NEWS Payne Haas retracts immediate release from Broncos then

Can the Broncos & NRL do something, he is still under contract

The Sydney Roosters are adamant they won’t be making a play for Brisbane and NSW Origin prop Payne Haas but it’s hard to see how they wouldn’t try and entertain it given what’s unfolded at the Broncos in the past 24 hours.

What is certain is the Roosters had some dialogue with the NSW Origin front row forward about six weeks ago but the word at the time was it was filed in the too hard basket given Haas is still signed with Brisbane until the end of 2024.

Haas is under contract and that value has to be seen on the cap... doesn't matter if it's at one club or multiple clubs.

Haas now being on $800k next year the broncos simply say if you take the contract you can have him, we aren't paying a cent.

The salary cap also has to enforce his value... again he's currently on $800k... so any contract moving forward can't be lower than that.

If Haas heads off to french rugby then the NRL will ban him until the length of his contract is up i.e. 2025... they did the same with SBW.

If Haas refuses to play we can then bring legal into it, because he is refusing to fulfil his contract requirements... probably sees us being able to terminate his contract for free, suing him and the NRL should suspend him for the remaining length of his contract, because it's the similar to walking away to a different sport.

If DD wanted to, I think this would be an excellent moment to dig heels in and bring the NRL under serious scrutiny.

Players hold clubs to ransom. Sign for 3 years on a million bucks a season and spend the whole time injured. Too bad for the club.

Get a better offer elsewhere? I want a release! - Too bad for the club.

What is the point of contracts if it's not a 2 way street. Clubs have to commit to the term, no matter what. Players seem to think Contracts are optional.

This thinking needs to end.

Contracts are binding, on both parties. Live up to your end or suffer the consequences.
They need to make players leaving mid contract have a 10% salary fine, and also not be able to sign more than their current deal. Especially the players just leaving for money. Look at what Ryan Matterson did too. Happens every year. But then when a player stinks it up, clubs are forced to pay it.

We can easily get by with Carrigan and Flegler for pretty much the same money that Haas wants. Helps us to re-sign Jensen as well and gives Willison a pathway to first grade.

Only thing I want to come out of a release is not paying a cent of his contract for the next two years. If he wants to head to Bondi and play in front of 500 people they can wear all of his $850k on the cap

This. I'm not overly fussed if he leaves tbh...but we don't pay him a cent if he does.

Try not to break any laws on your way out to your Uber dick bag. We'll be keeping your free car. ****

I replied to this post saying “Rather Loyalty than numbers? 🤔💭 but not if there is a $ at the start of it?” and I suggest you all do the same.
I appreciate the sentiment, but if the guy apparently doesn’t care what his team mates think, what level of concern do you think he has for what the fans think of his actions?

Make no mistake here, the Broncs won't be sitting on their hands. Haas won't be here next year, maybe earlier but when it happens, we will make sure it is to our advantage. We hold all the cards, we do not have to do anything unless it benefits us.

As it stands, he has managed to turn his teammates against him, his club against him, his coach against him, an entire city against him and all because he is a greedy idiot. It will be great to see the back of him not because he isn't a great player but because I am excited to see what we do with his money.

And if I'm the Broncos, I am negotiating with anyone but the Roosters.

I appreciate the sentiment, but if the guy apparently doesn’t care what his team mates think, what level of concern do you think he has for what the fans think of his actions?
Just think it’s hypocritical that he has it on his Instagram. Honestly bloke is a piece of shit and I don’t want him at the club but I also don’t want him getting his way and getting more money for breaking a contract. Need the NRL to do something. Either that or il go stand on his shoes so he hits me and il sue him.

$950000 in 2024
That is an absurd amount of money for a prop.

This is what makes me believe he has not asked for a release because he thinks hes not paid enough. I 100% believe this has all been orchestrated by the roosters. seems so funny whispers have started since meeting with them.

i 100% believe politis has offered him something he cannot refuse if he can get out of his broncos contract so his management has asked for a ridiculous amount that they know the broncos cannot say yes to.

When is something finally going to give with the nrl and this rooster sombrero bs? Every man and his dog know the roosters are corrupt and that politis goes by his own rules. Yet all we all do is make jokes about it such is the power politis wields.

If hass winds up at roosters surely it sends a warning shot to every club in the nrl that no matter how big your star is and no matter what he is being paid or contract length if roosters want him you have no chance?

Even though i think our club will be better off in long run without him shit like this just makes me think why bother supporting this game when the nrl let rubbish like this happen?

Guess what im trying to say is if politis is starting to get that bored and wants to build the most ridiculous nrl team in the history just to see if he can is there any real point in supporting the nrl until the bloke finally pulls the pin?

Are there realistically other clubs that can afford to pay a prop a Million and build a decent roster.
Sure Payne is a phenomenal player but we are developing some depth in the middle with Carrigan, Flegler, Jensen, Palasia and Hetherington in the 1st 17.
Add in Willison, Kennedy, Robati as depth and this is a decent rotation and allows us more room to accommodate Cobbo, TMM and the next round of contract upgrades.
Sure Haas is the pick of the bunch but if he really wants out then it’s not the end of the world.

Make no mistake here, the Broncs won't be sitting on their hands. Haas won't be here next year, maybe earlier but when it happens, we will make sure it is to our advantage. We hold all the cards, we do not have to do anything unless it benefits us.

As it stands, he has managed to turn his teammates against him, his club against him, his coach against him, an entire city against him and all because he is a greedy idiot. It will be great to see the back of him not because he isn't a great player but because I am excited to see what we do with his money.

And if I'm the Broncos, I am negotiating with anyone but the Roosters.

you know, i'd still negotiate with the Roosters, just make them pay a premium.

I think Walker and Manu in exchange for Haas is fair compensation 😁

Haas might be stuck in a situation not entirely of his own making. He was very much a child when he was first asked to commit to something very adult, a contract to play for cash. Access to cash, fame, all the good stuff at 18 and money vampires scuttling about in the shadows everywhere he goes. Bit like early big earner 'Iron Mike Tyson'.

Haas played up a bit and although it was mundane stuff it has made a few quite agitated. I think it is nothing much, ugly yes but in the grand scheme of things in a long life it probably will just be a blip couple of years. He was just a kid after all

In his place I wouldn't know who to trust and who to disappoint. He sounds like he's in a legal bind but on the face of it it's only 2 hundred odd thousand that's at issue and that's a sum you'd be best simply negotiating a settlement for and move on.

Is there a more detailed explanation of the case?

Haas probably could do with moving for a while and Sydney Melbourne England ( on astronomical money ) just so he can get a fresh perspective sound like great options. I think the Broncos should immediately grant him a release. He might be loved by all his team mates and everyone very supportive around him but you need him gone, lovingly gone. How the Broncos proceed is critical to this year's success.

They must look 100% behind Haas and quickly get him gone. It should appear to his team mates he's been totally supported because then it's on Haas that he 'left them' and not the club being *****. You don't need Haas drama, you need a 'no drama' world for team harmony and purpose. If he's gone the rest will adjust quickly enough.
I don't agree with you here @Huge I can't see any of the new guys, Reyno, Capes, TMM, Billy etc thinking this is a good move from Haas. Similarly, I can't see any of the guys who have potentially just signed on or about to sign, thinking that he is doing them any favours. Cobbo, Oates, Herbie, Riki etc.

As far as I know, Haas is already the HIGHEST paid bronco, above our Captain from all reports and he is a Prop.

No one thinks the club is in the wrong here. We signed him on a massive contract after 3 games and a major injury. We've significantly upped his contract of the years....recently too until 2024. It's not like he is in the last year of his contract. We will see 2 new Labour leaders before it's up.

This is all on him. He can go and stew in reserve grade and watch his brother play first grade for the titans for all I care. We should not be giving him a pat on the back out the door unless there is some major major upside for us. Rightly or wrongly, this is the guy we decided we would build our club around. What message does it send if we just let him walk. I'd like to hear what the dressing room thinks, @Wolfie @1910 @Smokin' Joe any insights you can provide?

Honestly I am just sick of supporting our players. I am tired of being excited about our players coming through, buying my membership each year to cheer them on, accepting the mistakes they make because they are learning and then as soon as they get decent the want out in the most disrespectful ways. I mean it is just an assembly line of players that do it and now Haas does this and now apparently Cobbo had been talking to the Roosters so much they thought they had him over the line.

I’m fucking sick of it and pretty sick of this sport if I am being honest.

you know, i'd still negotiate with the Roosters, just make them pay a premium.

I think Walker and Manu in exchange for Haas is fair compensation 😁
Fox will tell us those two are only on about $600k a year combined, unless of course they do get released, then Fox will tell us the Roosters have a war chest of $3 million to spend now.

Seeking a tattooist to do a cover job on some writing on a chest/shoulder area

Screenshot 20220526 211059

Honestly I am just sick of supporting our players. I am tired of being excited about our players coming through, buying my membership each year to cheer them on, accepting the mistakes they make because they are learning and then as soon as they get decent the want out in the most disrespectful ways. I mean it is just an assembly line of players that do it and now Haas does this and now apparently Cobbo had been talking to the Roosters so much they thought they had him over the line.

I’m fucking sick of it and pretty sick of this sport if I am being honest.
I wouldn’t be holding my breath for it to change any time soon either because the club that seems to do the best out of the current player market rules apparently runs the game and if they don’t want any changes or greater transparency then that’s just the way it’s going to be.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Jazza
  • Harry Sack
  • Lostboy
  • Stix
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Sproj
  • sooticus
  • GCBRONCO
  • Bucking Beads
  • Xzei
  • Midean
  • broncotville
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Allo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Wolfie
  • Lurker
  • Shane Tronc
  • Spoon
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.