Peter Wallace officially released to join Panthers

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Re: Rumour - Peter Wallace returning to the Panthers?

Wallace is neither the main reason we are doing rather poorly this year, nor should he be expected to carry the team.

Wallace is for mine a solid half who will probably do better under a different coach and a better 2nd receiver who can organize plays - Wallace can't.

Wallace is not a leader nor an organizer, but when he is on, which is now and then, he executes plays well without being a weapon like DCE or Johnson

This thread is about Wallace leaving. If Wallace is leaving, we need a half. We have no one to replace him (enlighten me if we do that's an improvement).

I have heard a rumour on this forum that Sandow is a possible signing. My belief is that Sandow will bring more to the Broncos than Wallace.

I think the team spirit, the culture, the passion of playing for the Broncos (yes, I feel it) and, if our form continues to lift with new ways of doing things first seen last year and last week, then I think Sandow will be a good addition to our halves - given the contractual caveats others have posted.

If not, who will replace Wallace?

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

The problem is, if we were to let Wallace go, we'd have to make the difference up elsewhere.

You guys have seen Moneyball right? If not, whatcha waiting for! Anyways, in Moneyball, Pitt's character Billy Bean proposes that instead of trying to replace his superstar talent with other superstars that they look to bolster their roster with a number of astute purchases that collectively bring as much if not more value to the team.

In a nut shell, that's what we've got to do. Signing Sandow to replace Wallace and deciding that the job is done is simply not the right way of going about it. We need to make the difference elsewhere, whether it's upfront in the forwards or in the backs with a proper fullback and superior players outwide that's where we need to recruit.

I know this is the nature of a sporting forum but it annoys me how disrespectful fans can be at times. True, Wallace has played some bloody ordinary games. However, I don't think it's ever been through a lack of effort, ever. Wallace cares as much about the club as we do and in spite of what I may think of him as a player he'll always have my respect in that regard.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008

Pete, I love Moneyball. For those of you who haven't seen it, do watch it. Aaron Sorkin wrote it, and Aaron Sorkin is a god.

To get back on topic though, there's a problem with trying to be like Billy Beane. The A's never won the pennant. There's value in what he did but the team with Jeter and A-Rod or Pujols still win more World Series than what Billy has.

We don't have a Jeter or A-Rod or Pujols (though we sure do have some poo hole players, amirite?). As for Wallace, yes he always tries hard, I'd never question his effort or commitment, just his lack of talent. And as for getting players who bring more value to the team, I again think this is why Wallace should go. Macca is creatively bankrupt, Norman is leaving and whilst a great finisher and runner Hoffman also has no vision. Prince's vision is still sometimes around but like most old men it's not like it once was. You take Hodges away and we lose even more of our attacking prowess, and given Wallace's game I think adding a more creative player at his position is a great way to add value to our team.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

This is true Ari but what you neglect to mention is that Beane's philosophy was adopted by the Boston Red Sox which lead to their first pendant since 1918 (so says Sorkin, and who is he to lie to me?). It can work with the right budget and folks no other club is richer than ours.

Grimmiq

Grimmiq

NYC Player
Apr 3, 2013

The philosophy doesn't translate that well to NRL, stats tell a lot more about a player in baseball than they do in league..look at what they've been saying about Corey Norman, his stats are right up there, I think a commentator/reporter said he was the 2nd most effective player in the game behind Inglis with his assists, kicking metres and run metres..

I don't think we need a superstar player..we just need a combination of the right types of players, unfortunately I don't see that happening as it would mean Hook would need to step down a couple of his apparent favourites. Sandow would be fine, but only if he was partnered with Wallace instead of replacing him..he needs a structured partner, otherwise we'd get him doing stupid crap every 2nd set.

Fast, Support orientated Fullback (locke/gardner)
Fast Wing (I really hope we went after Naiqama seriously)
Big prop (Evans/Napa/Hoare)

After that, save for Milford..

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

I never suggested employing Peter Brand's system, just the approach that we shouldn't go out and try and directly replace Wallace.

Happy that we have some Sorkin fans in the crowd tho.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010

Back to Wallace, I wonder what's going on behind the scenes with him and Penrith.

I'm kind of expecting a low-key announcement at the end of the year.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010

Pete, I love Moneyball. For those of you who haven't seen it, do watch it. Aaron Sorkin wrote it, and Aaron Sorkin is a god.

To get back on topic though, there's a problem with trying to be like Billy Beane. The A's never won the pennant. There's value in what he did but the team with Jeter and A-Rod or Pujols still win more World Series than what Billy has.

We don't have a Jeter or A-Rod or Pujols (though we sure do have some poo hole players, amirite?). As for Wallace, yes he always tries hard, I'd never question his effort or commitment, just his lack of talent. And as for getting players who bring more value to the team, I again think this is why Wallace should go. Macca is creatively bankrupt, Norman is leaving and whilst a great finisher and runner Hoffman also has no vision. Prince's vision is still sometimes around but like most old men it's not like it once was. You take Hodges away and we lose even more of our attacking prowess, and given Wallace's game I think adding a more creative player at his position is a great way to add value to our team.
You just listed a host of players/positions we need to address, yet your solution is replacing Wallace. Yeah, makes sense...

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008

McCullough is a creatively bankrupt hooker, who is slow in everything he does in attack but is solid in defence.

Wallace is a creatively bankrupt halfback, who is slow in everything he does in attack but is solid in defence.

Replace them both for all I care. But don't make out that one isn't as shit as the other. Only real difference is that one is on more money.

And my solution isn't just to replace Wallace. My #1 solution would have been to go after Sam Tomkins hard. But I'm not Paul White or Andrew Gee, so we have to keep expectations realistic. We won't sign someone who is exceptionally talented, but we might just get rid of someone who's not. 'bout as close as a recruitment win we can expect.

Last edited:
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

And has more upside.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012

Back to Wallace, I wonder what's going on behind the scenes with him and Penrith.

I'm kind of expecting a low-key announcement at the end of the year.

Won't be low-key from my end if it pans out the way I'm praying it will........

tumblr_lzq4fkId8n1qa2cleo1_500_zps21ff0c56.gif

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008

parra style cleanout! parra style cleanout! parra style cleanout!

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013

Having rookie coaches has not helped Wallace one bit.

He played his best football under WB in 2008. He has not improved since then and in a lot of ways his playmaking has gone backwards. Being under an experienced coach in Ivan could really be the making of him.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009

Having rookie coaches has not helped Wallace one bit.

He played his best football under WB in 2008. He has not improved since then and in a lot of ways his playmaking has gone backwards. Being under an experienced coach in Ivan could really be the making of him.

I disagree. I reckon 2009 was his best season with us. We looked Grand Final bound or at least we looked like we could have matched Melbourne in the Prelim Final. But once Wallace went down in the dying minutes against the Dragons and they went with K.Hunt in the halves we were never a chance. Wallace never really recovered from that injury as he was playing some brilliant football particularly his inside passing.

R

Raw Boned Youngster

QCup Player
Mar 9, 2008

the problem is the tactical bankruptcy of the coach.
There appears to be no creative or imaginative plays that are articulated and communicated at training. Our coach and the school boy like mediocrity of our administration is the problem. it is comical to think that our fan bois expect this off the cuff brilliance from Wallace and McCulloch et al. The coach is to blame because we are a disjointed rabble.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010

the problem is the tactical bankruptcy of the coach.
There appears to be no creative or imaginative plays that are articulated and communicated at training. Our coach and the school boy like mediocrity of our administration is the problem. it is comical to think that our fan bois expect this off the cuff brilliance from Wallace and McCulloch et al. The coach is to blame because we are a disjointed rabble.
It pains me to say that I agree with this. We do need some coaching brilliance to restore flair into this team.

Yet, more important than all, is restoring defensive starch, resolve and attitude to this team!

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008

Yet, more important than all, is restoring defensive starch, resolve and attitude to this team!

Would need a defensive coach for a lot of that. Get rid of the "performance"/pilates coaches.

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008

Would need a defensive coach for a lot of that. Get rid of the "performance"/pilates coaches.
And get sexy bodies how?

Unread

Active Now

• mitch222
  • ivanhungryjak
  • thenry
  • barker
  • johnny plath
  • Aldo
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Wolfie
  • Broncorob
  • phoenix
  • Xzei
  • Waynesaurus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.