for 10 years. This way there is no advantage to richer or more influential clubs just those tho develops. You'll quickly find those that don't will start to fall behind.

I think the only realistic way to fix this particular problem is a salary cap discount on players brought through u20's say 5% and then 10% if you had them earlier an extra 5% for 5 years service to a club and 10% for 10 years. This way there is no advantage to richer or more influential clubs just those tho develops. You'll quickly find those that don't will start to fall behind.

I'm not against improvements to the salary cap so dont get me wrong but is there really a big problem?

One player wanting to leave his contract 1 year early by exercising a get out clause shouldnt be the catalyst for a quick fix to the salary cap or introduce other things like transfer fees.

bizarro-cat-throwing-bucket-of-water_zps6c99ba21.jpg

Yeah, come on, don't be sad. I made you your own Forum Best Friend. He's an automated program that has been coded to have the same interests and opinions as you. You never know what he's going to say, but you can bet your life, it'll be funny, it will be topical, and it will be just what you were thinking!!!

Wall-P_zps3c2059b2.jpg

What's that, Wall-P?

<<Bzzt. I also dislike that particular player>>

Ha! Right on there, you're Fourex all over! Play nice, kids.

Haha, brilliant.

Where can I buy one?

Haha, brilliant.

Where can I buy one?

As it just so happens I know someone who's trying to pension one off. They bought it for about $350k as a low-kay demo, but make an offer and see what they say?

I'm not against improvements to the salary cap so dont get me wrong but is there really a big problem?

One player wanting to leave his contract 1 year early by exercising a get out clause shouldnt be the catalyst for a quick fix to the salary cap or introduce other things like transfer fees.

Proposals like that have been made for quite a while now, it isn't something that has just been thought up of because of Anthony Milford. I suspect it has just been dragged into the conversation because after 43+ pages of discussion, the topic is going to meander a bit.

Compassion the simple answer for Milford There is an eminently straightforward way for Canberra to regain the moral high ground in their dealings with Anthony Milford: offer him indefinite, paid compassionate leave.
Milford wants a release from his 2014 contract to return to Brisbane and look after his sick father, Halo. If he returns to Queensland, he would play for the Broncos.
The Raiders' response has been to say they intend to keep the 19-year-old but are concerned about his welfare and want to delay all discussions until the end of the season.
The club says it was talking to Milford about extending his contract beyond 2014. His agent, Sam Ayoub, angrily denies this. At the moment, one would suggest public sympathy is with Milford; there are more important things than football.
But if Canberra were to give Milford compassionate leave for as long as he wants it – until the end of next year if necessary – then they would be doing the right thing by him and protecting their interests at the same time.
As we said, there are more important things than football and Milford would not have to play football while he spent time with his ill dad. Surely the NRL would look favourably on the payments not counting towards the Raiders' salary cap next season.
At the end of 2014, Milford could either sign with the Broncos or, out of gratitude to the Raiders, return to the capital if his dad is well enough.

Compassion the simple answer for Milford :thumbup1:

Compassion the simple answer for Milford There is an eminently straightforward way for Canberra to regain the moral high ground in their dealings with Anthony Milford: offer him indefinite, paid compassionate leave.
Milford wants a release from his 2014 contract to return to Brisbane and look after his sick father, Halo. If he returns to Queensland, he would play for the Broncos.
The Raiders' response has been to say they intend to keep the 19-year-old but are concerned about his welfare and want to delay all discussions until the end of the season.
The club says it was talking to Milford about extending his contract beyond 2014. His agent, Sam Ayoub, angrily denies this. At the moment, one would suggest public sympathy is with Milford; there are more important things than football.
But if Canberra were to give Milford compassionate leave for as long as he wants it – until the end of next year if necessary – then they would be doing the right thing by him and protecting their interests at the same time.
As we said, there are more important things than football and Milford would not have to play football while he spent time with his ill dad. Surely the NRL would look favourably on the payments not counting towards the Raiders' salary cap next season.
At the end of 2014, Milford could either sign with the Broncos or, out of gratitude to the Raiders, return to the capital if his dad is well enough.

Out of gratitude to the Raiders for making him sit out the season? Yeah, that'll work ...

I wouldn't count on that one tbh. I'd have no problem with this actually. If you guys want to waste another years salary cap on him, while developing him for us....I'm all for it. :biggrin:

I'm with Canberra when they say lets discuss it in the off season though.

Gonna be great for his development if he misses a year of footy..

I think the issue with Milford is as much about being homesick as it is about hid Dad being sick.

Wow, thanks guys for making it so the only way I can be near my father also means that I can't play nrl for a year thus stalling my career and development. Here let me say thank you properly by signing up for life...

Yeah that will happen

Wow, thanks guys for making it so the only way I can be near my father also means that I can't play nrl for a year thus stalling my career and development. Here let me say thank you properly by signing up for life...

Yeah that will happen

Surely you are not suggesting Milford's best interests are actually those of the Raiders!

No way is it in his best interests to play football and be near his family. No way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• mrtij
  • winslow_wong
  • sooticus
  • broncos4life
  • theshed
  • Bucking Beads
  • FACTHUNT
  • Dexter
  • Culhwch
  • thenry
  • Cavalo
  • Browny
  • Pablo
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Old Mate
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Totally Unr3al
  • marw
  • Lazza
  • mrslong
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.