[OFFICIAL] Anthony Milford to Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that. Let's keep it on the down low then.

Definately solid at 5/8 with another off season under his belt will be sensational. Defended better than I thought he would at 3 in . Manly ask plenty of questions. Finger crossed for 2014

Funny how the manager is saying he's leaving but new coach is saying he's staying

Is the coach staying? He's up for the NQ job isn't be?

Princeys retirement has convinced me that something might be seriously on with this rumour. Unless we pull off a miracle and sign Daly Cherry Evans (I doubt it), I'm a believer that our number 6 next year will be Anthony Milford.

Princeys retirement has convinced me that something might be seriously on with this rumour. Unless we pull off a miracle and sign Daly Cherry Evans (I doubt it), I'm a believer that our number 6 next year will be Anthony Milford.

Let's hope so. He's looking better every game. I was seriously expecting a mediocre performance from him in the halves, but he was bloody good.

Milford would be a boon for the Broncos.

I still think he would prosper being an impact player rather than the lynchpin in this "work in progress" squad. Maybe just for next year play him off the bench and allow him to play as impact (even push Hunt into hooker while Macca takes a break).

I need to see more of him at 6 though.

There's a big difference (perhaps the real indicator of a true champion) between playing off the cuff when you've got nothing to lose (see: Ben Hunt vs Cowboys and Knights this year) and constructing a win under pressure (see: Ben Hunt vs Penrith).

The latter is the type of player the Broncos desperately need, which Milford isn't yet.

Yeah, you definitely need to watch him play more, because if Milford isn't that player yet, Hunt will never be it...

Yeah, you definitely need to watch him play more, because if Milford isn't that player yet, Hunt will never be it...

That's nonsensical.

Milford has not shown at all that he's the type of player that can orchestrate a win under pressure. He's yet to show if he can play 80 minutes of good football.

Hunt is the same, but he has the added handicap of having been used solely off the bench for the last 4 years.

Will Hunt ever be capable of being an 80 minute player who can orchestrate wins under pressure? Who knows. Next year will tell. But to suggest he never will by implying that Milford has is laughable.

You also need to watch Milford play...

I was only picking up on subsligh's comparison, and was hinting more at the fact that Milford at age 19 has already shown more capacity to be decisive in the NRL, than Hunt has at age 24.

Given the roster we have, it would be absolutely ludicrous to use Milford off the bench as an impact player. He is a natural 6, and while he may not be mature enough to orchestrate wins under pressure, not many players have his potential.

I'm not so sure about him being a natural 6 ......but I do see plenty of potential. I'd love to see him play there more on a week to week basis before making a firm decision.

One thing I do agree with is that it would be idiotic to turn/use him as an impact player at Brisbane with our roster.

What a waste .....!

Hey the kid is fast, has a step and a decent pass and he is 19. Hodges is gone for half a season so why not centres if DCE was to come. Barba 1 DCE 7 and Hunt 6 and Milford 4.

You also need to watch Milford play...

I was only picking up on subsligh's comparison, and was hinting more at the fact that Milford at age 19 has already shown more capacity to be decisive in the NRL, than Hunt has at age 24.

Given the roster we have, it would be absolutely ludicrous to use Milford off the bench as an impact player. He is a natural 6, and while he may not be mature enough to orchestrate wins under pressure, not many players have his potential.

I'm not doubting his talent or abilities, or that he's shown a lot of promise in his rookie NRL season. If we get him I would gladly put the responsibility of starting at 6 on his shoulders.

I still wouldn't call him "proven" by any means. But then, Wallace isn't "proven" as anything other than adequate which is barely better than what Hunt's "proven" at this stage.

The Broncos don't have any other options but to throw Hunt and Milford in, assuming they get him. It's not like we have any "proven" options to call on.

He has played most of his career as a five-eight, and while it's not the NRL, he was a gun there in the U20's.

Much like Lockyer, he could very well do a job at fullback in his early years, then move to 5/8 when he is mature enough to guide a team around, but sincerely, it would be a waste not to put him in the starting 13.

If we get him and Barba, he's definitely the best choice for 5/8.
In the unlikely event we also get DCE, Hunt would have to be the one making way, because I think every Bronco's fan home would become a yoghurt factory with Barba as fullback and Milford partnering DCE in the halves! :drool:

Last edited:
Well that all depends on how well Milford and Hunt go together next year. DCE won't be coming before 2015 (if at all).
So if Hunt finally shows his potential and Milford has a struggling 2nd year syndrome next year, what then? :P Hunt and DCE with Milford somewhere else in the backline.

Milford is far more of a natural fullback than a natural 5/8th/half in attack. At the moment, at least. Fullbacks are more about running and halves are more about organisation and shuffling.

Last edited:
Fullbacks are nothing more than a second 5/8 in attack nowadays imo. He is a 5/8 that can excel at fullback, just like Locky.

They are the modern 5/8th yes. But not the second one. There's no difference between a 5/8th and a halfback for most sides, except the dominant side of the field they play on.

5/8th and halfback = modern halfback
fullback = modern 5/8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Pablo
  • heartly87
  • Sproj
  • OnToSomething
  • Griffo
  • Astro
  • Allo
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.