Player Movements / Rumours 2011/2012

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Incorrect.

Petero left because he felt Bennett and others let him down. He had the chance a couple of years earlier to go to NQ on better money which the Broncos couldn't match, Bennett at the time and this is his quoted words said "we will look after you" at the next contract. Fast forward a few years Penrith came in and offered him a bloody good deal and the Broncos refused to go near it, rightly or wrongly he felt dudded by the club. Shows you the character of the man that he has put that behind him and come back (although the people involved in that decision no longer work at Red Hill).

I think both you and Kaz are wrong, and right. The truth lies somewhere between both stories.

And as Alec said, it comes down to a lack of judgement and leadership by Cullen. I am CERTAIN if he'd asked Bennett, Benny would've said "look, do what you can to keep him". But he didn't.

I have no doubt Bennett promised Petero his pay day.
I have no doubt Petero instructed his manager to cash in on that pay day.

I also have no doubt that Cullen was the fly in the ointment that stopped the 2 parties coming to an understanding. I also have no doubt Petero's manager could've done better.

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
Cullen poked his head into football matters. Should have just stuck to running the business side of the club.

OXY-351

OXY-351

NRL Player
Oct 1, 2008
Cullen poked his head into football matters. Should have just stuck to running the business side of the club.

Exactly. How much do you see Paul Whites face in the sports section of the news? It seemed like Cullen was in it weekly, if not more often.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Bunch of re-signings.

Steve Michaels (2015) and Jordan Rankin (2014) are going to remain at the Gold Coast.

Do the Titans want to fold?

There could be some talent in Rankin yet but right now he's the ugly duckling of the Gold Coast. Not a half and not really much of a fullback. Maybe he's a lock?

Michaels on the other hand...why would you bother? The guy has clearly been hampered by his injuries at the Broncos and is barely Qld Cup standard. Good on him, but gee the Titans aren't doing themselves any favours.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
When the Titans list their gains and losses which category do those two come under?

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Michaels is ok but a 3 year deal ffs. That's right up there with Zillman getting a 5 year deal

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Curiously, what's the deal with Michael Parker-Walshe. I'm pretty sure he's free to sign with a team for next year? I know he left Nth Qld due to home sickness so there's probably only two places he'd go.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Wonder if playing for the GC affiliate tips us where he's off to?

He'd be a handy pick up for either club really. Can play a variety of positions but would like to see how he performs in the centres.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I rate Lewis, but I don't think Cronulla needed him.

Can't believe they traded Jeremy Smith for him. I could understand if it was Anthony Tupou, but Smith is a different type of player and one of the toughest in the competition. Lewis is plenty skillfull, but Wade Graham & Paul Gallen already play a similar role to Lewis.

I think they would have been better off luring a young NYC back looking for an opportunity than another experienced backrow.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
They'll have the best forward pack next season. But they are still Cronulla.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I tend to agree with Big Pete. Lewis is a great signing but did Cronulla really need another backrower?? Gallen plays 80mins and Graham should be playing big minutes next year. Add in Bukuya and Tupou and Smith.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
They should move Gallen to prop to partner Gibbs. I agree great player hardly needed though.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Smith is gone but surely you just have Graham step up into that role?

Tyrone Peachey was a pretty damn good prospect in the 20s. I'm sure he could be blooded on the bench.

I reckon it could backfire.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Sharks are creatively inept - adding Lewis to their side is nothing but a good improvement. And as Brizz says if you move Gallen to prop then all of a sudden you have a best prop and Lewis, Graham and Bukuya in the backrow. Lewis and Graham either side of the ruck, Todd Carney in between. Short of buying a half who doesn't exist on the market this is the biggest improvement they could have made. In their current state the Sharks are nothing but pretenders so frankly they are risking very little by jettisoning Smith.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Sharks are creatively inept - adding Lewis to their side is nothing but a good improvement. And as Brizz says if you move Gallen to prop then all of a sudden you have a best prop and Lewis, Graham and Bukuya in the backrow. Lewis and Graham either side of the ruck, Todd Carney in between. Short of buying a half who doesn't exist on the market this is the biggest improvement they could have made. In their current state the Sharks are nothing but pretenders so frankly they are risking very little by jettisoning Smith.

but they aren't creatively inept because of the lack of ball playing backrowers or offloads.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
The biggest improvement they could have made was signing another back.

Gordon could prove to be a good signing.

Lewis though, is a ton of money for a player role they already have occupied by two players.

Active Now

• barker
  • Financeguy
  • Stix
  • Jazza
  • Swordfish
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Alec
  • Brocko
  • TimWhatley
  • Bucking Beads
  • Waynesaurus
  • Big Del
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Wolfie
  • Harry Sack
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.