[Official] - Milford signs with Broncos

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I'm more looking forward to seeing some second phase play, with Milford/Barba backing up Parker/Thaiday and getting the opposition on the back foot from some quality offloads.

I knew that :laugh:

(Me too)

Last edited:
Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
BRONCOS-bound Anthony Milford backflipped on a verbal agreement with Canberra coach Ricky Stuart, shunning a club record $3.6 million package to stay at the Raiders. Milford’s worlds will collide in Canberra tomorrow night when the Raiders whiz-kid faces the Broncos club that won a protracted and bitter tug-of-war for his services.

But The Sunday Mail can today reveal how close Milford came to reneging on his Broncos deal. In yet another twist to a complex contractual saga, Milford privately had a change of heart in late April, telling Stuart he would rescind his agreement with the Broncos.

Milford’s manager Sam Ayoub had brokered a two-year deal with Brisbane in November. But under NRL rules the contract could not be formally registered until the end of round 13, which is tomorrow night.

That gave Stuart six months to pitch his vision to Milford. Armed with a three-year extension worth $1.1 million annually, plus an instant pay rise this season, Stuart was confident he had secured a player he rates a once-in-a-generation superstar.
Six weeks ago, Stuart’s spruiking succeeded. He pulled off Mission Impossible. Milford told him he was staying.
But like Kevin Proctor and James Tedesco in recent weeks, Milford slipped the Raiders net after Brisbane played their trump card setting up a meeting with Broncos legend Darren Lockyer.

Lockyer’s involvement was a seismic political play in the fight for Milford. Hearing whispers Milford was wavering, the Broncos turned to their greatest five-eighth and the most-capped player in NRL history.
Lockyer spoke with Milford while he was in camp in early May for Queensland’s under-20s State of Origin clash at Penrith. Now a Brisbane board member, Lockyer listened to Milford, who told him he had concerns about his ability to handle five-eighth duties at the Broncos.

Milford asked if Lockyer, his childhood hero, would be there to support him.
The Broncos legend agreed to a mentoring role.

Lockyer’s words gave Milford comfort he could fire at the Broncos and represented the final nail in Canberra’s coffin.

long article, so i didn't quote the whole thing; rest here:

Error Page

Lockyer's still winning for us ... the guy is just a champion.

Last edited:
I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Locky, you're the heart and soul of our club. I hope you turn Milf into one of the games greats.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
Guess it also tells us that Milford will be five-eight next year.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
So Lockyer is not going to be his halves coach and work with him full time. That sucks.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014

I don't get what you're confused about. Lockyer says in the article he will only be working with Milford when he requires assistance.

He won't be at every training session working with him and I said that sucks....

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I don't get what you're confused about. Lockyer says in the article he will only be working with Milford when he requires assistance.

He won't be at every training session working with him and I said that sucks....

I reckon Lockyer will do everything he has to do to get Milford to be at his best and inspire him

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

TBH I think that is just the way locky is. Humble and unassuming. He isnt going to come out in the paper and declare he will be milfs fulltime mentor. But you can guarantee he will be there as much or as little as he is needed.

Locky is the broncos, the word chsmpion doesn't do him justice

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Nice to hear a decision to run with Milf ( love that word, so many images ) has been made and by the sound of it, no Griffin involved in that decision..

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
The article says Lockyer agreed to a mentoring role for Milford. Likely the reason he ended up honouring his deal with us. It doesn't say anywhere that he won't be there all the time, or working with him at every training session etc etc. Just that he'll take on a mentoring role; whatever that means.

jd87

jd87

NRL Captain
Apr 4, 2014
interesting that broncos pulled out all the stopped to sign milford. even making lockyer have private chats with him do we think he can lead us to a premiourship or are we just that desperate for a first grade half and know that strasser and the nikoramas wont ever cut it in first grade.

im still not convinced he is as good as everyone makes out. dont get me wrong he has tremendous running game. and given space he can excel. but i watched all raiders games closesly this year and i have yet to see any real vision from anthony that the superstar halfs in the competition have or show at a young age e.g DCE

i mean hes far from bad i just dont understand why so many judges are saying hes a once in a generation player so soon. when he has yet to even play a full year in nrl. and other then his tremendous running game he hasnt even showed half of what DCE showed in his first fear years.

in saying that the people saying hes a superstar are far better talent judges then i am :P. so i will be excited to see if he can develop into the superstar player alot of people are saying he will be or will he just have one breakout year and become average once teams work him out?

very interesting times ahead next year thats for sure. and i hope locky and alfie can get the best out of him because god knows griffin wont :takdir:

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Interesting that even Milford thinks he's a fullback atm. I hope we dont ruin him by playing way away from his strengths.

Active Now

• Swordfish
  • Porthoz
  • RolledOates
  • TommieToona
  • BroncoFan94
  • Harry Sack
  • Ronald
  • Bish
  • Galah
  • Wolfie
  • Big Del
  • Santa
  • Astro
  • Scdeac
  • Dash
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Lostboy
  • dirtyharry
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.