POST GAME Preliminary Final: Broncos vs Warriors

I think next week is a bit of a free hit for the team.

They went into last night as overwhelming favourites and were expected to win... but they still had to turn up and do it.

Next week Penrith are rightly favourites and our best chance of getting a win is to go balls to the wall in attack.

If it comes off we're every chance of winning... if it doesn't then we weren't expected to be much of a chance and we tried our shot, but it didnt come off.

Pressure will still be there, but you'd think they'll be a little more relaxed coming in as the underdogs... siege mentality can be in full effect

The Storm created plenty of good chances against them until they succumbed to fatigue and they are pretty ponderous in attack these days. I think we can put point on them. Our issue is if we play with the kind of errors we did against the Warriors we could concede a few as well.

I hate to compare the two codes but in the AFL there were players on the losing side who were inconsolable, compare that to our code where players from the other team are having a giggle and a catch up session out there.

If we had lost and had to see that, I wouldn't take it so well.

A lot less movement and no rep footy in the AFL to develop friendships outside of your own team.

I got no doubt they feel it if they lose but they don't have to wail and gnash their teeth as soon as the siren sounds, at least revel in your friends happiness for awhile.

I'm actually all for it if they get it right. Seems stupid in this day and age not to have the bunker rule on them.

Personally i don't care if they change the rule or not allowing the bunker to rule on forward passes.

my issue is the reasoning they are doing it and the fact that nothing has changed from the last several years where they were screaming from the rooftops that the bunker can't rule on forward passes because of x, y and z ... well, x, y and z still exist.

so the question that needs to be asked is have the NRL been lying to the fans about the ability to use the bunker for forward passes. or have they allowed the media to hound them into implementing an unreliable, inaccurate rule. either way the NRL don't come out of this looking good (although what else is new).

Ok, who was it!? 😂🤣

Social media: bRoncOs FaNs alWAys bLaMe thE rEfS

Also social media: bROncOs oNly wOn beCoS oF thE rEfS

I made the mistake of checking social media today, I saw multiple people complaining that Cobbo didn't get sent off for a professional foul for his first up tackle on CNK. So that was fun, then a lot of people were calling us the Denver Broncos with the refs in our pockets and calling Walsh the biggest flog in history and it was all just a bit sad. I was just about to log out when I saw the below from one of my own family members. I started to develop a bit of a migraine at that point and decided that I'd had enough social media for this year.

I made the mistake of checking social media today, I saw multiple people complaining that Cobbo didn't get sent off for a professional foul for his first up tackle on CNK. So that was fun, then a lot of people were calling us the Denver Broncos with the refs in our pockets and calling Walsh the biggest flog in history and it was all just a bit sad. I was just about to log out when I saw the below from one of my own family members. I started to develop a bit of a migraine at that point and decided that I'd had enough social media for this year.

View attachment 24387
I stumbled on one thread about Walsh disrespecting Maori culture for sticking his tongue out. Apparently it has a specific name but has anyone else heard about it?

I stumbled on one thread about Walsh disrespecting Maori culture for sticking his tongue out. Apparently it has a specific name but has anyone else heard about it?

Name is Pūkana. But it can mean lots of different things, like most things in Maori culture. This is just people finding some reason to be upset he wasn't running around for the Warriors.

I cringe when I see people carrying on like this. That’d be like me taking offence at a kiwi sticking their tongue out. “Don’t you know that’s rude in our culture?” 🙄

How can you not love Riki!

I remember when Isaako left the club I had a bit of a sook on here about - as a Kiwi - never really having had a Kiwi gun to get behind on this team, lots of boys coming thru over the years but nobody really making a great fist of it for very long. Having a player like Jordan on the team when I was young would have been massive but I'm still really grateful as an adult to have him here, such a wonderful representative not only for our club but for our people as well, Māori as well as just Kiwis in general.

The Storm created plenty of good chances against them until they succumbed to fatigue and they are pretty ponderous in attack these days. I think we can put point on them. Our issue is if we play with the kind of errors we did against the Warriors we could concede a few as well.
Yep warriors punished us for every error, but do warriors have the best looking attack inside the 20?

Their shape last night was ridiculous... they get so tight but go so deep into the line... it looked very hard to deal with.

I havent watched a replay though.

Panthers on the other hand look a little more cookie cutter and death by a thousand cuts... play to a quick ptb and then spread it off the back... they like to hit Martin and play off the back of it.

Warriors just seemed to get into a shape and then Egan or SJ would dig right in and suddenly the edge defence is ripped to shreds

Think Walshy did it towards Riki, Billy also done it a few times

Sounds idiotic to me. @Nashy is right, it's part of pukana, but unless Reece comes out and says it's what he's trying to do I would never in a million years think it's what he's trying to do. I'm Māori but I'm not mad enough to think that anyone simply poking their tongue out is trying to appropriate the culture.

I thought the middles were outstanding for the Broncos. The Warriors absolutely bullied the Knights the week before but they just couldn't handle the onslaught. Haas, Carrigan and Flegler all played like they were possessed and Billy capitilised on it and had his best ever game of football.

Along with the work of Herbie who got through the work of two men, it just laid the platform for Walsh to weave his magic and he is just a sensation. He's put himself right up there with the O'Neils, the Lockyers, the Hodges' and he isn't afraid of the big play.

It was an all-round good team effort, but it was those men who set the stage and gave Kevie the opportunity to take Reynolds off with 20 to go.

As impressive as they were, there were a couple of moments through out the game that put me on edge. I hope Cobbo has his head screwed on, because that chase on CNK was extremely costly, especially when he had an opportunity to get there and possibly open the scoring.

That passage where the Broncos went from 24-8, to 24-12 was really disappointing. They were well on top at that point, all they had to do was kick into a corner, bash the Warriors and pick up the pieces the next set. That fifth try was really difficult to get and it was a massive shame that the try came off a blatant forward pass.

I don't think it decided the game, I'm just worried it's given the team a short-cut when they really ought to knuckle down and play smarter.

Still, there's plenty of ways to skin the cat and this is a team that typically plays to the level of their opposition. They're high on confidence, they've given themselves every chance and they put on a great show infront of a record crowd.

It's a great time to be a Broncos fan and hopefully we look back on it as fondly as we did in 2006.

Weren't the warriors talking up Reece's kiwi heritage when they originally signed him 🤔🤔

Yeah his biological mother is Māori I believe, although I don't think he grew up in/around the culture and so was looking to find out more about that when he was down here.

Is this about Billy Walters again? That guy sure has improved at 9 since we were all saying he was shit.

Did you think he's good enough to replace Reynolds at 7?
Many of us never said he was shit. Also why are you asking if a hooker is good enough to replace our halfback? Credibility still dead.

Active Now

• NSW stables
  • Mustafur
  • I bleed Maroon
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Manofoneway
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.