POST GAME Preliminary Final: Broncos vs Warriors

Don't be sad about all the negativity surrounding the Broncos. Lap it up, this is what the 90s were like and it was awesome. Feast on the hate and carry on like a one eyed Broncos supporter. It drives them mad!

Look at the trolls that come here, like a broken record they point out how biased we are boohoo you guys are hypocrites, you're arrogant. Damn right we are and we're gonna flog all you pricks until the end of time.

Can we talk about the at the ground commentator trying to get a warriors chant going in the 2nd half. Is this not a broncos home final?

AND THEN It was almost insulting to the warriors trying to get the warriors chant going again while they’re down by 30points with 5 minutes to go?

Wtf was that. If it’s a broncos home game then we should be cheering the broncos only shouldn’t we?
Yep I hate it and that asshole did it in the Storm game too. They need to **** him off.

Yep I hate it and that asshole did it in the Storm game too. They need to **** him off.

He tried to get a Warriors chant going at the Storm game? 😉

It's all a bit strange though, I'm assuming it's a stadium employee and not a Broncos employee but surely the club should be having a word to them about it.

He tried to get a Warriors chant going at the Storm game? 😉

It's all a bit strange though, I'm assuming it's a stadium employee and not a Broncos employee but surely the club should be having a word to them about it.
I dont know if they maybe brought in a new guy because it's finals and the ticketing, etc. is under NRL??

They play intro's, etc. for both teams... and even a different set of beers at the bar... no XXXX

The only iconic thing with the regular season guy was playing pretty terrible music and yelling Kapow every time Marty touched the ball.... if it's a new guy or not he needs to be replaced anyway haha

What an awesome afternoon/evening. We got to the Caxton hotel at 4:45pm to watch the Lions game and the whole street was pumping already. A contingent of Wahs supporters had taken up residence at the Lord Alfred and were in full song. The Caxton hotel beer garden was absolutely packed, even compared to two weeks before for the Storm game. Stunned belief when the lions went down by 5 goals but as the Lions crawled back with each goal everyone was going nuts as if that was the game everyone came to see. Had to bail at half-time to walk down to Suncorp.

Really felt the atmosphere in Suncorp was probably greater than most SOO games.

Our forwards dominated theirs, almost made them look second rate. We need that energy again next week because we're up against the elite pack in the comp with Leota, JFH, Yep and Martin. Have have have to match them in the first 20mins and if we can then I think our forwards have the better fitness and can take over.

Hard to pick anyone in particular that stood out because most played well but great to see Billy just get better and better.

So glad his 'off' night was lat night. Walshy also admitted he was a bag of nerves come game time so hopefully that little bit of experience last night will stand him in good stead next week. It would be nice if B. Slater would have a word with Walshy to settle him on game day. Purely as one Queenslander to another of course.
if thats an off night....will take it! As always he makes mistakes but doesn't dwell. Thats the threat no one can combat.

I made the mistake of checking social media today, I saw multiple people complaining that Cobbo didn't get sent off for a professional foul for his first up tackle on CNK. So that was fun, then a lot of people were calling us the Denver Broncos with the refs in our pockets and calling Walsh the biggest flog in history and it was all just a bit sad. I was just about to log out when I saw the below from one of my own family members. I started to develop a bit of a migraine at that point and decided that I'd had enough social media for this year.

View attachment 24387

I gave up trying to communicate with social media “fans” a long time ago.

If their room temperature IQ doesn’t get you then their grammar will.

The pass was obviously forward, they both were, it hardly decided the game though and it’s not like NZ didn’t have a couple of calls go their way. DWZ was clearly offside for the intercept, no way he made it back to the ref and I did rewind the footage to check on that. There was also the pass that went behind Staggs, any basic logic will tell you that Staggs was either a long way offside or the pass was forward, I don’t think he was pinged for being offside.

I'm really enjoying our hooker rotation of Walters and Smoothy. They both offer something different, but they both compliment the team equally well. I feel like it could be the difference if the scores are tight.

Walters has become a bit of a scheming hooker who can play eyes up footy and can test the opposition middle forwards back through the ruck. He keeps them honest and keeps our forwards rolling on to the ball. His support play has become excellent and he is picking his moments well.

The way Walters has taken a bit more ownership in attack means we aren't just passing to Reynolds all the time. He has become a threat around the ruck himself, and it lets Reynolds and Mam pick their moments too. This compresses the defence and creates space on the edge. On the flip side, when the opposition chose to neglect the threat of Walters and the defence decides to slide to cover Walsh, he has become good enough to make them pay.

Then, by the time Smoothy comes on, some fatigue has set in, and the focus of our attack stops being through the ruck, and instead shifts to the oppositions edges. Smoothy has simple instructions, and he executes it well. He is able to supply long, crisp passes from dummy half to Reynolds and Mam, which then engages Walsh and lets him bring the the rest of our backline into play.

It's during this period where we often put on some really nice attacking shapes to get Walsh one-on-one with a tiring edge forward and it often breaks open the game. I think it's brilliant coaching and the way the team adapt and play to the strengths of each hooker makes us hard to defend against.
BW did a couple of off the ground 20m passes last night. He is certainly looking the craft. He might not have the natural ability of Mozer...but if he can instill his work ethic we are in good hands

BW did a couple of off the ground 20m passes last night. He is certainly looking the craft. He might not have the natural ability of Mozer...but if he can instill his work ethic we are in good hands
learning not looking...my bad

I remember when Isaako left the club I had a bit of a sook on here about - as a Kiwi - never really having had a Kiwi gun to get behind on this team, lots of boys coming thru over the years but nobody really making a great fist of it for very long. Having a player like Jordan on the team when I was young would have been massive but I'm still really grateful as an adult to have him here, such a wonderful representative not only for our club but for our people as well, Māori as well as just Kiwis in general.
Alex Glenn was the OG kiwi. He might have gone a season too long but his first few years he was a really likeable gun.

Never thought I'd say this 2 years ago but mozer might have to wait for Walters to retire to get the 9. He's 30. His improvement is insane. And even then mozer will definitely have a fight on his hands if smoothy sticks around (23 or 24 I think).

This might get laughed at but if we win a premiership with him at 9 and we keep top of the ladder levels for a few years billy walters may go down as our best ever hooker. It's not too hyperbole when you think about it, hooker is the only position we haven't had a great-great. Kerrod Walters was but I wouldn't call him an immovable force in the position.

So we now get a crack at the riff raff. I’m still waiting to hear if Cleary passed his HIA? Him sitting in the post presser with a bandaged and blooded Mellon and not a word was said about him not being made to come off.

Billy Walters was inspirational tonight. That snipe from dummy half was exactly what we needed to calm the boys nerves after the shock of the warriors blitz try.

The amount of yards we ‘took’ up the middle was immense. Pat, Flegs and Payne were relentless.

If we can bring that perfect game that we’ve been threatening all year I’m convinced we’ll blow Penrith away.

Finally, I don’t think the sentimental side of me will be able to keep it together next week when I see Kevvie and Billy embrace. As a father he’s done everything possible to raise his boy and I’m sure Kim will be looking down on them both with an immense sense of pride and satisfaction,

Well done Broncos. Let’s enjoy the week and then celebrate the weekend like the Broncos of old.

Six as a player, and with this current squad heaven knows how many as a coach.

Thanks Kevvie!
Amen

haven’t seen anything mentioned yet about that. Incredible how such an important issue like head trauma is ‘missed’ but an irrelevant forward pass is major headlines.

I know I’m biased about the Broncos but giving applause to the panthers shed, warriors efforts, and PNG this morning and barely a well done Broncos just proves yet again it’s us against the world.

Was good to see Jharal, Lexi and JK at the game with Patty Mills. Jordie didn't waste any time and put this sweet vlog together.

I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that come out of Jamayne's mouth.

Just watching the press conference finally. Kev is definitely not done. Just like fielding a second string team in the final round, everything about his coaching was and is based on winning the grand final.

The smartarse remarks to the offloads being one. Did they bring out the offloads to trouble the Warriors, but plan (as he said) to put them away against the Panthers? Was it a plan to test them out, see if they stick, in prep to roll them out again next week? Or are they playing 4D chess, will be using the guise or threat of offloads so Penrith have to release a player in the tackle (or have other defenders move up past the line in order to spoil / prevent them), all of which would get them less numbers in the ruck (or stranded defenders on the next play) in order to counter their smothering defence?

As I alluded to earlier, the Briers tactic of supports would also be a huge factor in preventing them from getting numbers in the tackle, as they can't commit to a single runner. And even just Herbie and Staggs, the former in particular, with his amazing ability to get between defenders and either poke his nose through for a quick PTB, or at the very least drawing in 3 defenders (while not getting dragged back) will be epic.

For mine, Penrith have won the last few years with their suffocating defence. They are allowed to leave early, or never retreat back the 10, because that's what the NRL has deemed acceptable for them (like a NAS tunnel-ball, these are just the things they allow). They hold down longer, they push the player back to thr ground with 2nd or 3rd efforts, and they just frustrate the living **** out of the opposition. And then the moment they have the ball, they get a bullshit yardage penalty. Consequently the opposition makes mistakes, fatigue quickly, and give them field position and opportunities. They are only as successful as they are because they are gifted so many more opportunities than their opposition, and it's been well document they are no more potent (less potent than others in fact) on an opportunity vs points ratio.

Those stats also show that we are afforded much fewer opportunities, but we only 6 points behind the Panthers all year despite this. We don't need the same field position and opportunities. We don't need multiple repeat sets or for the refs to gift us cheap metres. We attack from wherever it is that we have the ball. But if we can somehow also overcome their smothering defence, use our big guys to show them who can dominate the rucks, how we can win the battle of the middle without resorting to cheap shots or niggle, and actually earn ourselves the same number of opportunities that they get handed on a platter, we can not just win this, we can bury them. And I'd say that Kev and the people he has amassed around him already have that side of things sorted.

Just watching the press conference finally. Kev is definitely not done. Just like fielding a second string team in the final round, everything about his coaching was and is based on winning the grand final.

The smartarse remarks to the offloads being one. Did they bring out the offloads to trouble the Warriors, but plan (as he said) to put them away against the Panthers? Was it a plan to test them out, see if they stick, in prep to roll them out again next week? Or are they playing 4D chess, will be using the guise or threat of offloads so Penrith have to release a player in the tackle (or have other defenders move up past the line in order to spoil / prevent them), all of which would get them less numbers in the ruck (or stranded defenders on the next play) in order to counter their smothering defence?

As I alluded to earlier, the Briers tactic of supports would also be a huge factor in preventing them from getting numbers in the tackle, as they can't commit to a single runner. And even just Herbie and Staggs, the former in particular, with his amazing ability to get between defenders and either poke his nose through for a quick PTB, or at the very least drawing in 3 defenders (while not getting dragged back) will be epic.

For mine, Penrith have won the last few years with their suffocating defence. They are allowed to leave early, or never retreat back the 10, because that's what the NRL has deemed acceptable for them (like a NAS tunnel-ball, these are just the things they allow). They hold down longer, they push the player back to thr ground with 2nd or 3rd efforts, and they just frustrate the living **** out of the opposition. And then the moment they have the ball, they get a bullshit yardage penalty. Consequently the opposition makes mistakes, fatigue quickly, and give them field position and opportunities. They are only as successful as they are because they are gifted so many more opportunities than their opposition, and it's been well document they are no more potent (less potent than others in fact) on an opportunity vs points ratio.

Those stats also show that we are afforded much fewer opportunities, but we only 6 points behind the Panthers all year despite this. We don't need the same field position and opportunities. We don't need multiple repeat sets or for the refs to gift us cheap metres. We attack from wherever it is that we have the ball. But if we can somehow also overcome their smothering defence, use our big guys to show them who can dominate the rucks, how we can win the battle of the middle without resorting to cheap shots or niggle, and actually earn ourselves the same number of opportunities that they get handed on a platter, we can not just win this, we can bury them. And I'd say that Kev and the people he has amassed around him already have that side of things sorted.
What he said. :-)

Active Now

• Astro
  • Foordy
  • Broncorob
  • Mighty Bronx
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • broncoscope
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.