Peter Wallace officially released to join Panthers

R

Raw Boned Youngster

QCup Player
Mar 9, 2008
Re: Rumour - Peter Wallace returning to the Panthers?

I was under the impression the feelers came from Penrith. Wallace will go to Newcastle with Wayne.

M

Manifesto

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2012

Actually he publicly turned down an offer from the Panthers to stay loyal to the Broncos not long ago.. You've got to feel a bit sorry for him.

Yea, I gotta agree with this. I don't think I've ever mentioned my views on Wallace on here, but I probably have been a supporter of him. This last 18 months has been had to watch though. I think Wallace is a good supporting half and good at playing a 2nd fiddle approach to a dominant half, but he himself is not a purely dominant half in the mould of a DCE, Thurston, Cronk. That's probably been his downfall, as he has been required to play the dominant playmaker last year and equally dominant this year with Prince (who quite frankly should have retired rather than come to us). I reckon a hypothetical halves pairing of Wallace-DCE could work IMO. At the end of the day, it probably is for the best for both Wallace and the Broncos if he is let go, but the manner in which these revelations has come about is unfortunate and could have been handled better.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008

Actually he publicly turned down an offer from the Panthers to stay loyal to the Broncos not long ago.. You've got to feel a bit sorry for him.

I agree.

I think it was a bit piss weak of the Broncos not to tell him sooner, they would have known he wasn't wanted before the Penrith offer.

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

I love the attitude of the Broncos here "it's not working...let's move on". Would have preferred to move him to hooker and get rid of McCullough, but something tells me he wants to be a halfback or nothing.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013

Farewell ranga.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013

Wallace must realize by now that as a Halfback, he just isn't up to it. He's had so many changes and flubbed all of them. We didn't get blasted out of the Finals in '09 because he wasn't there, we got blasted out because Melbourne were cheating the cap. Nothing more, nothing less.

It was cold of the club to leave it late to screw him out of going to Penrith, but as others have said, they must've had their hand forced by something big. We'll see, I guess. As for Wallace, I wish him all the best, but unless Penrith are okay with being the second choice, I think he's career in first grade may be over.

Donald

Donald

QCup Player
Mar 25, 2013

Don't think his 1st grade career is over. That's a bit over the top. He would fit in at the sharks beside carney or even the storm. Just depends on how much they want to spend and how much he is willing to take.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013

Protected species.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010

No Cookies | The Courier-Mail

PETER Wallace will remain with the Broncos next season.

And if even he wanted out there are few options available because Brisbane are among few clubs with salary cap space for next year.

Wallace has been demoted from halfback to the bench for the Broncos clash against North Queensland Friday night and media reports stated he had also been told to look for another club for next year.

Broncos operations manager Andrew Gee Wednesday denied they had offered him a release and Wallace's manager said his client had not been asked and did not want to leave.

However, three clubs - Penrith, Newcastle and St George Illawarra - were after Wallace's signature had the Broncos granted him a release.

After reports emerged last month of Penrith tabling an offer, the Broncos came out on the front foot stating they would not release him.

The interest died and the three clubs have moved on.

Wallace's manager Allan Gainey said Wallace would fight to get his spot back at Red Hill.

"The Broncos are on record as saying they don't want to release him and I haven't heard any different," Gainey said.

Wallace is off contract after next season and is unlikely to re-sign with the Broncos, who are expected to lure two marquee playmakers for the 2015 season.

If they land the big fish of Cameron Smith, they would need to fork out $1.5 million per season, leaving little room to re-sign other playmakers.

Wallace has just become a father for the first time and settled in Brisbane after moving north from the Panthers in 2008. The tireless defender is not having his greatest season, but has been a constant source of effort in the Broncos' inconsistent defence.

Wallace has not missed a minute this year, but will play hooker off the bench against the Cowboys.

The last time he played hooker the Broncos were belted 56-18 by the Warriors in round 12. Asked if Wallace had asked for a release, coach Anthony Griffin said: "No."

Last edited by a moderator:
winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013

I hope he kills it at hooker. Macca is one of the weak links who gets away with under performing. How he gets called future cam smith is absolute ridicule

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008

i cant believe people are angry with how the broncos handled this. we've given this guy well over $2mil over the last 6 years while hes given us next to nothing on the field apart from effort, and somehow the club is in the wrong? i dont think so.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013

But.. Ben Ikin said so.. surely Ikin has reliable sources..

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

I think we need to stop believing what the papers say as gospel. The club are doing the only decent thing they can hear by saying we want to keep him, makes him sound like an attractive prospect to other clubs. There are few homes for him now and a lot of clubs with little room left in the salary cap. So if a club is looking for a halfback/hooker and are thinking about him, the broncos would be doing him no favours by telling all and sundry that he is unwanted

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008

Look it's pretty obvious what I said yesterday is true. Club has taken Wal aside and said "it's very unlikely we'll extend your deal beyond next season, so if you get a good offer and want to go at the end of this year, we won't stand in your way".

Both the Australian and Courier Mail articles back that up as the likely scenario.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008

i cant believe people are angry with how the broncos handled this. we've given this guy well over $2mil over the last 6 years while hes given us next to nothing on the field apart from effort, and somehow the club is in the wrong? i dont think so.

Exactly. I don't get it. It's not like the club is saying they're tearing up his contract and wish him good luck! He's got a contract with us for 2014. He doesn't have to do anything right now. But he can start looking for 2015 as soon as this season is finished. If anything the club is being kind to him, rather than the option of being coy about negotiations next year when he wants an extension, string him along and then come August say "yeah, nah, thanks". THAT would be a low blow.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013

Anyone checked on Mr Fourex? I'm hoping he doesn't have any rope lying around....

Active Now

• Santa
  • Wolfie
  • winslow_wong
  • Harry Sack
  • bazza
  • Sproj
  • Bronco bob
  • kiwibronco
  • leon.bott
  • GCBRONCO
  • Culhwch
  • Lostboy
  • Gaz
  • Bucking Beads
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Hoof Hearted
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.