[Official] - Milford signs with Broncos

jd87

jd87

NRL Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Well im just glad its finally come to an end. now supports from both side can concentrate on the rest of the season. cause god knows both teams need to do it and get there season back on track

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
Locky still kicking goals for us

and he's not even a bronco anymore ... seriously, this is one of the reasons why the club needs to get respected heavy hitting rugby league people back involved with / running the club. To think that it took an ex club legend to convince a player who fell ass-backwards into our lap to actually go through with the deal is terrifying ...

Andrew Gee and co clearly just don't pack much punch at all

Last edited:
Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
and he's not even a bronco anymore ... seriously, this is one of the reasons why the club needs to get respected heavy hitting rugby league people back involved with / running the club. To think that it took an ex club legend to convince a player who fell ass-backwards into our lap to actually go through with the deal is terrifying ...

Andrew Gee and co clearly just don't pack much punch at all

Locky is on the Broncos board.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
what if griffin's saving grace this year is that he didn't have a legit 5/8th and is then given another shot for next year? hoffman then has another big cry and griffin keeps him at 5/8th relegating milford to bench hooker.. it wouldn't surprise me

He certainly could and most likely would and why not? Hoffy is clearly tearing it up at 5/8th, he was almost an international in the position don't forget. Haha

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
locky's actions speak so loud. he's going to personally mentor milford, but hasn't given 2 shits about hoffman. speaks volumes about the respective players.

locky knows.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
People looking forward to Milford "bulking up" next year, say hip hip hooray!

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
[h=1]Anthony Milford sticks up for Canberra and Raiders[/h]DateJune 6, 2014 - 8:13PM
  • 9 reading now
  • Read later

1402049584136.jpg-620x349.jpg
Anthony Milford says he feels no extra pressure facing his future club, Brisbane, at Canberra Stadium on Monday night. Photo: Jeffrey Chan
Departing Raiders fullback Anthony Milford has come to Canberra's defence, saying the city and NRL club "doesn't deserve the bad rap it gets" and admitted it was a "really tough decision" to leave.
Milford says he feels no extra pressure facing his future club, Brisbane, at Canberra Stadium on Monday night, now "comfortable" with his decision to accept a two-year deal at the Broncos from next year.
Milford accepted the offer from the Broncos last year but then agonised over it for months, given he had until this match – round 13 against Brisbane – before the NRL would officially register his contract.
Wests Tigers fullback James Tedesco used the same rule this week to renege on a three-year $1.9 million agreement with the Raiders. It has put the spotlight on Canberra's inability to sign marquee recruits, given Melbourne's Kevin Proctor also backed out of a verbal agreement to join the Raiders last week.
Advertisement
Milford, from Brisbane, maintains he only left the Raiders because of family reasons and he refused to pass judgment on the round 13 rule or the backflip from Tedesco, who Canberra had identified as Milford's direct replacement.
"It’s always a tough decision to leave a club," Milford said. "I’m not sure of James' reasons for his choice, every player is different. It is hard but, as I’ve always said, my family comes first and I trust their advice."
But Milford did stand up for Canberra, the Raiders and coach Ricky Stuart.
"Canberra’s a great place and doesn’t deserve the bad rap it gets from people who’ve never been here," Milford said. "Not only for the footy, but the people around the club ... they’ve not only got a great coach, but a great bunch of boys and it will be hard saying goodbye.
"It was a really tough decision [to leave]. The Raiders have been good and I had to weigh some family issues as I made my decision. They were outstanding during the whole process and Ricky and the players never put any pressure on me.
"Ricky especially has been great for me this year and I’ve learned a lot and I will always be grateful for his help. He’s not only a great coach but he’s a great bloke too and he’s very passionate about the Raiders."
Milford reaffirmed his commitment to the Broncos deal last month, which he admitted was a relief. But the 19-year-old said he didn't feeling any extra pressure playing against the Broncos, especially given it could double as an audition for the injury-hit Queensland State of Origin team.
"Not at all ... I’ve made my decision and I’m comfortable with it, and I’ll treat it like every other game," he said.
Hampered by a knee injury early in the season, Milford said he was back to full fitness and has vowed to give his complete commitment to the Raiders for the remainder of the season.
In particular, he's excited about the chance to finally play NRL with good mate and halfback, Mitch Cornish, who debuted two weeks ago. While the Raiders missed out on Tedesco, Milford compared Cornish, 21, to another Tigers young gun, boom halfback Luke Brooks.
"I remember when I came down for a few camps in my earlier years and trained with [Cornish]," Milford said. "You could tell he was always going to be a great player.
"I think he probably should have made his debut last year and it was a long debut in waiting. Everyone’s got raps on Luke Brooks, but I think Mitch is the type of player who can be just as important for the Raiders. He reads the game well and once he gets some more confidence I think he'll be a huge part of the team in the future."

Read more: Anthony Milford sticks up for Canberra and Raiders

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
"A really tough decision" (to leave).

Heh, yeah sure Milf :takdir: Because 19 year old future superstars love being in contention for the spoon.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
"Canberra’s a great place and doesn’t deserve the bad rap it gets from people who’ve never been here," Milford said. "Not only for the footy, but the people around the club ... they’ve not only got a great coach, but a great bunch of boys and it will be hard saying goodbye.
Interesting choice of words... any amateur psychologist knows what that means. :laugh:

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I am so looking forward to watching Barba and Milford: under the high ball, running it back, coming up behind the line, play making, defence etc

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
I always thought that Milford and Barba were much the same style of player and I always thought to myself how good it would be to have them on the same team (not the Broncos but any team).. low and behold..

very exciting times ahead

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
I am so looking forward to watching Barba and Milford: under the high ball, running it back, coming up behind the line, play making, defence etc

I'm more looking forward to seeing some second phase play, with Milford/Barba backing up Parker/Thaiday and getting the opposition on the back foot from some quality offloads.

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• phoenix
  • Bucking Beads
  • FACTHUNT
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Fozz
  • theshed
  • Scorchie
  • winslow_wong
  • BruiserMk1
  • MasterWright
  • I bleed Maroon
  • bb_gun
  • Organix
  • mitch222
  • leon.bott
  • LittleDavey
  • Dexter
  • Allo
  • Santa
  • Alec
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.