[OFFICIAL] Barba to Broncos

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Oh I'm sure the Bulldogs don't give a shit about the Broncos in this case. Their focus is purely on retaining their player.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
I would think so. And fair enough too. Apart from his value on the field, he's hot property off it in terms of marketing and promotion. You'd be an absolute fool not to do what you can to keep him happy and at the club.

As I indicated above, I'm sure it's not a "no, you're never leaving until the contract is finished, muahahaha" type of scenario, but rather "no, we're not releasing you now, but what can we do to make it work".

I'd be pretty sure if they can't come to a compromise that Ben is happy with then the club will relent and let him go, but anyone who is critical of the Bulldogs not just rolling over and letting him go is nuts.
We rolled over and let a future great be signed by another club (Norman) so Bulldogs should return the favour.
Definitely joking about the first part

Last edited:
Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Oh I'm sure the Bulldogs don't give a shit about the Broncos in this case. Their focus is purely on retaining their player.
You're only half right, if they realise it's a lost cause trying to keep him then they'll chase compensation.

Let us not forget that Hannant asked for a release for the same reasons from the same club and he was released after we compensated them.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
The Bulldogs have put themselves in a situation where if Barba wants to leave, they'll have to release him, without doubt. They've spent the last 5 years trying to turn their image around, and image that revolves around a family club that values people first. Their spin earlier in the year was classic BS, turning a potentially damaging situation in to a 'we've stood him down so he can get himself right' PR magic trick. There's no way in this world they can take the damage to their brand that would come of not releasing Barba for his own wellbeing.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
He has said he intends to play for a Queensland club at some point in his career and it possibly might be happening sooner rather than later.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
He has said he intends to play for a Queensland club at some point in his career and it possibly might be happening sooner rather than later.
What he really said is he's under contract so he can't say that he wants to play for the Broncos next year.

It's pretty obvious, logistics aside, Barba will be playing for us next year but none of that will be formal until after the season is over for both clubs.

Barba asked for a release a while ago and was denied. Once the season is over and his kids are back in Brisbane, his manager will make sure the Bulldogs release him, both so he can earn a lot more and so he can live in Brisbane.

Last edited:
Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I'm pretty confident Barba will be at Broncos next year. I wonder who the halfback we get will be though

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
All legal disclaimers included, bla bla bla, I share mutual drinking buddies with Benny. As far as he is concerned, he is done with the doggies. What club he goes to is a mystery to me but there are only 3 clubs in QLd so we are at least 1/3 a chance of scoring his talents. At this point if he doesn't shift teams he will be as surprised as we are...EBC!

From what I've heard, this was clear to the doggies weeks before he was stood down and may or may not be related.

Last edited:
C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Well really unless his missus moves to Mackay or Townsville, the Cowboys is out of the question. Townsville is as far away from Brisbane as Sydney.

Titans surely don't have the cap space to afford him.

Pretty obviously there's a lot of negotiations going on between the Bulldogs and Barba's management, and once that's done, there'll be negotiations between Bulldogs and Broncos for compensation or whatever.

I wouldn't yet say "we've got him", but all signs point to that being the most likely outcome.
Just a lot later than I expected it to be announced...

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Well really unless his missus moves to Mackay or Townsville, the Cowboys is out of the question. Townsville is as far away from Brisbane as Sydney.

Titans surely don't have the cap space to afford him.

Pretty obviously there's a lot of negotiations going on between the Bulldogs and Barba's management, and once that's done, there'll be negotiations between Bulldogs and Broncos for compensation or whatever.

I wouldn't yet say "we've got him", but all signs point to that being the most likely outcome.
Just a lot later than I expected it to be announced...
**** compensation for the dogs.
He is asking for a release to be with family and if we are lucky enough to be the team nearest his family then good luck to us

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
**** compensation for the dogs.
He is asking for a release to be with family and if we are lucky enough to be the team nearest his family then good luck to us

He also has 2 years to run on a binding contract, and is a player they spent a lot of time and money developing who they don't really want to lose. No doubt he featured in their plans for 2014 and 15, and that is an impact to them.

I think them asking for compensation is fair.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
He also has 2 years to run on a binding contract, and is a player they spent a lot of time and money developing who they don't really want to lose. No doubt he featured in their plans for 2014 and 15, and that is an impact to them.

I think them asking for compensation is fair.

**** oath give them whatever compensation they want... How bout Lui & Anderson? oh hell throw in prince and wallace

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Players decision not the Broncos. Broncos cannot ask for a release or break his contract. Also Bulldogs can say no
Stuff them
In hindsight i would probably pay it to get him:biggrin:

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Players decision not the Broncos. Broncos cannot ask for a release or break his contract. Also Bulldogs can say no
Stuff them
In hindsight i would probably pay it to get him:biggrin:
Incorrect. The Broncos can negotiate with Barba if the dogs give us permission to do so, hence they can also ask for compensation.

Donald

Donald

QCup Player
Mar 25, 2013
Apparently Folau has all but signed on with the Tahs for another two seasons. May not help us in getting Barba..

Unread

Active Now

• marw
  • Culhwch
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • broncsgoat
  • Morkel
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.