Official - Ivan Henjak Sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Griffin's record as head coach after coming to the Dolphins in 2005.

05 (Dolphins) - Preliminary finalists, beaten on the final siren (after the Dolphins missed the finals in 2004)
06 (Dolphins) - Grand Final winners, beating a star studded Toowoomba outfit after nobody gave them a hope
07 (Dolphins) - Runners up
08 (Broncos U20's) - Runners up, beaten in Golden Point, and I still reckon that stinkin Raider was offside
09 (Broncos U20's) - Preliminary finalists, admittedly never a hope in prelim final but still got them there

I am seriously excited to see what he can do with the team this year.

Bucking Beads said:
[quote="Big_Dave":ye4ysmng]One player is known to be a lazy trainer

Dave Taylor??[/quote:ye4ysmng]

Gai Waterhouse

OK, my quite brief thoughts/2 cents/comments (not necessarily connected and my random thoughts on the issue):

1. To sack a coach 3 weeks out from the start of the season is poor form IMO (unless there was a serious breach)

2. I am still firmly of the belief that any coach should be given at least 3 seasons before they are sacked or even seriously questioned - you need time to build something (again unless there is a serious breach)

3. What I have heard is that he was not only given 3 months pay - he was paid out his remaining 2 years and an extra 3 months on top of that not to discuss the reason/s

4. I think Anthony Griffin is a great coach and I hope he does a great job and think he will. However he better bloody fire. Given Griffin and Henjak have fallen out over the past few weeks and that Griffin and Paul White have been extremely close mates since schoolboy days - it doesn't actually look very good on the surface, that White's first action as CEO is to appoint his "mate" as head coach

5. I hope Anthony Griffin gets shown more support and is given more of a chance to prove himself, by the fans and the club, than Henjak was

6. I think the club should release the reason/s for the sacking - will help incoming coaches to know what they are in for. For example if he was sacked because the players didn't want him, then all future coaches would know that they MUST get along with the players at all times; if sacked for not making the finals last year, then incoming coaches will know that they absolutely MUST ensure the team makes the finals etc etc etc.

7. Maybe this is a brilliant marketing coup. Maybe they actually made the decision some time ago, but waited until today - when the new Brisbane bid where having their first press conference - to announce it. I certainly don't hear anyone talking about the new bid tonight.

Ah wow.

I really don't like the idea of dropping a coach 3 weeks before the season starts. Not a good sign, at all.

Griffin is the best choice. Firing the coach before the season makes it hard already. Giving Griffin the yr to see how he goes rather than bring someone totally out of the blue in definitely makes more sense. He has plenty of experience, was assistant coach at the storm before becoming head coach at souths logan then moving to redcliffe. Might not be proven at NRL level but I think he will do well. An example you just have to look at Michael Maguire even though he is in super league now, he was a well regarded assistant at the storm and first season as a top coach takes wigan to a premiership. Henjak probably should have gone earlier but it's better 3 weeks before the season rather than 3 weeks into the season. Have some faith, we have a good young team and I am still expecting us to go very well this yr. It might be a disruption but if the players are having that much trouble with Henjak I would think keeping him around would be more of a distraction.

in many ways i hope he did something really wrong and stupid, coz if he got sacked based on results i reckon it was pretty harsh

Big_Dave said:
Word from my tomato sauce.
Two senior players approached Paul White last week.
I won't name the players involved.

Yeah this is what I am hearing too. But it was approached Senior Club management ...Again.

Wayne was about the team and involving most with the direction they took on the field and the tactics the deployed against teams. Even though he had final say he listened to his team. Ivan was my way or the highway.

Coaches I have heard linked to us are the usual suspects; Wayne, Mal, Matterson.

And for all we know Ivans contract states he has certian targets and goals to achieve and failure to do so end in instant dismisal. We'll never no and I don't want to unless its criminal.

My theroy, Anthony Griffin will look after the team for the year, new coach next year with one of the above getting the nod, most likely Wayne (but those Bunnies rumors are strong). Staying for 2 years then moving into a Coaching Director type roll. Locky to have some involvement with the cub after playing in some capacity. Then again as we know in footy things change and we might end up with Ricky as coach...dun dun darrrrr!!

Just saw Danny Weidler on the news.
Apparently when Inglis heard the news of the sacking, he was the first plane back to Brisbane.
However, things went pear shaped later on in the afternoon when it started to rain.
Not too sure what to make of this? eusa_think

john1420 said:
in many ways i hope he did something really wrong and stupid, coz if he got sacked based on results i reckon it was pretty harsh

Paying him 3 months salary as "hush money" says to me their reasons are BS

Flutterby said:
john1420 said:

So it makes them look really stupid if that is the case, 3 weeks out from the start of the season. If they wanted him gone so badly and were willing to pay him out his contract plus another 3 months why not do it earlier??

I wasn't entirely sold on Henjak so I don't really know how I feel about him getting sacked. However, I'm not happy that this has occurred so close to the start of the season which may disrupt our game. But I think it's good that someone within the Broncos is going to take over temporarily. I'd rather have him rather than a new coach altogether for the time being.

Just got home and this news just floored me! I knew Henjak was under pressure but to sack him at this point of the season, crazy.

I agree with Flutterby's numbered post almost entirely.

One other thing, I missed the stability that used to be part of the Broncos.

Rather this happen now 3 weeks out from season start than 3 or even 13 weeks into the season.

Most here have wanted Henjak gone for a while now, we have got our wish, now let's get behind the team and in particular Griffin who IMO is a great choice as replacement.

For what it is worth we have moved on from WB, let's keep moving on a rebuild this club to what it was not that long ago.

Flutterby said:
john1420 said:

We all know it's BS.

They are not going to say, we lost players because of him. *cough Izzy *cough

Flutterby said:
john1420 said:

+1. Not giving out the exact reason is going to cause rife specualtion and rumour. Eventually the truth will come out and it will be worse for the club than if they just said what up right now.

Let's face it, he was on a hiding to nothing coming into the job. Anybody coming into the job vacated by the 6 time premiership winning coach of 1 club is always in a shit position.

Obviously he's done something to piss people off and has somehow according to the mgmt 'breached' his contract therefore dismissal. Horse shit if you ask me 3 weeks out from the season, but they obviosuly didn't want him in there so it was an easy out for them.

Hook will do a great job (being a Rocky boy and all [icon_wink ). Hopefully he can lead well for his sake cause if he doesn't people will question his friendship with Paul White and him getting the job right off the bat.

Interesting times ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• mrslong
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Broncorob
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Bucking Beads
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Fozz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • lynx000
  • Maddy
  • FACTHUNT
  • broncos4life
  • Browny
  • Crom
  • Justwin
  • Jedhead
  • theshed
  • Old Mate
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.